Critique my taste in music based on 20 CDs

I don’t think we’ve done this in a while, and it could be fun: Close your eyes, pick 20 random CDs from your collection, and let the Teeming Millions [del]point and laugh[/del] provide their feedback on your taste in music. I’ll go first.

[ul]
[li]Pressurehed - Explaining the Unexplained (A cool spacerock/electronica concept album about various paranormal/UFO/cryptozoological stuff)[/li][li]Johnny Cash - At San Quentin[/li][li]Diamond-Fist Werny - Long View to the Sky (Todd Werny was one of the Seattle musicians who kicked ass but was overshadowed by the rise of grunge)[/li][li]The Transmissionary Six - Get Down (A side project by some folks from the Walkabouts and the Willard Grant Conspiracy)[/li][li]Chrome - Chrome Box (A box set of material from various Chrome albums issued by Cleopatra Records a few years ago. This is old-school industrial music.)[/li][li]Lisa Gerrard - The Mirror Pool (She is, of course, better known as part of Dead Can Dance)[/li][li]Johnny Dowd - Down in the Valley (A live album of very fuckin’ twisted country music)[/li][li]Throbbing Gristle - 20 Jazz Funk Greats (More old-school industrial)[/li][li]The Anubian Lights - Naz Bar (Middle eastern electronic space lounge)[/li][li]A Midnite Choir - You Have Been Warned… (Imagine the unholy offspring of Tom Waits and Spike Jones)[/li][li]Crooked Fingers - Red Devil Dawn[/li][li]Nik Turner - Space Ritual (A double CD of top-notch spacerock from one of the founding members of Hawkwind. He’s backed up by Helios Creed, Genesis P-Orridge, the boys from Pressurehed, and a couple more Hawkwind alumni.)[/li][li]Heather Duby - Come Across the River (Electro-chanteuse)[/li][li]Knut Bell and the Blue Collars - Honkahillarockabilly (If you like songs about chicken gizzards 'n beer, Knut’s yer man.)[/li][li]The Master Musicians of Jajouka - Brian Jones Presents the Pipes of Pan at Jajouka[/li][li]Coil - Music to Play in the Dark 2[/li][li]Stellastarr* - Somewhere Across Forever (an okay EP, but you’re better off getting their full-length)[/li][li]Cheb i Sabbah - La Kahena (North-African-influenced electronic dance music)[/li][li]Hashisheen - The End of Law (This is a Bill Laswell project; it’s a very cool dark ambient concept album about Hassan I Sabbah and his cult of assassins)[/li][li]Wimme - Cugu (Wimme is from the Finnish part of Lapland. He does traditional yoik singing paired with modern instrumentation)[/li][/ul]

Of your list, I’ve only heard of Johnny Cash, so I can’t in good conscience [del]point and laugh at[/del] critique your taste.

In any event, here’s my list, pulled from a randon combination of my collection and a few of my wife’s (marked with an asterisk).

Journey–Greatest Hits *
Liz Phair–the one where she’s naked with the guitar.
Tool–Aenima
Matchbox 20–Yourself or Someone Like You
Fleetwood Mac–Best of

Jane’s Addiction–Nothing’s Shocking
Lewis Black–The White Album
Frank Sinatra–Reprise: The Very Good Years
Damn Yankees–Don’t Tread **
Matchbox 20–Mad Season

Pink Floyd–Pulse
The Wizard of Oz Concert–the one with Jewel as Dorothy
Meat Loaf–Bat Out of Hell II*
Singles–soundtrack
Stevie Ray Vaughan–Greatest Hits
Live–*Mental Jewelry * (PA represent!)
Us and Them–Symphonic Pink Floyd
OAR–34th & 8th
Sponge–Rotting Pinata
Counting Crows–This Desert Life

Sweet Jesus, my wife’s collection blows…Damn Yankees?? Meat Loaf??? :smack:

Well, I don’t like Tool, really, but I’m happy to see Sinatra, Pink Floyd, and Meat Loaf. The rest I’ve no opinion of, good or bad.

I simply don’t know anything of the OP’s collection, as well, with the exception of Johnny Cash, who I moderately like.

