Crotch Vent?

I purchased a '98 Isuzu Rodeo back in February. It’s a great vehicle, got a good price on it (bought online), and was in near perfect shape when delivered.

About a month ago, I discovered an “option” that I’ve never seen before, in any car I’ve ever driven: at the base of the steering column, aimed directly at my crotch, was a little vent. It’s not just an opening, or misplaced hose- it’s an actual little vent that can be adjusted, even closed. And it’s aiming right between my legs.

Not that I mind. Actually, with the AC on, it’s kind of …refreshing. But it’s just something I’ve never even heard of before (none of my friends or family have heard of a “crotch vent” either). Is this something that’s common to many cars, or just to Isuzu Rodeos (or just to mine?)? Do you suppose this was engineered on purpose ("… y’know, someone really ought to design a crotch vent for cars, something that can really keep you fresh on those long drives…") Has anyone else here experienced this special feature??

I had a 1975 Buick that had your “crotch vent.” It did its job. I always regretted that it didn’t have just a “little more” blowing power on those long, cross-country drives. If you know what I mean. :smiley:

I’ve never heard of it, but I want one. I get some serious crotch rot on long car trips.

This OP sounds a lot like me when I first sat in a car that had Ass-Warmers[sup]TM[/sup].

Cripes! Ass Warmers! I had forgotten about those.

My boss drives a Caddy. His idea of showing the world he made it.

I drive it down to the P.O. and bank many days. Anyway, one day last winter, I hopped in, started down the road, and after a minute or so, my butt started getting hot! I was actually scared that the car was on fire or that something under the car was seriously wrong, causing intense heat to come up from underneath the car. I pulled over to look under the car. Only after a bit did I see a button that indicated the Ass Warmer was on. I never heard of such a thing. Who knew?

Hmmm… Ass-Warmers and a Crotch Vent… Now that would be an options package…

You didn’t really say options package, did you?

Heh! I guess that would be a Package Option…

Just to point out that it’s not just an option on $$$ cars. My 1987 Mazda 323 (base model) has it. Great on hot days tooling^H^H^H^H^H^H^H flying down the freeway.

FtG

With a little ‘jury-rigging’ you could convert it into a device that would allow you to cut down on pit stops. Maybe even cool your engine!

I have a 2000 Toyota 4-Runner, have the same option. Used to have a '97 RAV4, had it. My father had a '94 4-Runner, had it. Now he has a 2001 4-Runner, also has it. Maybe its a big thing with Japanese SUVs?

This could make for an interesting fragrance in the car.

I hate frequent restroom stops.

Can you drive in reverse and pee out the vent?

I’m SCOURING the new sym codes, trying to find one that would be suitable at this moment. Exactly which icon would indicate that an Ass Warmer is on? Hmmm… This one?----------> [sym]b[/sym]
:smiley:
Cartooniverse

If you would like a well climatized behind, I suggest looking into SAABs. Quoting from a pro-SAAB site.

There are some big fans in the seats, blowing cool air through small holes in the fabric. I have tried it, and it is indeed nice in hot weather.

I’d never heard of Crotch Vents and Ass Warmers; now there’s Ass-Fans!? Will the wonders of technology never cease? Who’da thunk the car companies would be so interested in keeping our nether regions comfortable and ventilated?

lee, what do you suppose the fragrance would be like with both the Crotch Vent and Ass-Fan on…?

You need to get a Toyota MR-2 then.

The two that I had both came with dual crotch vents. And not those silly little play vents that don’t do squat, but some serious jet fighter looking nozzles complete with aiming ability.

Those were great. You got ‘side by side’ cooling, as it were, coming in low and from two angles.

If you were wearing shorts, and you aimed them just right, you could position each one to blow right up and into your shorts, for direct cooling of each… ahh… hmm.

You know what I mean.

God how I miss that car.

I wonder if there is a way to make those crotch vents “intakes” instead of discharges…

Now THAT would be a valuable option.