Criticize My Workout

I’ve started a new workout and I wanna run the gauntlet and crowdsource it to see how it stacks up. This thread is not for general tips/advice/info, otherwise I wouldn’t be starting a new thread, I’m trying to find out if what I’m doing is actually going to accomplish my goals or if I should change it up.

I’ve started an endurance focused weight training regimen where for each exercise I do 3 sets of 30 reps increasing weight for each set. For example, my shoulder shrugs start off with 40 pound dumbbells, my second set is 45 pound dumbbells, and the third is 50. I also figure on improving strength as well, thouh more slowly, so if I get 35 reps on the 3rd set, I increase the starting weight for the next time.

I’ve been doing this for 2 weeks now and I’ve already seen improvement in increasing weight, or accomplishing more reps(some of the exercises I apparently hadn’t picked a low enough starting weight for my first set, but I’ve decided to just improve on what I’ve got until it gets to 30, and then 35 on the third set).

So my question is: Is this going to accomplish me much, or is there a better way to have an endurance focused, but strength improvements as well, workout? Am I wasting time by doing these 30 rep sets or could I accomplish what I want with fewer reps and more sets? Say, 6 sets of 10?

Keeping your reps around 12-15 will do better for increasing strength while enhancing endurance.
It really depends on why you’re doing this. Is this for general fitness or is this to better yourself at a specific activity or sport?

I’m doing it because of experiences during my time in the military where I had the strength to start out with something but as it went on my endurance wasn’t up to it, and now I want to significantly increase my endurance just because one never knows what the future holds. I don’t want to just start something, I want to be able to finish.

In general, to build strength, it’s higher weight with lower reps, as pointed out by runner pat.

Are you also doing some sort of high intensity cardio to build cardiorespiratory endurance?

Suggested plan: As EmAnJ said, cardiovascular endurance is key. As most CV work is leg-based, you need to enhance the upper body endurance with modified exercise or using machines.

Swimming or riding a handcycle(like I do. Expensive as all get out though.) on the road.
In the gym-ellliptical, rowing machine/ergometer, table mounted handcycle unit. There are “ladder-climber” machines similar to stair steppers.
Running-wear or carry very wrist light weights(under 1 lb. 1/2 lb or less if you can do a decent amount of miles).
Bodyweight work. There are myriad variations of burpees in increasingly brutal levels. :wink:
Bodyweight Culture. You need to be a member to access everything but it’s free and they don’t spam your email. (I’m a member)

Continue lifting-3 sets 12-15 reps, 1 set 8 reps, 1 set 4 reps increasing weight.
Stick to mainly compound lifts. (Bench Press, Bent Row, Squats, Military Press, etc.)

Do Starting Strength. You’ll develop the necessary endurance quickly, and practice moving big weights will make the smaller weights much easier.

Edit: The actual programs are here.

The military has really started to embrace the CrossFit and Combat Fitness programs - higher weight, lower reps for strength - lots of tabata/interval type training for endurance and explosive power