Critique my taste in music based on 20 CDs

Thanks!

Yeah, The Anthology is actually Germ Free Adolescents + “Oh Bondage! Up Yours”/“I Am a Cliche” + a crapload of demos + a live disc. In other words, all the X-Ray Spex you’ll ever need. Highly recommended.

Funny that you hate Wire but love Elastica. After all, they’re pretty much the same songs:wink:

Nice! adds to wishlist

Lisa-go-Blind: Check out the Stellastarr* song My Coco. People keep accusing them of ripping off the Pixies, but I’m not sure I agree with that. And you should also definitely check out the Crooked Fingers Red Devil Dawn album, but frankly you can safely skip their other albums. And I love Kristin Hersh and Throwing Muses (and the Magnetic Fields), but I’m still trying to decide whether I like the Decemberists–I still haven’t managed to see one of their live shows. I saw Luna on their farewell tour and thought they were a little bland.

Ultrafilter: I’m not familiar with the bands you list other than the big-name ones. What kinds of music are the albums you recommend?

Snowboarder Bo: If you listen to the rockabilly show on KEXP (Fridays from 6-9 pm Pacific time), Steve (the “rusty, trusty scribe” for the show) is Knut’s drummer.

Rufus Xavier: I have a Linn Aktiv hi-fi system. I’m not gonna use my computer to play music. (No offense…)

elfkin477: I like about half your selection and am unfamiliar with the other half. What do you think of Husky Rescue? I finally picked up their CD but haven’t had a chance to listen to it yet.

It’s the vocals I dislike about Wire…that’s so distracting that I never paid attention to the lyrics or music, really :stuck_out_tongue:

Homer: We don’t have anything in common.

[opens the record cabinet, with “Marge” and “Homer” sections]
Look at these records: Jim Nabors, Glen Campbell, the Doodletown Pipers. Now look at her records! They stink!

Hunter - Johhny Cash is the only one I’ve ever heard of.
elfkin - nada. zilch.
ultra - maybe every third one
Lisa - about every 4th one.
Mungo - just a couple
Fisher and JoeK - now these are people I could hang with, if only to listen to music.

Let’s see…my CD changer holds 300 CDs, and I have 2 of them. What the hell. Let’s just list every 15th one until we hit 20.

**Bruce Springsteen ** - The River
Richard Thompson - Daring Adventures
Dave Brubeck - Time In
Van Morrison w/Georgie Lane - How Long Has This Been Going On?
Van Morrison - Beautiful Vision
Dire Straights - Communique
Steely Dan - Katie Lied
Capercaillie - Secret People
Southside Johnny & The Asbury Jukes - Better Days
Renaissance - Tuscany
Al DiMeola & World Sinphonia - Heart of the Immigrants
Chieftans - Long Black Veil
Renaissance - Live at Carnegie Hall
Jethro Tull - Heavy Horses
Suzy Bogguss - Voices In The Wind
**Sarah McLaughlin ** - Afterglow
Maddy Prior - Ravenchild
Steeleye Span - Parcel of Rogues
Judy Collins - Sanity and Grace
Fleetwood Mac - Say You Will

Hunter, I’m pretty sure KEXP doesn’t broadcast all the way down to Las Vegas, and in any event, I don’t have a radio… or a TV… heck, I just bought a toaster oven last year.

But if I’m ever in Seattle, now I know a radio station to turn it to when someone else puts on the classic rock station :smack:

In Absentia is a good, fairly mellow proggish rock album. “Sound Of Muzak” could’ve been a radio hit, if only the band had the opportunity/exposure.

Deggial is a mix of 80s power metal and symphonic elements. While it does feature the rockingest oboe solo I’ve ever heard (and yes, I have heard more than one), I think Vovin is a better choice for someone who’s interested in the band.

Individual Thought Patterns is death metal, but it’s the sort of album I’d play for someone who says that death metal sucks and all that. Given the choice, I would’ve put The Sound of Perseverance up there–it’s at the top of my list of albums that everyone who loves music should hear. You should check it out.

