Creationism does not belong in Science class

You’re a fucking tease.

Where can I buy the T-shirts?!? Spill it, man!

That certainly was an embarrassment for the Royal Society, but not for the reasons people seem to think. The director merely expressed (as he had done before) the mild opinion that teachers should be prepared to address the question in class if it was raised by children, something I would entirely endorse. Science class is the very last place you want to introduce the idea that some questions are forbidden - the whole point is teaching the process of how you evaluate the answers. It’s absolutely scandalous that this guy was forced to resign because his remarks were considered “open to misinterpretation.” What an absolute capitulation to idiocy.

I dunno. They’re putting pineapple on pizza now.

Now that’s just wrong! The elephants are standing on the back of a turtle, not a tortoise! How can you trust goods from an outfit that can’t even get its basic scientific facts correct?

The controversy is delicious.

I see what you did there.

This is the Pit, not Great Debates, which is why I was sarcastic as opposed to laying the ground rules.

I am seriously concerned about religion getting in to either US or UK science classrooms.

This is not a debate about religion as a whole, merely a poke at a minority of Protestant Christians who make repeated attempts to teach their fundamentalist religion in schools.

I’m sorry if you are offended, but please could you clarify your position:

• should Creationism be taught in Science class?
  • do you agree with evolution?

It certainly was - we had a great time (/sarcasm) at work when that story arose. It really was a travesty of news reporting. Article starts “Education Director of the Royal Society says creationism should be taught in schools” and then goes on to say something entirely different which was completely in line with the Government’s guidance and the RS’s position.

We thought it was a shame that Reiss felt he needed to resign, but he really should have thought twice about raising this issue in the terms that he did.

FWIW. Like Malacandra, I opened up this thread expecting there to be a link to something like a current news item wherein it had been decreed that creationism could be taught in science classes. In the absence of any such link or explanation, I too interpreted your OP as a random snark.

Of course I don’t interpret it that way now, but that was my first reading of it - and that wasn’t just a knee-jerk defence of anything - it just seems to me the simplest explanation for a post like that.

I did and the mirror ran away… screaming:eek:

I apologize. I posted the link only because I thought the cartoons were apropos and gave no thought to the fact that people might want the T-shirts they were on. In any case, I see Really Not All That Bright has provided the necessary link.

Tell me about it! And not only that, the top blurb for the “Sinking Atlantis” shirt says, “Because we know Atlantis is sitting at the bottom of the Mediterranean.” Heresy! It’s the Atlantic Ocean.

Since this “pitting” is mostly for you to rehearse your comedic routine and not about actual outrage at anything, I will just say that you could make it better by saying “Open your Science textbook to Chapter 2, verses 3-7”

I’ll be here all week, try the fish.

Bravo, sir.

No, rest assured it can’t happen.

Nobody says “Mum” over here, in favor of “Mom” or “Ma”.

Also the schoolkids aren’t that polite.

:smiley:

In all seriousness, I agree with your sentiment. But was there something in the news that I missed recently, that makes you bring this up now?

I’m not the OP, but maybe this?

Looks like the effort isn’t going anywhere, thankfully.