CT Recall Question

I know that CT law does not currently allow Liberman to be recalled. What has to change to allow it? The state legislator passing a law of a constitutional change?

Related question, why aren’t the good people of CT doing it?

1. The method of election is left to the states so I’m assuming recall could be left to them as well.

2. Presumably, they don’t want to recall him. He did win the last election, after all.

Dont look at me, I didnt vote for him.

Lieberman is a Federal senator–serving in a post that is established and defined by the U.S. constitution. CT law just doesn’t control how he can be removed from office.

So you’d need a constitutional amendment to let CT voters recall him. I’m not a fan of the man–but the constitution says he can’t be recalled.

The constitution says that CT can define who gets to vote for senators–but requires that they be elected by popular vote (see the 17th amendment–mandating popular election, and that the qualifications to vote for senator are the same as for the most numerous class of state legislature)-giving the state the free power to define how to resolve temporary vacancies in the post.

The federal constitution defines when he is up for election (art. 1, Section 3), who decides if he’s properly elected (1. 5) and how to remove him from office once he is serving (1. 5.)–the exclusive way to remove a federal legislator is a 2/3 vote of the house he serves in.

So to be able to recall him, you’d need a federal constitutional change (1) permitting state voters to remove a sitting senator, and (2) some definition (or giving states the power to make laws) as to how to actually hold such votes.

This post was intended for the now-closed thread with the same general subject. I see that here it’s cumulative information, but I already typed it, so…

Not true, yourself.

You night be relying on this page, or on some source that in turn relied on this page. But please note it’s for recall of state officials. Even if a state passed laws that purported to affect its U.S. Senators, they would very likely have no effect. We learn this from the the 1967 case of Idaho Senator Frank Church, who was the target of a recall effort by one Ron Rankin, a county commissioner who evidently thought Church sucked. Too bad, said the federal court: the U.S. Constitution overrides any state laws that purport to authorize recall, so you can’t do it.

Yup, that’s exactly what I did. I stand corrected, ignorance fought.

Closed at request of OP.

Colibri
General Questions Moderator