Cure all

Does anyone else subscribe to the theory that Gin and Tonic can mitigate effects of the common cold. Many times I’ve felt a cold coming on, drank a couple of G&T’s and voila…good as new.

I don’t know if it works, but it sounds like a great idea.

I’ve heard of gargeling with gin or whiskey when one feels a throat infection coming on. The theory is that the alcohol content will kill the bacteria in your throat.

I guess the effects that you’re describing comes from a couple of things:

1. It’s like you’ve just taken a large dose of cough syrup. There’s a lot of alcohol in cough syrup.

2. The alcohol soothed your aching muscles

3. It made your stuffy head feel clearer.

I can’t imagine that the effects would last long. If you really have a cold or flu, I suppose once the booze wears off that you’ll be back to feeling icky.

Alcohol is beneficial to cold sufferers, for the reasons stated above, but there’s more to a G&T than alcohol. I have heard of people drinking tonic water (with or without gin) to treat the common cold, but I’ve never tried it myself.

The tonic water contains quinine, the same stuff formerly used to treat (not cure) malaria. The comnmon cold is a very different thing from malaria, but quinine does reduce fever and pain, rather like aspirin. It’s not out of the question that it might help a cold, but I don’t know how much good it would really do. I suspect an appropriate dose of aspirin would do as much good.

Quinine is poisonous in large doses. That’s why my father always told me I should drink my gin straight.