Cranberry sauce: Canned or Homemade

I buried Paul.

No, you slice it in both directions, leaving nice big cubes folks can individually slice at their discretion.

If you are making a traditionalish T-giving dinner, some form of cranberries is de rigueur. It’s the nice tart sweet complement to the rich savory elements.

No doubt. There’s just something so middle-class comforting about it.

Pretty much my view on the matter. I can understand the comfort food/memories-of-yesteryear aspect of jellied cranberry sauce. We all have foods like that, whether they be canned jellied cranberries or potato-flake mashed potatoes or Campbell’s canned mushroom soup and green beans casserole, that are “inferior” to a homemade product, yet still comforting and, thus, delicious for the associations we have with these prepared foods. I personally don’t have such associations with cranberry sauce, so I prefer the homemade type that’s basically sugar and cranberries (skin on) mashed up, but I understand the appeal of the jellied kind.

I much prefer home-made, but since I am always a guest for turkey dinners, I usually get canned. :frowning:

ETA: Not looking gift turkey dinners in the mouth, though. I just wish sometimes that they would let me bring homemade sauce, but they won’t. :frowning: :frowning:

I don’t have any problem with people bringing homemade cranberry sauce along. It just needs to be served with canned also. I’ve even made my own cranberry sauce. The stuff is cheap enough, there is no reason not to offer it along with the canned version. I guess being snooty is a reason.

Canned for me. Homemade is yucky. I don’t actually like cranberries, so the only appeal for me is having that perfect red circle on my plate. That’s an essential part of Thanksgiving. I do not especially care for Thanksgiving with the in-laws, as MIL uses fancy-schmancy recipes. No canned cranberry sauce, no green bean casserole, not even mashed potatoes. Boo.

OH!! This reminds me of my latest pet peeve. They now put canned cranberry sauce in cans with rounded edges on the bottom (so they fit better I guess :rolleyes: ) and I can’t get purchase on them to make a small opening to release the vacuum seal. I end up pounding a hole in the bottom with the triangular pointy thing I should be using to pry a nice hole. GRRR!

It’s bad enough you can no longer make a biscuit form from tuna cans, now the heavenly goodness of c. sauce requires a power tool.

Place can on top. Place point of lockback knife on bottom. Tap butt of knife gently with a hammer. Et voila!

Something tells me the jello mold is right out, isn’t it.

No option for neither? My vote would have been neither.

Not a single thing with jello or marshmallows on the table. It’s a travesty.

Your in-laws are heathens.

What, there isn’t an option for both??

As far as eating goes, I prefer the canned stuff because of the way I can mush it with my tongue in my mouth. I do like making my mom’s recipe, though, because I like the way fresh cranberries sound when they’re being poured into something (it’s kind of a “plonk” sound). A layer of cranberries, about a cup of sugar, cinnamon, repeat, bake.

Sooo, uh, nobody else has a grandma who used the canned to make sauce by heating it up?

We spooned it out of a gravy boat, onto the turkey, and the turkey gravy went on the mashed potatoes. I also spooned it over the candied yams as a kid.

My nuclear family started using fresh cranberries and homemade recipe when my great aunt who made it all the time died and we took up the recipe in her honor.

Hmmm…yep, worth the trouble! Thanks!

I like both. The good thing about the homemade kind is that you can mix it with a little syrup and have it, warm, on waffles the next morning - ::dies::.

Homemade, if no added flavorings are added, just cranberries and sugar.
Canned is great, too, whole berries and plain.
But absolutely NO relish made of chopped berries and oranges and whatever. Disgusting.

For even more wonderfulness, make cranberry butter. Beat a stick or two of butter with whole berry cranberry sauce (to taste). Add some honey to taste. It will be a beautiful pink color and taste absolutely delicious.

I can get behind this. Oranges, walnuts, horseradish, and whatever fancy pants ingredients you add, make a mockery of cranberry sauce. Of course, I don’t mind so long as plain cranberry sauce is available. Preferably canned.