Cuomo might be in some trouble [Gov has resigned][Brother Chris fired by CNN]

I agree the lying and bullying , sexual harassment and political harassment are distinct from bad decisions made. I don’t see criticism of his decisions as politically driven. There are a lot of people with dead loved ones in NY that are going to want answers about his nursing home decision. The same decision he eventually rescinded in May. It’s going to be a “what did he know and when did he know it” scenario in light of his apparent coverup.

(bolding is mine)

Thanks for proving my point. They are pissed at him for the lie, not for putting people back into the nursing homes. I really appreciate you citing this against your own argument – it takes a big man, not to just admit he’s wrong, but to prove it to the people he’s arguing with. I’m impressed!

Warning for Magiver for ignoring mod instructions and then arguing the modnote in the thread.

This topic was automatically opened after 15 minutes.

Kamala Harris is apparently calling for Cuomo to step down. I’d provide a cite, but I’m on the road.

^ This.

Some of the pile-on of Cuomo is 100% bad faith—for example, ALL of it from people who gave Donald Trump a free pass for the several credible accusations of actual assaults committed by him, not to mention the innumerable instances of malfeasance in the non-carrying-out of his duties.

And some of the pile-on of Cuomo is from people who WERE vocal about wanting to see Trump held accountable. They now want to see Cuomo held accountable. This is reasonable.

Of course some of the pile-on is from people who don’t care either way about either Democrats or Republicans harassing women or lying about state actions; these are the pure cynics, who have spotted some personal advantage or other in bringing down Cuomo.

All in all, no one has a credible case that criticism of Cuomo “means” any one thing. It means varying things to various people.

(What a nasty piece of work he does indeed appear to be; my guess is that the sooner he’s gone, the better for Democrats. But what will follow matters a lot, too.)

I don’t think you read the article I cited so I will use the same PBS source:

Now, keep in mind, more data has come out. Our publication and other publications will be looking very carefully at whether or not there was a spike as a result of that March 25 memo. And I think those reports will continue as the weeks — weeks to come.

So major media outlets will be looking at his nursing home decision and comparing it to the spike in deaths.

I’m not sure how the article proves your position that only the lies, sexual harassment, and career harassment are part of his troubles. I’ve cited a credible source that they are going to actively look at nursing home decision. It looks like they are all factors in his troubles.

Please provide a cite that Democrats are calling for him to step down because of his nursing home policy. Also, please provide a cite that the impeachment investigation is investigating that “scandal”, or that the AG investigation is looking into that. Thanks.

Back to the actual topic of this thread, both NY Senators (Schumer and Gillibrand) are calling for him to step down. He may as well step down at this point because any hopes he had for higher office are totally out the window.

Per the opening sentence of this thread, your very first words were about his handling and mis-reporting of covid deaths.

Now you want to eliminate how he handled the crisis as a criteria and are looking for quotes limited to this as a separate issue rather than as one of a number of reasons that are causing him trouble.

Your very first statement indicates you place his handling of covid as one of the reasons for his troubles.

Now you’re trying to narrow the scope of calls for his resignation to the single issue of covid deaths by Democratic leaders. I have never made such a claim. I agree with your first sentence that his handling of covid is part of his troubles.

With that said it’s not hard to find information that indicates it’s a problem for Cuomo (bolding mine):

— The Democratic leaders of the New York State Senate are moving to strip Gov. Andrew M. Cuomo of unilateral emergency powers granted during the pandemic, setting up a remarkable rebuke for the governor from members of his own party.

The Senate’s measures, which could be voted on as soon as next week, underscore the deepening division between Mr. Cuomo and state lawmakers since the governor admitted to intentionally withholding critical data on virus-related deaths from the Legislature.

The moves came even as it emerged that the F.B.I. and the U.S. attorney for the Eastern District of New York had opened an inquiry into the Cuomo administration’s handling of nursing homes during the pandemic.
… …
He was criticized early on for his nursing home policy which he himself rescinded. Lying about the numbers to protect himself just made any bad decision worse. It doesn’t negate or overshadow the bad decision.

Cuomo’s nursing home policy, while not perfect, probably saved a lot of lives on balance.

It was, however, wrong to cover up nursing home deaths.

Right, and @Saintly_Loser has explained very clearly why he did the best that he could given the information and resources he had, plus nothing I’ve read about what he’s in trouble for talks about the nursing home policy, just the lying about the number of nursing home deaths. So, I’ve learned things in this thread. I had fallen for the right-wing bullshit about the nursing home policy and I’ve since learned better.

Feel free to have the last word on this. I will no longer engage with you on the topic of his nursing home policy. That question has been really well answered in this thread.

Back to what’s on-topic for this thread, it looks to me that his sexual harassment is what’s really getting him in trouble – I hear much more about that from other Dems than the lying about the deaths or bullying that Assemblyman. The NY Times has an article about how Al Franken’s problems are hanging over this scandal.

I’d say he’s fifty-fifty for hanging on until 2022, and he doesn’t run again.

I’ve addressed Saintly_Loser’s position on this so your supposition that it explains away what happened is opinion on your part. There were options available to Cuomo that were not used.

Also, the idea that the policy was necessary in March fails when you consider Cuomo rescinded it in May with the continued rise in deaths. To say it was the right thing to do in March and suddenly not in May puts a large hole in the argument.

Saintly_loser’s position is based on the idea that hospitals exist in a vacuum of metropolitan regencies and not in a regional or national system of available medical support. that is not the case. Instead of fully addressing hospital room shortages with the assets brought into to support them the choice was made to send patients back to nursing homes.

This post is bonkers.

Cases and deaths in NY were both dropping precipitously in May and well off their respective previous peaks.

Cuomo made the tough, but ultimately life saving decision to send COVID patients back to nursing homes. This is one of things he did right.

Covering up nursing home deaths however was unequivocally wrong.

Huh? You send people with Covid to nursing homes and Covid will spread to other nursing home patients.

Sending COVID positive patients who are recovering and no longer contagious to nursing homes does not spread COVID to other nursing home patients, and has the benefit of freeing up hospital space for more seriously ill patients. This saved lives.

He’s pretty much toast no matter what the investigation says. Especially with women voters.

Do you think he makes it all the through to the next election (2022)?

On a related note, Biden is not pushing Cuomo to resign – he says to wait for the investigation. Reasonable, I guess, since the investigation really does seem to be independent and properly staffed.

This notion that women voters are particularly sensitive to these types of issues does not always hold true.

In this case, Cuomo currently appears to have more support from women than from men.

can’t find link but someone on CNN said he’s been a known bully for a long time.