Crap I *MUST* have

Also some other things most guys would want at home…
http://www.uncrate.com/men/home/

You’ll want to try and combine your wish list for best ROI. Make your classic car a used Dodge Magnum so you can haul lumber and tools around (quickly).

Add to the list a refrigerator with an ice dispenser in the door and a convection range/grill.

Internal mental fortitude. Reverse culture shock is the weirdest thing I have ever experienced. I am sure you go back for vacations a lot in the past quarter century, but that isn’t nearly the same thing as living permanently back where you came from. I predict that you are very Chinese in your outlook now, though you may not feel it. It therefore may seem a little odd, but maybe you should pick up the Culture Shock: USA book to discover a snapshot of your “own” culture as it is today, as if you were a foreigner.

Can’t help you stock your Man Cave, but I do know your little girls must have ZhuZhu pets, Twinkle Toes sneakers by Skechers, American Girl dolls (for which you must pay $150+ ea) and backpacks featuring either Hanna Montana or ICarly.

(unless they go to an artsy school like my kids, in which case tie-dye will suffice)

Got these already along with radiant heated flooring and a mini van. I live in Shanghai and not the countryside. :wink:

My current condo is only about 1400 sq ft. So, I’m a lot more space constrained. Also I’m a cheap bastard at heart and it pains me to pay 5x what something ‘should’ cost. And there are things like the home coffee roaster that isn’t available, and is the wrong voltage if imported.

Keep the ideas coming. And I should add that I was born and raised a poor white child in the US, but have lived in this neck of the woods for 25 years and married to a local for the past 15.

Look for a house that can be expanded/added on to or one with some land (not a ton - an acre will do) for some “outbuildings”. As he and his daughter grew and expanded, my buddy added a “play house” that was really just a smaller form of house at the one back corner of his yard for her. As she grew, it became a cross between a reading room and a sewing room. He also added a small log-cabin like “hobby house” for himself where he put his woodworking tools and projects. By the time she had grown and moved out, he had also doubled their garage as well. It beat moving every 5 years or so to a bigger house.
Seattle area forget the firearms and consider some fishing tackle. Spinning gear for everyone and maybe some flyfishing gear for yourself. I have to fly to Washington and Oregon to enjoy all that beauty and water ------ you’re going to have it right there handy.

Seattle? Top-notch hi-tech casual raingear for the whole family. Buy at REI if you want to blend in with the locals.*

• or at least that class of locals that likes to talk about Crap They MUST Have.

No one has mentioned high speed internet access? And wi-fi? Shame on you all. Satellite radio. HBO.

How about voting rights? I think I would have missed that in China.

The mini-van must die. and I’m impressed that you have a convection grill.

Make that at least three spatulas - it occurred to me shockingly recently that my plastic spatula that I use every day was always in the sink, waiting to get washed when I needed it again. For $1.99, I bought…another spatula! I’m thinking about going crazy one of these days and getting a THIRD plastic spatula!

Seattle? Snow shovel. Seriously. On the one rare occasion when you need it, everyone else needs one too, so the hardware stores will be sold out of them. Get a couple bags of the deicer crystals while you’re at it.

You don’t really NEED a home coffee roaster. Just go to Caffe d’Arte or Torrefazione Italia, you’ll be fine.

Au contraire. The BGE does it all. Tell my seared-at-1000-degrees, blue-rare, better-than-restaurant steaks that they were cooked on a smoker.

That road leads only to madness…

soon you’ll need another dishwasher.

:smiley:

Two dishwashers - one for clean dishes, one for dirty dishes. Scott Adams had this in his dream house, and I think it’s brilliant.

Great! If the guns don’t work, throw the cats at the burglars. (I keed! I love cats!) :smiley:

You have kids? I agree on the swingset. Add a really nice playhouse. And a soundproof room for when they start playing loud instruments. Take it from someone who knows.

A subscription to Netflix.

]

Perhaps what you REALLY need is a Starbucks franchise.

For the BBQ grill, I would recommend a Weber. We got the smallest model and it’s still light years better than any other grill we’ve ever had. Thick metal to retain heat and the grill is easy to clean.

A big house needs a good vacuum cleaner and the Dyson is great for that.

An extra freezer in the garage for all the parties you’ll be having.

As a true American household, you’re also required to have a garage or shed full of power tools you only use occasionally for the several house remodeling projects you’ll be working on and off for the next 15 years or so.

Gardening tools for your nice big lawn, including a nice big composting bin and a rain barrel. Chainsaws are handy and keeps the local riffraff at bay.

Patio furniture is good and since you have kids, a treehouse with a swing.

No-one has mentioned the motor-cultivator, so I will. A motor-cultivator is basically half a tractor. It has a powerful motor mounted over a pair of driven wheels. Behind this is the rotating tine array. Behind that is the place where you walk, guiding the machine forward through controls on a long steerable arm. The thing looks like an industrial accident waiting to happen, but by all the gods it rips through turf like nothing else its size.

Make sure both you and ChinaWife know how to use it, otherwise it’s just an expensive paperweight. It’s better to get a couple smaller ones which both of you can manage easily than a big one that either or both can’t run with. A fire blanket occupes a pretty small space when folded and it can be easier to use, as well as more appropiate for kitchen fires or people on fire (useless for electric fires, which I think is the extinguisher type you need but speak with one of our firemen or a local one).