Current Economy: How Ya Doin'?

Just wondering.

Feel free to elaborate if you wish.

I’m unemployed and have had prolonged bouts of unemployment. I’m only avoiding having to sell the house because my family are helping me out.

As long as I stay in this shitty shitty job I’ll be just fine. If I lose it I know I’ll eventually run into foreclosure and lose my kids. With 11.0% of the citizens available for work in Oregon it’ll be a long time before I can get out of this shithole :frowning:

Just found out today officially that I will lose my job in 3 months (nationalization).
But, I talked to my former boss in the head office and he wants me to apply for a more senior position with him and an employee of mine is best friends with the HR Manager at another company in the Middle East that may have openings. I prefer working overseas as less taxes and more money, but I could stick it out in head office for a while until something opens up somewhere else. But words don’t pay the bills and until someone offers me papers to sign for a new job I"m hoarding my pennies.

I’m doing OK financially, but I’m stuck in a stressful job that is burning me out. With a recession on and twins on the way, I know I’ll be stuck there at least a year, maybe more.

After being unemployed for 21 months, I’m thrilled to be starting a temporary job with the Census on Monday, making slightly more than a third than I was at my last “real” job.

It`s probably not nice of me to say, but yesterday I got contacted by two companies within three hours who wanted to give me a contract.

The major difference that the recession is causing for me is that the top tier oil companies (Shell, BP, Nexen) wont return my calls, but everyone else will. Ive had great luck with everyone who isn’t an oil company.

I am starting a nice gov’t job. My husband is very secure in his position. A lot of things are a lot cheaper than they used to be. It did take me longer to find a job after I graduated law school.

As the saying goes, “for the 25% of people unemployed, the Great Depression sucked ass. For the other 75%… everything was on sale.”

My employer saw fit to give workers a pay cut (and to freeze cost of living and merit raises, starting in 2009) instead of layoffs… thank goodness. However, this means that I had to take a second job to support my family. The pay cuts are slated to end after 2011.

Doin’ fine. Our business is growing well, and we’re able to hire talent on sale.

In general, our area of the country didn’t boom (much) so it hasn’t busted (much).

The cities & counties are crying about loss of tax revenue, but the middle-class malls are still full of shoppers buying. As are the fancier places. OTOH, house construction and existing house sales are well down from the peak.

We just had a bunch of landscaping & construction done and each of the several contractors reported business and prices were off a bit, but nobody was in danger of going under.

I’m in a job that I love, making a good salary. I feel safe for the first time in my career.

I was at a meeting recently when they were telling us about the plans for the next year, and I believed what they were saying instead of believing it was a bunch of puffery. We’ve got exciting things coming, and I am happy to be a part of it.

I’ve got the security of a Fed job and the seniority that comes with 35+ years. I like my job, the commute isn’t terrible, and while I’m eligible to retire, I’m going to work a little longer so we can do some things that need to be done to the house (new roof, windows, siding…) plus a couple of things we want to do (deck, workshop) as well as adding to our savings and my retirement fund.

Barring unforeseen crises, I won’t work beyond Jan 2016. And lest someone raise the issue, if I retire, my position likely will be eliminated so I’m not taking a job from a young 'un. The long-term projection is to halve the size of my group. I’m just hoping long-term extends to Jan 2016…

After ten months of unemployment, I just started a new job (permanent, after temping there for three months) that is a million times better than my last job in every way, except that it pays less. :smiley:

It’s still a more-than-decent salary (and phenomenal benefits), so I’m tightening things up a little around here, and generally spending more thoughtfully, but I wouldn’t say we’re really suffering.

That’s where we’ve been. Got a half price tour to Europe for a family of four last year - everything for less than $10k - which considering that it was an “Adventures by Disney” tour was a GREAT deal. Also did a bunch of landscaping from a guy who gave us a really good deal.

I took a pay cut last year (company wide), but recently got it back. My husband even saw a bonus last year, not his normal fairly significant one, but not bad. Had a lot of cash when the stock market dropped, and so we made money there last year as well - enough to make up for my salary cut. This year we won’t, but the salary is back.

