Crucifixion and exorcism successful, nun dies

I don’t think they’re going to make a movie about this debacle.

It would be sort of Abbott and Costello-like if someone hadn’t died as a result.

"Mediafax news agency said Cornici suffered from schizophrenia and the symptoms of her condition caused the priest at the convent and other nuns to believe she was possessed by the devil…Father Daniel who is accused of orchestrating the crime is said to be unrepentant.

“God has performed a miracle for her, finally Irina is delivered from evil,” AFP quoted the priest as saying.

“I don’t understand why journalists are making such a fuss about this.”
Father Daniel, sir, you are beyond asshattery. Nice Rasputin impersonation, though.

Sigh.

Yes, exorcism is not uncommon in the Orthodox Church. Indeed, one is performed at every baptism (well, technically, at the making of a catechumen, but almost always performed as part of the baptismal rite). However, there exists a book, called the trebnik or euchologion in Slavonic or Greek, that has the text and rubrics for virtually any service a priest can do, and I’m fairly certain that mock-crucifixion isn’t in there. IOW, this guy’s a nut.

Ahhhhh. Blind faith. Good stuff.

Nice. Real nice. Of course people shouldn’t be getting upset that he smothered a schizophrenic girl. He was delivering her from evil~!!11

Father Daniel, please shove your crucifix straight up your ass, you shit-for-brains waste of life.

In the States, would this be manslaughter or murder?

Double homicide when some right-thinker has the balls to put this priest out of our misery.

You mean “deliver him from evil”.

Dear god, man… I can’t support that.

Like I said to my vegan friend when he complained that his cat’s food contained unsavory amounts of carcinogens:

Okay. You don’t have to eat the cat food.

This priest is clearly insane and it frightens me when crazy people are in positions of power or authority over others. Is he a threat to me personally? No. Do I think his breed of Raving Lunitic should be crucified by public opinion? Yes. Raving Loonies must be kept in check.

Moderate People, I implore you! Take to the streets with our battle cry: “Be reasonable!”

Actually, Pullet, being crucified by public opinion is slightly different from double homicide. I’m vaguely hoping that you only advocate the former, appearances aside.

Sigh… apparently nobody hanging out in the BBQ Pit after 3 AM reads Bloom County.

Thank you, Opus.

Ack pfft.

It’s 5:20 yawn and I got it!! Gotta bring somebody to the friggin’ airport…

For us 80s kids, Bloom County was our Monty Python.

Poor woman. I know Romania is still sort of backwards but sheesh. Embarrassed throat-clearing all around the Orthodox world this morning, I hope.

I am not a lawyer. I’m not a lawyer in any jurisdiction, so the odds of me being a lawyer in your jurisdiction are the same as the odds of Santa winning the PowerBall while skiing down the slopes of Hell.

It depends on the plea arrangements, but I can’t imagine any prosecutor trying him for anything less than homicide.

Really, the best he could claim is ‘mental defect’ or similar. To the best of my knowledge, claiming that your religion commanded the murder is not a valid defense.

I hope the SOB gets the chair. Preferably the chair being lowered into the shark tank and smeared with bloody pig guts.

Were the priest’s actions limited to the mock crucifixion and the more traditional exorcism rites, a prosecutor would have a very hard time asserting mens rea for a murder charge. However, the towel stuffed into the nun’s mouth to silence her cries was the cause of death, and creates an appearance of guilt that the defense will have to work hard to overcome (“Sister Maricica’s pitiable cries through the stone walls of her cell were – what, disturbing your sleep, Father?”)

I don’t think we should judge the priest too harshly until we’ve waited three days to see if the nun’s tomb is empty.

Remember the vampire article from last year? I’d have to do some digging to find the source, but it was AP or Reuters and not a tabloid. Apparently, in some parts of Romania sickness after the death of a relative, or reports of the deceased being seen are enough to get the body exhumed, and the heart removed and fried.

BTW-In Jewish folklore and Kabbalah, there are demons and other things capable of possession and Rabbis can perform an exorcism. The dybbuk for example (The Dybbuk Cabinet from eBay had a very inaccurate version) is a ghost that can possess a living person. The proper rituals will expel it from the body. It exits from a toe, causing a wound as it is expelled. So, I can imagine a Jewish exorcism.

I cannot imagine the ‘possessed’ being gagged during such a ritual. Years of living with our relatives have trained Jews to tune out loud ranting and kvetching. It would be utterly inconceivable for the person to be denied food or drink. If you have a guest, even if they never enter the house but just drop you off, you must offer them food and drink.

Never! I’ve avoided using common sense for thirty years! I’m not about to start now.

Are you sure I can’t interest you in a nosh? And that Dybuk fellow who’s possesing you, maybe he’d like a slice of coffee cake? Maybe some nice ruggelah?

Gimme that old-time religion! :rolleyes:

There was only one demon in the proximity of this poor woman and it looked out through the eyes of Father Daniel.

Don’t absolve the nuns who helped the good father. Did none of them see any evil in what they were doing? Was there no one among her sisters in God who felt any compassion for the poor young woman?