Crying, man!

It’s the story, of those who always loved you. Your mother gave her life for you and gave you to my keeping…

Enjoy,
Steven

Wait, Rob Schneider was the defense for watching a RomCom?

Well, yeah, except – no. The rap on Boehner is either that he’s been crying because he’s been drinking too much, or that he’s just trying to manipulate people. Those theories aside, while I certainly can get behind being human, I do think that a man should be able to deliver rehearsed comments about his childhood without tearing up. Or, if becoming Speaker is a legitimately overwhelming moment, what about unveiling a Reagan statue, or debating troop movements in Iraq? I mean, I get kinda weepy my own self when I watch certain movies (or think about certain movies, but I have to discuss my own misery for a good 20 minutes before I’ll lose in front of an audience.

ETA: this was in response to Cyningablod.

Bricker: Oh, that’s a killer, all right.

Exactly. Not that my mom is dead.

But my dad died when I was 20.

Aw, jeez, Bricker! I don’t even watch that show - all’s I know is she sees dead people - and I got a lump in my throat just reading that. But I was already off to a weepy start: this morning, I got a very sweet Valentine’s day card from my husband… and one from my 5-month old son. His dad even helped him sign it.

Gah!

Pass the Wheat Thins, and make mine a Hendrick’s.

Without wanting to sound a bit condescending… I think its an American thing. You have a whole reality TV industry built around crying when you are faced with emotions or memories, good, happy, sad or well…to me indifferent.

Even if not an entertainment programme you guys over that side of the pond seem to get watery eyed over the slightest little thing.

I think you feel that you need to wear your heart on your ( wet soggy tear stained) sleeve to demonstrate your feelings.

Its really confusing to me.

Meh! I just read this back and it does sound condescending. but its more confusing to me than anything ( well on TV its a bit annoying)

Yeah, and I know that’s weak, but Drew Barrymore was my reason for watching it.

The end of Les Mis gets me too, and did before my father died(when I was 18). When my wife and I were planning a trip to New York last year(our first trip there together), we were looking at what was playing and I was sadly disappointed not to be able to find even an off-Broadway production of Les Mis. It was one of our most memorable dates from before we were married and we both love the show. We have had to make do with the concert version for far too long, although the Bishop in that production rocked my world. I’ve never seen that role played by a young man, either IRL or in my head, but my god he nailed it and brought depth I’d never imagined to a role I considered little more than expository before. If you’re a fan of the show and have never seen the dream cast performance, do yourself a favor and look it up.

Enjoy,
Steven

YOU have a couple of soft spots? Say it aint so MeanOldLady. Say it aint so.

Bricker is really John Boehner!

I bet THAT revelation would help the SDMB page views for a few days!

I cry all the time over “entertainment”: Movies, operas, musicals, etc. Sometimes even over songs.

Got something in my eye here too…

Yeah, I think it’s just experience and hormones - men have hormones, too. I’ve even heard rumours that men go through a form on menopause, too.

I’m not much a gin drinker, but I do like tonic water - is that close enough? :slight_smile:

I know, I know, just… don’t tell anybody, okay?

And Bricker as Weeper of the House is pure gold.

Especially songs! I dare anyone to listen to Kathy Mattea’s “Where’ve You Been?” with dry eyes.

Not entirely on topic but this thread reminds me of the saddest clip on youtube.

T-T

Never thought youtube could make me tear up.

OMG. What is wrong with you for posting that. :frowning:

I am 39. I seem to cry a bit more these last couple years. Art will make me cry. Hell I cried watching Secratariate. It was with my ex wife. I sometimes even bawl. It comes on fast and hard. Without much warning.

I feel better afterwords and usually tell someone and laugh about it.

Yes.

Um, good example. Perfect, in fact.

Well, not to rain or your old-age hormone parade, but I too started tearing up at any damn thing. It was odd enough that my wife commented on it. That was 6 months before I was diagnosed with complex partial seizures of the left temporal lobe.
I’ve started meds, and I don’t tear up (as much, but I’m still ramping up the dose).
Not to freak you out, but are you experiencing any other sort of distorted reality? Deja Vu? Aural hallucinations( that was my give away)? Auras? Smells?
Just a thought.

It was this sort of possibility that made me post this. So far, as best as I can tell, the answer is no: nothing apart from the increased leanings towards tears.