Cranberry Sauce

My wife’s homemade sauce: cranberries from Port Orford, sugar, fresh OJ and orange zest, a glug of Grand Marnier, and some pecans.

My sister makes a cranberry relish with hot peppers. It is nasty and very hot. It ruins the whole jellied cranberry sauce thing. I complain every year. She keeps right on bringing it. We throw most of it away. She’s from Texas and she’s clueless. I voted the whole berry from a can. I like the pop of the little berries in my mouth. But I’ll eat the plain if that’s all there is.

I’ll happily accept either. But I also add a fresh cranberry relish that has cranberries, an apple, an orange, sugar and maybe pecans, all ground up. Absolutely delicious!

I can’t stand that jellied stuff in the can. We make our own from scratch every year, and it’s great!

Heh, yeah, gotta toss a bag of berries in there…:slight_smile:

neither

I completely agree.

I thought this topic was about a Beatles song :slight_smile:

Not a big fan of the jell-o kind, so whole berry. It needn’t be fancy with extra flavors like orange and ginger or anything like that. Just gimme berries cooked down with sugar and a little water to get everything going .

Cranberry sauce is a food you have because it’s traditional, not because you actually prefer it to other foods you could be having instead. So I voted for the traditional form, which for me is can-shaped.

I love cranberry sauce in a Can.

Ditto. Together we’re strong.

If it’s not still in the shape of a can, I’m not interested.

Easy Peasy Cranberry Sauce:

1 bag Fresh (or frozen) Cranberries
1 ea Orange
1 cup Sugar
1 Cup toasted pecans or walnuts (optional)

Quarter the orange and deseed it. Toss in food processor, pulse till rough chopped. Add sugar, pulse till mixed well and a homogenous mixture.

Put Cranberries in saucepan, add orange/sugar mixture. Add water till the berries are covered by 3/8" to 1/2’’ water. bring to a boil and simmer till all the berries “pop”. Cool then stir in nuts if desired.

Too easy and VERY delicious. goes well with turkey, pork or chicken. Mix with Mayo to make a great sandwich spread.

Nah, cranberry sauce actually is a delicious food in itself, though I think of it more as a relish or even chutney (actually, that would not be a bad idea, go the chutney route with cranberries…hmmm, I’ll have to try that one of these days, basically do a tamarind chutney with cranberries instead.) It goes wonderfully with all sorts of roast meats.

Exactly ! You can make all kinds of cuteness/compotes and relishes.

A chef i mentored under described them as a “sweet something extra” on a well composed plate.