Critical Race Theory Boogeyman

This part of it seems to be the crux of the issue that conservatives are getting upset about. Conservatives who genuinely oppose the teaching of CRT (as opposed to those using it as a wedge issue to try to try to win votes) seem to believe this is what CRT is about. From what I gather, those conservatives genuinely believe that white children are being taught that they somehow bear some responsibility for the actions of the Confederacy, the KKK, and such.

As others have stated, it does seem a little difficult to pin down exactly what CRT is. On the other hand, as far as I can tell, it isn’t about teaching white kids that they should feel some kind of collective guilt over the actions of their ancestors.

I’m sorry, but I see the letters CRT and I think “Cathode Ray Tube”. I’m old. And don’t ever abbreviate “Wireless Access Point”.

And that paragraph is similar to what I have read. First, this is “academic discipline” by “scholars” so just listen to us, you high school only educated little ones. And “racial emancipation” and “anti-subordination”? What does that even mean? It is well poisoning at minimum.

But turning my head sideways, squinting, and giving it the most charitable interpretation possible, it seems to say that facially neutral and color blind laws are nonetheless still hurting minorities and people of color. Is that fair?

If so, what laws, and what do we do about them? Repeal this or that law? Modify it? Change our whole system of law? How do we analyze facially neutral laws so that they don’t have this effect?

Right. I’m told it isn’t that. I am told a million things about what it “isn’t.” What it IS is very difficult to get without buzz words and academic speak. Is there a paragraph that would state the point to someone with a tenth grade education, for example?

I’ve often noticed that people have a problem separating themselves from any sort of collectivization: “White people in America enslaved Africans.” It is a true statement, and I, being whiter than Wonder Bread, and an American to boot… don’t feel “guilty” about it, or personal shame. I also don’t feel like I’m being tarred by that brush. But so many just feel like THEY personally are being attacked.

And me too on the CRT, E-DUB.

I think the best way to put it is that the theory is being taught at college, and applied in schools.

Yes, I think that’s what it is. I don’t know what to do about them, because I’m not a sociology major or whatever major would cover this in college. I don’t want to solve that problem in this thread.

My understanding is that this is a pretty advanced and arcane topic, that wouldn’t be covered at the high school level (or below), which is why I don’t understand all the heads exploding about teaching this in the schools. I imagine you need a lot of background in sociology and law (or whatever) to understand it. Using jargon is what I would expect for an advance legal/social subject.

It might be like asking for a paragraph that explains general relativity or some arcane number theory math subject that a person with a tenth grade education can understand – advanced topics are advanced.

Is it? How is it being applied in schools? (I’m genuinely asking, in case that’s not clear)

The teachers who learned the precepts will apply that way of thinking to how they approach their lessons especially around history (for good and ill, since CRT is not, itself, a school teaching methodology). So they will e.g. mention the bad side of historic figures that up till recently were sacrosanct.

We had a similar bill in Arizona which failed adoption by the Senate last month 14-16. I’ll walk you through the key parts of the bill to see how, like Fox News, it claimed fairness and balance while clamping down hard on topics that the right doesn’t want to hear discussed.

Our forbidden concepts section is rather broader:

a) One race, ethnic group or sex is inherently morally or intellectually superior to another race, ethnic group or sex;
b) An individual, by virtue of the individual’s race, ethnicity or sex, is inherently racist, sexist or oppressive, whether consciously or unconsciously;
c) An individual should be invidiously discriminated against or receive adverse treatment solely or partly because of the individual’s race, ethnicity or sex;
d) An individual’s moral character is determined by the individual’s race, ethnicity or sex;
e) An individual by virtue of the individual’s race, ethnicity or sex, bears responsibility for actions committed by other members of the same race, ethnic group or sex;
f) An individual should feel discomfort, guilt anguish or any other form of psychological distress because of the individual’s race, ethnicity or sex; and
g) Academic achievement, meritocracy or traits such as a hard work ethic are racist or sexist or were created by members of one particular race, ethnic group or sex to oppress members of another.

So, going hard after the conservative critical race theory strawman.

