Crime in Austraila

I’m not trying to step on any ones toes, but how does crime in Austraila compare to other countries in the world? I’m curious because Austraila was orginally used as a prison colony.

Last year’s crime stats were published here a couple of weeks ago, I’ll see if I can find the articles on line and post the links.

Is there a particular type of crime you’re interested in the stats for (the stats vary dramatically between urban and rural areas for different types of crimes)?

This site has an overview of crime rates and trends over a period of time and expressed them as a proportion of population. I’ll keep looking for links to the recent newspaper articles.

apologies if the link messes up, preview isn’t working for me ATM for some reason

This site has an overview of crime rates and trends over a period of time and expressed them as a proportion of population. I’ll keep looking for links to the recent newspaper articles.

apologies if the link messes up, preview isn’t working for me ATM for some reason

Sorry for the double post, SDMB just doesn’t like me today.

There are some interesting graphs on this page showing the serious crime trend over the 90s (just click on the thumbnails, the graphs for crime are about halfway down).