Cult Holiday Movies: Whats your favorite? RALPHIE!!!!

Ok here in the states there are a few cult holiday movies including but not limited to The Christmas Story - everybody knows Ralphy and the “you’ll shoot your eye out” movie. Then there is the old Rudolph the Red Nosed Reindeer with the Abominable Snowman movie. And my personal favorite the old Christmas Carol with Albert Finney! By far I can not go a christmas season without seeing that!

So anyone have other favorites? Comments on the afore mentioned? I love the holidays!

I think one of the most amusing things to do during the season is wait untill FX or one of those channels starts it’s “20 days of xmas” things where they play nothing but christmas shows all month. Because it means they dregde up absolute crap. The wife and i try to find the worst xmas specials to torture each other with.

I think one of the most amusing things to do during the season is wait untill FX or one of those channels starts it’s “20 days of xmas” things where they play nothing but christmas shows all month. Because it means they dregde up absolute crap. The wife and i try to find the worst xmas specials to torture each other with.

Christmas Vacation, Chevy Chase et al

Christmas Carol with George C. Scott, one of the best versions out there.

A Christmas Memory, narrated by Truman Capote

A Midnight Clear, Peter Berg, Kevin Dillon, Ethan Hawke, Gary Sinise (very underrated and under-promoted, an excellent film based on actual events)

I used to love A Christmas Story until my mother decided that it was going to be on our television the whole 24 hours of TNT’s marathon.

My favorites include the old Bing Crosby/Danny Kaye classic White Christmas (“Gee, I wish I was back in the arrrr-my.”) While You Were Sleeping is a great romantic comedy. And Christmas Vacation is always good for some laughs.

Scrooged brought Bill Murray back to life, dinnit?

Let me just toss in a vote for Santa Claus Conquers the Martians featuring none other than a young Pia Zadora!

Barry

The Nightmare Before Christmas is great because you can watch it at Halloween and then again at Christmas!

A Charlie Brown Christmas still chokes me up.

South Park’s Christmas episodes–especially the characters singing christmas carols–are hilarious! Mr. Garrison singing “Merry F***ing Christmas” leaves me in tears.

Home for the Holidays is my absolute favorite holiday movie. I watch it every Thanksgiving.

Scrooged is THE Christmas movie in the Bunny Household. Also frequently quoted throughout the year for any occasion. I had the special pleasure of getting to scream out the window at a noisy neighbour making repairs to his boat at 11:30 PM: “Would you PLEASE! STOP! THE GOD! DAMN! HAMMERING!!!”

Also Nightmare Before Christmas and Edward Scissorhands are quite enjoyable. And how about Silent Night, Deadly Night? :smiley:

Let’s not forgetSanta Claus is Coming to Town featuring the Winter Warlock and Burgermeister Meisterburger. I love that one.

Everyone sing with me: “Put one foot in front of the other…”

Miracle on 34th Street (original version, of course) beats A Christmas Story by a nose.

the rest:

1. A Christmas Carol (Alaister Sim version)
  2. How the Grinch Stole Christmas (the Chuck Jones cartoon, of course)
  3. Olive the Other Reindeer
  4. Rudolph the Red-Nosed Reindeer (“Bumbles bounce!”)
  5. The Thin Man (well, it does take place at Christmas :slight_smile: )

I can’t believe how I forgot the Grinch :smack:!

Oh my. I like so many of them. Miracle on 34th street, Its a wonderful life, How the Grinch Stole Christmas, Rudolf, Charlie Brown. I just can’t decide.

I think all o’ y’all are gonna have a great time at Bad Santa when it comes out later this year.

Preston Sturges’ Miracle of Morgan’s Creek and Clouzot’s Quai des Orfevres. Add the decidedly non-cult It’s a Wonderful Life and you’ve got my ultimate Christmas triple-bill.

And A Christmas Story is always worth a watching, as well.

Jumping on the bandwagon with A Christmas Story (try reading “In God We Trust, All Others Pay Cash,” upon which the movie was (loosely) based.)

Adding The History of Kris Kringle (that is the one with the Heat Meiser, etc., right?)

Another good one - but you’re thinking of: The Year Without a Santa Claus

The Junky’s Christmas, without a doubt. Makes me weepy, every time.

A Muppet Christmas Carol. Wonderfully done movie with great music and Michael Caine singing! What more could you ask for?