Okay, from a stack I just picked up that happened to be twenty:

[ul]
[li]Alison Krauss—I’ve Got That Old Feeling[/li][li]Elvis—2nd To None[/li][li]Patsy Cline—12 Greatest Hits[/li][li]Alison Krauss and Union Station—Lonely Runs Both Ways[/li][li]George Strait—Greatest Hits[/li][li]Glen Campbell—Classics Collection[/li][li]Elvis—By The Presleys[/li][li]Vince Guaraldi Trio—A Boy Named Charlie Brown[/li][li]The Beatles—Sgt. Pepper’s Lonely Hearts Club Band[/li][li]Earl Klugh—The Best Of[/li][li]Atlanta Rhythm Section—The Best Of (20th Century Masters)[/li][li]Tom Jones—The Best Of (20th Century Masters)[/li][li]Alison Krauss and Union Station—New Favorite[/li][li]The Dave Brubeck Quartet—Time Out[/li][li]Elvis—30 #1 Hits[/li][li]Joe Jackson—Greatest Hits[/li][li]Alison Krauss—Forget About It[/li][li]Alison Krauss and Union Station—So Long So Wrong[/li][li]Sugarloaf—Best Of[/li][li]Steely Dan—Can’t Buy A Thrill[/li][/ul]

I take that back. I like Journey and a couple of Fleetwood Mac’s things.

Joe, you should give Alison Krauss a listen. :smiley:

Hunter Hawk:

Well based on the fact that I own all of Johnny Dowd’s stuff, and Chrome, and have a large Bill Laswell collection, and am familiar with Coil, Heather Duby, Throbbing Gristle, Lisa Gerrard, Nik Turner and Knut Bell, I’d say you have fantastic taste in a wide range of music and we could prolly whittle away an afternoon or two spinning tunes for each other.

Casey1505:

Your taste (and your wife’s) is a bit more mainstream than my own. I would recommend shopping in a small, locally owned record store for a bit rather than the place in the local mall. There’s a lot of good music out there that isn’t pushed by the Commercial Music Industry that you might like.

Here’s my 20:

Fear Live… For The Record
P. Funk All-Stars Urban Dancefloor Guerillas
Halo Of Flies Music For Insect Minds
Mike Oldfield Tubular Bells
Steve Miller Band Children Of The Future
The Dust Brothers Fight Club (soundtrack)
Butthole Surfers Rembrandy Pussyhorse/Cream Corn From The Socket Of Davis
Husker Du Zen Arcade
The Fugs Second Album…
Black Sabbath Paranoid
Dieselboy System Upgrade (note: this is the DJ, not the band of the same name)
Joe Walsh “But Seriously, Folks…”
The Residents Intermission
Rage Against The Machine Rage Against The Machine
Ten Years After A Space In Time
My Own Victim No Voice, No Rights, No Freedom
Motorhead Ace Of Spades
Slayer Undisputed Attitude
Various Artists Turds On A Bum Ride (Italian import 2 CD set of 1960s psychedelic garage bands… a particular favorite genre of mine)
White Zombie La Sexorcisto: Devil Music, Vol. 1

:smiley:

I’m setting my iPod to random album and hitting shuffle 20 times. Here’s what I get:

1. Joni Mitchell- “Blue”
  2. Miles David- “Kind of Blue”
  3. Stevie Wonder- “Songs in the Key of Life”
  4. The Clash- “London Calling”
  5. The Beatles- “Revolver”
  6. Bruce Springsteen- “Born to Run”
  7. “Side Show”
  8. Pink Floyd- “Dark Side of the Moon”
  9. Jimi Hendrix- “Electric Ladyland”
  10. U2- “Achtung Baby”
  11. Efenwealt Wystle- “Mistrel by Trade, Fool in My Spare Time” (SCA bard)
  12. Mozart- “Die Zauberflote”
  13. Guns n Roses- “Appetite for Destruction”
  14. Nirvana- “Nevermind”
  15. Gilbert & Sullivan- “HMS Pinafore”
  16. They Might Be Giants- “Dial-a-Song”
  17. “Respect: A Century of Women in Music”
  18. “The Three Tenors in Concert”
  19. Carlisle Floyd- “Susannah”
  20. “Les Miserables”

Snowboarder Bo… you are a pseudonym after my own heart. Especially considering I work at a “small, locally owned record store”.

Good to see some other Johnny Dowd fans out there. Sorry to see someone has a Damn Yankees CD in their collection (“wives”… what can you do about them?)