They broadcast over the net at http://www.kexp.org, in case you have a broadband connection.

cool, thanks!

of course I have a broadband connection! I’m suckin’ in 4gigs on the download… uploading at 3.5. It sukt back in the day when I had to upload my music at 56k… and don’t even get me started on my old cradle modems…

OMFG! the first song I hear when I tune in is Gang Of Four’s Paralysed! I FUCKING love this band! They are my inspiration for angular guitar and rhythm work! WOOT! Score!

You just made an extra 10 points in my book, Hunter :smiley: thanks!

OMFG OMFG OMFG! This station plays FEAR??!!!?!?!?!?! AWESOME!

You’re welcome. Bear in mind that you tuned in to the weekly punk/hardcore show–their playlists vary quite a bit throughout the week.

BTW, could you recommend any albums by Bill Laswell? I’ve only ever heard the occasional song by him (aside from the Hashisheen album), so I’d welcome any recommendations for full albums.

These are the first 20 CDs to come to hand… not all are mine and some aren’t lying around for any obvious reason (ie, no one has listened to them in a decade or more so it’s a mystery why they are near the top of the pile).
Lenny Kravitz - Let Love Rule
Live - Throwing Copper
Green Day - Dookie
Coldplay - X&Y
Nickleback - Silver Side Up
Aqua - Aquarius
Radiohead - OK Computer
Sleepless in Seattle Soundtrack
Enigma - MCMXC A.D.
Triple J Hottest 100 Vol. 6
Michael Buble - Totally Buble
Radiohead - Hail To The Thief
Shannon Noll - That’s What I’m Talking About
Open Space - The Classic Chillout Album
Disney Presents A Family Christmas
Powderfinger - Vulture Street
Meat Loaf - Welcome To The Neighbourhood
REM - In Time, The Best Of
Faith No More - King For A Day
Metallica - Metallica (the black album)

Stellastarr* sounds like The Pixies?!? That’s a new one on me. Their music is a bit milquetoast for my tastes, but My Coco is total earworm material. I still can’t figure out whether I like that song or not.

Bill Laswell’s output varies widely depending on who he’s working with.

Praxis Transmutation is the best of the lot… After this one Buckethead tended to less structured sonic freakouts.

Material Intonarumori is my personal fav, but Memory Serves and Seven Souls are also good. Intonarumori is very much hip hop, so if you don’t care for rap, especially Kool Keith-style rap, you might want to stick with Memory Serves (Sonny Sharrock and Fred Frith are on this album!)

The stuff he did with Last Exit is also worth listening too, but those 2 above are my favorites.

send me an email if you want more… don’t wanna hijack this thread too bad, even if it is yours lol :stuck_out_tongue:

Heh, it just so happened that the pile of CDs I picked up had every Alison Krauss album I possess in it. :stuck_out_tongue: I do have a good portion of Greatest Hit-type CDs, too; I don’t know why exactly, maybe it’s a value standpoint. I do know there’s a precious few artists of whom I’ll actually buy released albums, with B-sides, etc. And, yeah, I don’t have much new country at all; maybe an album or two of artists who had a song I really liked once. The rarer stuff I have (maybe not so rare) is in the rack.
Snowboarder Bo…awesome, you’ve got Steve Miller, Joe Walsh, and Black Sabbath—their favorite album of mine by they, no less. I love it; very swingy.

FisherQueen…a nice collection in general; all of it I find wholly agreeable, yet still with that pleasant mystique that draws from not listening to those songs on a regular basis.

vl_mungo…I havent heard of any of those, except for the B-52’s, Wanda **Jackson, and Cash, all of whom I’d listen to agreeably. I wouldn’t mind giving a cursory listen to the rest, though.

Lisa-go-Blind…the same, unfortunately, though I do have Past Masters II somewhere; fine album. I never turn the channel if The WHite Stripes come on, though.

ultrafilter…and you has well, heh, except for The Eagles (I have that too) and Supertramp. I need to investigate the latter more.

elfkin477…recognized nothin’, sorry.

silenus…here again, some more unfamiliar ones, but certainly stuff I’d love to try out. You do have Brubeck and—well, only my favorite Steely Dan album ever (which is in the rack).

cazzle…I do like one song of radiohead’s (that one that goes “I jumped into the river”; the rest sort of depresses me too much). You’d catch me looking at the back of that Disney CD, for sure.
Fun thread!

It seems hardly anyone’s offering critiques, just putting up their own lists, so I’ll do both.

