Cecil Adams Quinine

:confused::confused:If you’ve taken a couple of Nurofen , dont take them with Indian tonic water. Dont know why or how, but the two do not mix well. I felt very very ill indeed,& it lasted ages. Anyone know why that should be. Interesting tho…

Welcome, Professional. It’s considered good form here to include a link to the column in question: Will the quinine in tonic water prevent malaria? - The Straight Dope

Nurofen is mostly ibuprofen and even the best tonic water has almost no quinine. Ibuprofen and quinine appear to play well together, so I suspect your reaction was to the gin. Or malaria, because tonic water will do nothing to stop it. However, I am nothing like a doctor. I am just one of those people who Little Ed sometimes allows to answer Cecil’s questions (online only), much to Cecil’s dismay, so you can assume my credibility is pretty much shot.

Welcome to the Straight Dope Message Boards, Professional, we’re glad to have you with us. There’s a column by Cecil about quinine: Will the quinine in tonic water prevent malaria? - The Straight Dope … and you’ve posted this in the forum for comments on Cecil’s columns. I suspect that you’ll find more responses in the General Questions forum, but I’m going to leave it here and see what develops.

If you haven’t got any responses in the next few days, I’ll move it to the other forum and we’ll see what happens.

Cecil Himself rarely answers questions here, he’s not paid to do that, and he’s an eccentric genius. He sometimes takes questions from these Message Boards as the “launch” for a column, though. And we do have other experts in various fields (and terrific researchers) who might be able to track down relationship between tonic and Nurofen.

OOps, I see dropzone beat me to it.