Anyway, here’s the last 20 CD’s I played in the store (in no particular order)…

The Minutemen - Double Nickles On The Dime
The Fleshtones - Do You Swing?
Drive By Truckers - Pizza Deliverance
Buck 65 - Secret House Against The World
Raised By Wolves - Hot Blood
Echo & The Bunnymen - Songs To Learn and Sing
Johnny Cash - The Essential Sun Singles
Tolan McNeil - There Will Always Be A Salesman
V/A - The World Of The Zombies (Zombies tribute)
Dinosaur Jr. - Best of (Ear-Bleeding Country)
Wanda Jackson - Best of
Johnny Cash - The Essential Sun Singles
Love - Forever Changes
The Doers - Ready, Set… Do / I Can Enjoy Almost Anything
Chris Houston - Evil Twang
Spoon - Gimme Fiction
Vietnam - The Concrete Is Always Grayer On The Other Side Of The Street
B-52’s - Wild Planet
The Stooges - Fun House
Carolyn Mark - Just Married

Casey1505: Bat Out of Hell II? Bwahahahaha!! OTOH, Frank Sinatra and Tool make up for it.

Joe K: Alison Krauss is way cool. But geez, try to branch out a little, eh? And I have to admire the Elvis and Glen Campbell.

Snowboarder Bo: You’ve actually heard of Knut Bell? Holy crap. Do you listen to KEXP? And anybody who has The Residents, Sabbath, Motorhead, and Husker Du earns major points. I’ve never been real fond of Joe Walsh, RATM, and Steve Miller, though.

FisherQueen: I think your taste leans toward the popular, but damn if it ain’t a good kind of popular. And here’s a point of music trivia: One of my high school teachers also taught Bruce Springsteen. She said that he was one of those greasy little kids that everybody beat up all the time.

(On preview: vl_mungo: I loooooove Carolyn Mark. She’s cooler than I could ever hope to be. If you ever get a chance to see Purty Mouth, check 'em out–they’re a verrrry gay country band who like her as much as I do.)

(I’m rilly kinda drunk right now. You have no idea how many typos I made while composing this post. Apologies for any typos that I haven’t corrected before submitting the post.)

Oh, and vl_mungo: Would you be willing to tell what store you work at? There’s a chance I’ve bought music from you.

Hunter Hawk: Ooh, obscure. I like Johnny Cash, but of the other ones I’ve heard (Lisa Gerrard, stellastar*, Throbing Gristle, Crooked Fingers) I don’t have much of an opinion on.

Casey1505: Well, your taste in music appears to be sonmewhat better than your wife’s. :slight_smile: I despise Journey and Matchbox 20, though. Still, not too bad (I have the Counting Crows album, and I want to hear the Lewis Black one sometime!) but very mainstream.

Joe K: (What a Kafkaesque name!) Is the amount of greatest hits albums representative of your entire collection? It’s heavy on country, which I’m not too familiar with, but at least it seems to be “good country” (classic and alt, not New Country).

Snowboarder Bo: I have Zen Arcade, but most of the rest of your music is “harder” than I listen to on a regular basis (with the exception of Steve Miller and Joe Walsh ;)). Nothing I’m familiar with enough to like or loathe.

Fisher Queen: Most of those albums are something I’d expect to see on VH1’s “100 Greatest Rock Albums” list. I think Hunter Hawk said it perfectly with “popular, but damn if it ain’t a good kind of popular.” Perfectly respectable.

vl_mungo: The one closest to my taste in this thread so far. I think Gimme Fiction is the best album of the year so far. I also like Love, The B-52’s, Wanda Jackson and Johnny Cash (you realize you listed “The Essential Sun Singles” twice?). Most of the rest of the stuff (Stooges and Minutemen excepted) I haven’t heard of, so no comment. Nothing on here I hate.

OK, now it’s payback time. My 20, chosen by picking cases with my eyes closed:

1. Talking Heads - Fear of Music
  2. X-Ray Spex - The Anthology
  3. Throwing Muses - In a Doghouse
  4. The Fall - 50,000 Fall Fans Can’t Be Wrong
  5. Wire - Pink Flag
  6. Wire - 154
  7. Luna - Pup Tent
  8. The Magnetic Fields - i
  9. Neutral Milk Hotel - On Avery Island
  10. The White Stripes - De Stijl
  11. The Velvet Underground and Nico
  12. The Beatles - Past Master Volume 2
  13. Josef K - Young and Stupid
  14. The Decemberists - Castaways and Cutouts
  15. The Magnetic Fields - The Charm of the Highway Strip
  16. The Buzzcocks - Singles Going Steady
  17. Galaxie 500 - Today
  18. Kristin Hersh - Hips and Makers
  19. Pixies - The Complete B Sides
  20. Magazine - Real Life

I imported my entire collection into Winamp and hit shuffle.