Critique: Man, you guys are a bunch of hippies.

List:

The Clash - The Clash
Husker Du - New Day Rising
Robyn Hitchcock & the Egyptians - Element of Light
The Replacements - Pleased To Meet Me
Yo La Tengo - I Can Hear The Heart Beating As One
The Beatles - Revolver
Sleater-Kinney - All Hands on The Bad One
The Go-Betweens - 16 Lovers Lane
Cinerama - Disco Volante
Marshall Crenshaw - Marshall Crenshaw
The Feelies - Time for a Witness
Gang of Four - Entertainment!
The Jesus & Mary Chain - Psychocandy
The Pogues - If I Should Fall From Grace With God
The dB’s - Stands for Decibels/Repercussion
Violent Femmes - Violent Femmes
The Divine Comedy - A Secret History: The Best Of
The Magnetic Fields - 69 Love Songs
Belle & Sebastian - If You’re Feeling Sinister
Bob Mould - Workbook

I have very ‘white bread’ taste in music , so the majority of the CDs listed here , I have never hever heard of . Journey , Meatloaf , the Beatles Johnny Cash … it’s all good to me .

My 20 should REALLY give you guys something to snicker about .

1. Goin’ South (Various artists , Southern Rock)

2. Robert Vavra’s Horses of the Wind (original classical with ‘horse sounds’ mixed in)

3. Train - Drops of Jupiter

4. Billy Idol - Vital Idol

5. Rod Stewart - It Had To Be You - Great American Songbook

6. The Best of Sweet

7. Los Lonely Boys

8. Pirates of the Mississippi - Walk the Plank

9. Melissa Etheridge - Yes I Am

10. The Essential Dan Fogelburg

11. Dixie Chicks - Fly

12 Carly Simon - Reflections (Greatest Hits)

1. Legendary Songs of Don McLean

2. Aerosmith - Big Ones

3. Poison - Crack a Smile

16 - Keith Urban - Golden Road

1. Ultimate Ronnie Milsap

2. Savage Garden

3. John Denver - An Evening With John Denver

4. Don Henley - Actual Miles (Greatest Hits)

Go ahead . Laugh at me . I like 'em . :smiley:

They can laugh at me, too (20 chosen for variety)-

1. Out of the Blue - ELO
  2. Every Time You Say Goodbye - Alison Krauss & Union Station
  3. Abbey Road - The Beatles
  4. The Man-Machine - Kraftwerk
  5. Greatest Hits - Black Sabbath
  6. Fresh Fruit for Rotting Vegetables - Dead Kennedys
  7. Arrival - ABBA
  8. The Kick Inside - Kate Bush
  9. Hello Darlin’ - Conway Twitty
  10. Hello, I Must Be Going - Phil Collins
  11. Trans - Neil Young
  12. Little Earthquakes - Tori Amos
  13. Pioneers Who Got Scalped - Devo
  14. Apollo 18 - They Might Be Giants
  15. …to be continued - Elton John
  16. 52nd Street - Billy Hoel
  17. Are You Experienced? - Jimi Hendrix
  18. Breakfast in America - Supertramp
  19. They’re Playing Our Song - Original Cast Recording
  20. Bare Trees - Fleetwood Mac

Great thread idea. Nice one, those of you who cited Husker Du, the Minutemen, the Fleshtones, the dB’s, the Violent Femmes, Marshall Crenshaw and the Go-Betweens. And a few others.

My list, selected using an online random number generator:

I Won’t Cry, Johnny Adams
Truth Decay, T-Bone Burnett
Armed Forces, Elvis Costello & the Attractions (expanded edition)
King of America, the Costello Show (featuring Elvis Costello)
Repercussion, the dB’s
Greatest Hits, Al Green
Cantaloupe Island, Herbie Hancock
Radio One, Jimi Hendrix
Live 1980/86, Joe Jackson (disc two)
Have Love, Will Travel, Bill Kirchen
South (1926-1929), Bennie Moten’s Kansas City Orchestra
Wilson Pickett’s Greatest Hits
Classic Rare Groove Mastercuts vol. 1
Soul Spectrum vol. 2
Travels in the South, Chris Stamey
It’s You or No One, Sarah Vaughan