Cruise control

Do you use cruise control?

I’m in DC rush hour traffic all the time. My knee is actually sore from doing the gas-break-gas-break shuffle for 45 minutes twice a day. So yeah, whenever I can use CC, I take the opportunity to rest my knee.

Pretty much every day. I drive 25 miles one way to work. The first 5 miles is mountain switchbacks, but then there is about 10 miles to the first town that is reasonably straight and level. And in the morning, I may only see 3 or 4 other cars.

Depends on the situation. And the weather.

On long drives, I will always use it.

Only on the highway. I drive an automatic because of shoulder problems.

I used it on a longish trip I took a few months ago, but not before or since then. I live in a fairly metropolitan area with lots of traffic, and using cruise control would be a waste of effort. (Not that setting it is a great effort, but you know what I mean.)

But I liked using it on my trip!

My current vehicle doesn’t have it, and I really miss it on long trips. I’ll look down at the speedometer and be shocked to discover that I’m tooling along at 85.

I always kind of forget its there. I drive stick and rarely am on an open stretch of highway.

My car has Adaptive Cruise Control. If the car in front of me brakes, so does my car. When the guy in front speeds back up, I follow him. It’s a very odd feeling.

I used to use it all the time. Nowadays, unless I’m on a long stretch of open highway, I find it impractical. There are just too many lane-changers and road boulders that require me to adjust my speed every couple of minutes.

Same. Don’t even know how to turn it on in my current car.

I wonder if usage rates depend on where you are located? In the northwest, I’m pretty much always either going up a hill or down one, and the roads aren’t ever straight. I haven’t spent too much time in the middle of the country, but what I have seen was long and flat and straight and boring - with 50 miles between destinations, too.

I could see using cruise out there regularly.

I have always hated my cruise control…actually I like it in theory and tried to use it many times, especially on long road trips. What I hate is the feeling of cruise control. It makes me feel like I am no longer in control of the vehicle at all, and I just don’t feel safe.

I know that is weird and my husband teases me constantly on long drives because of it, but I have been driving for a long time and it doesn’t seem like something that is going to change any time soon.

I only use it on long drives, when my ankle cramps up. It seems like every time I put it on, the next rest stop pops up (old K9 needs her potty breaks!) or some butt-much decides to get on the highway and putter along ten miles below the flow of traffic.

I live in a very urban area, so rarely get the chance on a day-to-day basis. Freeways around here just have too much traffic to make it useful - you’re constantly adjusting your speed in response to what’s going on around you.

When I do drive outside of greater Los Angeles, I use it if the situation permits. I’ve had vehicles without cruise control, and can certainly live without it, but there are times when it’s a nice feature to have and use.

You know, it’s funny; I could actually use my cruise control quite a lot on the 405. (But I preferred riding the bike.)

Well, it’s my father’s car, but I do like using the cruise control when I can. Usually on the motorways, I wouldn’t get to use the car other than when he and Mum come to visit or I’m coming back home with them. It’s nice to sit and cruise with a pleasing MPG arriving on the trip computer. I find I’m less inclined to speed up to join a faster moving bunch in the stream of traffic too when it’s on.

Whenever I heard that word, this goes through my head:

Boys and girls, come out to play
On the busy motorway

I use is as much as I possibly can.

Stupid question about CC: with stick, I’d still have to shift once in a while unless the area is really flat, correct? Seems more trouble than it’s worth.

I haven’t been able to figure out how to make it work on my car and really don’t have a desire to. I used to spend the majority of my driving on a long stretch of highway and didn’t really see the point in not having to have my foot on the accelerator. Now I spend most of my driving in traffic that requires constant speed adjustment so cruise control is impractical. It doesn’t help that the one time I used cruise control, I was a new driver and the car in question was an old beater that would suddenly shudder forward when climbing a hill.

Oddly, it’s my left leg that has problems if I’ve been driving too long.

I play mine like a squeezebox.