[ol]
[li]Death, Individual Thought Patterns[/li][li]Crisis, Deathshead Extermination[/li][li]Supertramp, The Autobiography Of Supertramp[/li][li]White Zombie, Astro-Creep: 2000[/li][li]Marilyn Manson, Holy Wood[/li][li]Sodom, Persecution Mania[/li][li]Brujeria, Brujerizmo[/li][li]The Clash, London Calling[/li][li]Ozzy, Bark at the Moon[/li][li]Therion, Deggial[/li][li]Porcupine Tree, In Absentia[/li][li]Candlemass, Nightfall[/li][li]Nicodemus, The Supernatural Omnibus[/li][li]King’s X, Black Like Sunday[/li][li]Eagles, Greatest Hits Vol. 1[/li][li]Nine Inch Nails, The Fragile[/li][li]The Who, The Ultimate Collection[/li][li]David Bowie, Changes Bowie[/li][li]Coal Chamber, Chamber Music[/li][li]My Ruin, A Prayer Under Pressure Of Violent Anguish[/li][/ol]

That’s not necessarily what I’d choose to represent my collection to the world, but that’s what you get with shuffling. For the curious, I’d recommend Deggial, Individual Thought Patterns, and In Absentia–that last probably having the most appeal.

Hunter Hawk: nope, never heard of KEXP until right now. I’ve only been through Seattle on my way to Alaska and Vancouver. The Joe Walsh album is primarily for ILBTs and Life’s Been Good To Me So Far, but the rest of it pretty good, too. Old Steve Miller (like Fly Like An Eagle and earlier) is some of the best white-boy-electric-psychedelic-blues ever. Children has some great stuff on it, so does Brave New World. I can’t remember how I stumbled across Knut Bell a couple of years ago… might have seen him on a Hasil Adkins site or thread or something; I can’t remember.

Joe K: nice set… I’m a Joe Jackson fan, and any collection that includes vintage Steely Dan is a-ok.

FisherQueen: The Clash rock. Miles Davis rules. Nice set, there. Lotta variety :smiley:

vl_mungo: Double Nickels is one of the 10 best rock albums of all time, even if most people don’t know it. So is Fun House. Damn, I love that Detroit punk rock… from before it was even called punk rock!

Lisa-go-blind: Talking Heads were an amazing band, right up until the time that Byrne decided he had real talent. Stop Making Sense is still the best concert film I’ve ever seen. And Pixies had a real knack for recycling old hooks and owning them. I saw them a few times live, and once they left the stage after 3 songs because wouldn’t stop throwing things at the stage. We damn near had to call the paddy wagon for that crowd, but the band had asked politely twice and told them the third time that they would not deal with it, so the crowd deserved what they got. And yeah, my taste is definitely towards loud and fast. As “Weird” Al Yankovic said, I’ll be mellow when I’m dead.

Bo

Buy more CD’s.

ultrafilter: Brujeria rocks! The Clash rock! but I only like Coal Chambers first album… I couldn’t handle the attempts at singing and melody on Chamber Music, so I stopped buying their albums. I can sing Big Truck or Loco anytime tho… love that first album… hard to believe they were all so young. Maybe that and Kittie’s first album would be a “best hardcore by the very young” award winner?

http://boards.straightdope.com/sdmb/showthread.php?t=324606&highlight=audioscrobbler

Audioscrobbler. Join the fun!

Make it Kittie’s third album, and I could go with it. It took them a while to find their stride.

Lisa-go-Blind- has by far my favorite collection so far in this thread. I’m going to have to check out the bands on her list that I haven’t heard of.

What I don’t understand is why there’s an X-Ray Spex anthology. I thought they only had one album anyway, right?

yeah but by then they had experience… and they weren’t young kids… they were jaded rock stars :stuck_out_tongue:

I saw both bands on their first national tour, and Kittie was especially rockin’.

Lisa-go-Blind, remind me to never take a long car ride with you, or we’d only be able to agree on Kristen Hersh and the Pixies. Wire? The Magnetic Fields? Neutral Milk Hotel? The Decemberists? eesh
twenty songs currently on my playlist (sorry, I’m heading to bed, I’m not digging out CDs)

Badly Drawn Boy
Bloc Party
Buffseeds
Closer
Faultline
Elastica
Fear of Pop
Ficherspooner
Flunk
Girls Against Boys
Helium
Husky Rescue
I Am Kloot
Jet By Day
Iron and Wine
Kent
Lakia
Mercury Rev (whom I usually dislike, but “Goddess on a Hiway” rocks)
The Jealous Sound
The Information