But the meat of this is up near the top:

1. Prohibits a school district, charter school or state agency (entity) from requiring a teacher, employee or a visitor to discuss controversial issues of public policy or social affairs that are not essential to course learning objectives.
  2. States that accurate portrayals of historical events, lessons on recognizing and reporting abuse and sex education are not controversial issues.
  3. Requires a teacher to present issues from diverse and contending perspectives without giving deference to any one perspective, if the teacher chooses to discuss controversial issues.

All nice and cut-and-dried there, right? “Controversial”, “not essential”, “accurate”, “diverse and contending”. Everyone can agree on what these things mean. Not.

But I’m sure if a teacher steps over the (bright, red) line, it can be handled internally with an apology and some better understanding of what the law is really about, right?

1. Allows the court, for each violation, to impose a civil penalty of not more than $5,000 per person, plus any amount of misused monies from the entity budget, against a person who knowingly violates or aids the violation of the prohibition on controversial issues.
  2. States that any person who is responsible for adopting curriculum in violation of the prohibition on controversial issues is responsible for paying all civil penalties and misuse of monies.
  3. Prohibits school district monies or insurance payments from being used to pay these civil penalties or misused monies.
  1. Allows the AG to bring an action to recover monies against a teacher, administrator, employee of a school district or charter school or state employee whose violation of the prohibition of controversial issue resulted in an illegal use of public monies.

So a teacher that steps a toe over the line can be assessed $5000 plus however much it cost for this entire judicial process to play out.

Note that you can see this bill’s text, along with its legislative history, at SB1532 | Arizona 2021 | county transportation planning assistant | TrackBill

The bill started out as a way to penalize teachers for enlisting students to help with lobbying, sickouts, etc. on their behalf, which to me is less of a cut-and-dried issue.

But as a way of curtailing classroom discussion of darn near anything that might cause a student to have a bad case of the feels, by threatening the teachers of Arizona via their wallets, it’s a masterpiece.

Maybe. I don’t doubt your word. However, parents are protesting school boards, like public high school boards for teaching this stuff. I welcome being told that high schools and lower are not being taught this advanced and untested topic.

That’s how I’m beginning to see it as well. The analogy for my understanding is that scientific method is used in higher education institutions and other professional venues to obtain knowledge of the natural world. Once that knowledge has been supported with enough research, it is taught in K-12 more as a collection of facts. Very little mechanism or nuances are taught until the college level.

I wonder if we should have a thread dedicated to what critical race theory is. But not debated, just factual. Maybe in General Questions?

Yes, I think they’ve been twisted up by right-wing media to believe it is being taught at lower levels, but I don’t believe that has been demonstrated as accurate anywhere.

OK, I see. So, teaching something like the history of the Tulsa Race Massacre or that the Civil War was really about slavery might offend some white parents who will get the teacher in trouble for teaching CRT.

In fairness, I think you left out a few things that would keep a teacher from liability, but I almost certainly agree with you that these words in the statute make it a very bad law and poorly drafted. I wouldn’t support it as written.

Critical Race Theory is a way of studying the law in terms of how, historically, the law was written, developed, and applied in a way to create systemic racism, especially in terms of how such things still exist in the law to this day.

That’s the sense I’m getting, yes.

For some of the ones complaining, in fact, I think teaching that the South actually lost the war might be a bridge too far.

Excellent. So let’s explore that (and I really promise that this isn’t a gotcha at all). Does this imply a purposeful intent on the part of the drafters of “the law”? All laws? Do current lawmakers keep these laws out of inertia or do they keep them because of the prior intent?

If not intent…well, let’s get into that if it was not intentional.

ETA: What laws? Can this be solved by repealing these X number of laws?

Let’s explore that in another thread, if that’s OK.

I’m trying to understand why states like Idaho have decided they need emergency legislation to counter teaching this subject, why they thought they needed the law they put on the books (which seems filled with straw men) and whether it’s actually being taught at anything lower than college level.

Great questions but a little too far from the actual point of the thread.

[Ed McMahon in the old Tonight Show]
You are correct, sir!
[/EMitots]

Sure. I don’t want to hijack the thread, but I’ll drop this after saying that if these laws were passed intentionally to hurt minorities, we could just identify them and repeal them, no? They could be pointed out, and tossed into the scrap heap.

Scratch that. I’ll open a new GD thread.