We are both out in corporate America, and I doubt our jobs are really truly secure long term. But short term we are both sitting pretty well.

We’re doing pretty well, but a lot of that is due to being in the right place at the right time more than anything else. I’m a stay-at-home mother right now and my husband works for a company that he loves. A couple people at his work have either gone to different companies or left on maternity leave, so he’s become very valuable to his bosses. Meanwhile, we moved here from overseas and were about to buy a house right when the market went south. Instead of buying, we waited and now we’ve decided to wait until I go back to work next year (when my youngest goes to school). The result is that we’ll be able to buy more house for our money and we’ll have a bigger down payment. We’re not struggling through this recession, but that’s mostly because we just happened to be at a point in our lives where we didn’t have a mortgage, car payments, or any other big financial commitments and we’ve been able to hunker down and ride it out.

I selected the top option, even though I’m technically making the same hourly wage that I was before. My overall income has actually taken a dip, because I’m no longer working two or more Saturdays a month of overtime.

However, I was recently promoted and after a couple month trial period, if it works out (and it looks very much like it will) I’ll be on salary with a pay bump. Plus, not working Saturdays is fine with me, even if it means no overtime pay.

We’re doing OK. Mr. Sali is looking at retirement in a few short years, but he’s had his current job for at least 30 years, is in the union, has hung on like a cat dangling from a curtain many times, but is going to keep working for as long as possible, barring bad health or death. It’s not like he’s going to retire and we’re going to start travelling the world or move to a fancy golf condo like you see those happy assholes in glossy retirement ads, he will have a moderate pension, and social security (if that doesn’t go down the shitter). We don’t want or need much. House is paid for. We will need new cars someday, and the house needs some serious repair, so I don’t know…Got a grown daughter living at home, unemployed, maybe going to grad school. We are supporting her, no problem, but have to ever so gently point out now and then that NO, she cannot order cute outfits from Athropologie, she cannot go out and buy a bunch of flimsy cute dresses from Target even if they ARE on sale, no, she cannot buy expensive skin treatments and cosmetics in a department store. Not on our dime. (Shopping as entertainment is a thing of the past, strolling through the mall looking for ‘bargains’ is downright painful. I just can’t do it any more, buying for the sake of buying.)

Hard for me to answer the question, since I graduated from college in spring of 2008. I was able to get a job 2 months later, and then applied to med school, which I will be starting in the coming fall. So, for purposes of the poll, I picked option 2 since my employment situation hasn’t changed for the past year and a half.

I discussed my job situation in this thread. In that time, I’ve lost my 401(k), incurred back taxes, maxed my credit cards, burned through thousands of dollars of my parents’ money, and haven’t paid child support since Fall. I would have declared Chapter 7 already, but I’m afraid I’ll lose my car (it’s paid for, but California law only protects $2300 worth); it hardly matters, as I own nothing anyone can take. Some of this is the result of horrible choices made in the depths of depression or financial panic, but I’d have to go back at least 6 years for the decision tree to lead to solvency now.

Doing better than last time around. Mr. S lost his previous bread-winning job in 2001, so things were tight for a while. Now he has a decent, fairly secure job with excellent health insurance (that costs us very little; thank you, State of Wisconsin!) and is paying a fair amount of the bills again.

I’m self-employed and, despite several clients having apparently disappeared (the publishing industry is headed down the tubes), my regulars are still keeping me busy, if at slightly depressed rates, and I actually grossed my highest income ever in 2009. But I still get a little nervous seeing upcoming gaps in my schedule. So far they’ve always been filled, but I know not to count my eggs, etc.

We’d have to be pretty bad off to be in danger of losing our house. We owned half of it when we bought out his sister, and it’s an unfinished house in a rural area, so our house payment is very low (and we have one only because we refinanced to kill CC debt a few years ago, otherwise it’d be paid off). Property taxes are similarly low, so little danger there.

I remember our previous hard times, though, and feel for those who are experiencing them now. Hang in there! You’ll pull through.