Curse you Steam Sale!: the unplayed game thread.

Browsing over my Steam library this morning I noted the following games I’ve bought during Steam sales, or through other vendors, cheap but have yet to play:

[ul]
[li]Incredible Adventures of Van Helsing 1,2 & 3[/li][li]Wolfenstein: The New Order[/li][li]Ryse: Son of Rome[/li][li]Pillars of Eternity[/li][li]Trine 1 & 2[/li][li]Magika[/li][li]Path of Exile (free)[/li][li]Wasteland 2[/li][li]Divinity: Original Sin[/li][li]Sir, You are being hunted[/li][li]Deadlight[/li][li]Witcher 2 & 3[/li][li]Batman Arkham Asylum & Arkham City[/li][li]STALKER: Call of Pripyat (with Complete 2009 upgrade)[/li][li]State of Decay[/li][li]Baldurs Gate 1 & 2 (Enhanced Editions)[/li][li]Mark of the Ninja[/li][li]Sang-Froid - Tales of Werewolves[/li][li]Bunch of Lego games (Indy 1, Harry Potter years 1-7, LOTR, Hobbit, Marvel Batman, Marvel Superheroes)[/li][li]Dark Souls[/li][/ul]

Plus several I need to finish:

[ul]
[li]Shadow of Mordor[/li][li]The Bureau: XCOM[/li][li]Sniper Elite V2 & 3[/li][li]Sunless sea[/li][li]XCOM: Enemy Unknown[/li][li]Torchlight 2[/li][li]Grim Dawn[/li][li]Shadowrun Returns[/li][li]Call of Juarez: Gunslinger[/li][li]Homeworld: Remastered[/li][li]Skyrim[/li][/ul]

That’s not counting quite a few games I got and abandoned after playing with no real intention of going back to.

Anyone else got a bunch of stuff to play?

Any recommendations as to what to have a go at before the next sale expands that collection yet again? :o

I’ve got a ton, mostly as a result of Humble Bundles that contained one or two games I was actually interested in, plus a bunch I’d never heard of. Let’s see, here…

The Basement Collection
The Binding of Isaac
BIT.TRIP RUNNER
Cave Story+
Closure
Cogs
Crayon Physics
Hammerfight
Indie Game: The Movie
Jamestown
Legend of Grimrock
Offspring Fling
Shank
Shank 2
Snapshot
Super Meat Boy
VVVVVV

Of your list, I’ve never played Trine 1, but Trine 2 was a great game, and I expect the first one probably was, too. It’s a side-scrolling fantasy adventure with a heavy dose of puzzles, and it can be played well either single-player or cooperatively with up to 3 players. It’s also got some beautify scenery.

And Baldur’s Gate is one of the best computer implementations of D&D yet. 1 and 2 have basically the same gameplay (2 is extended a bit, mostly due to being higher level), but I liked the story of 1 better (in any event, you should play the first one first).

I played BG1 back when it was first released and loved it but changing one of the 7(I think) CD’s each time I moved to a new area got a bit annoying :slight_smile: . If they have managed to keep the feel in the EE I’ll be happy.

Easily hundreds. But a lot of it was bundle fodder and stuff like that. Some popular or AAA-style games that I have yet to play:

Alan Wake
Amnesia
Assassins Creed 2, 3, Unity (I did play Black Flag though!)
Batman: Arkham City
Batman: Arkham Origins
Castlevania: Lords of Shadow (1 & 2)
Crysis (1, 2 & 3)
DmC: Devil May Cry
Devil May Cry 4
Doom 3
The Evil Within
FEAR (1, 2 & 3)
GTA (San Andreas, Vice City, 3 & 4)
Injustice
Lara Croft & Guardian of Light
Lara Croft & Temple of Osiris
More LEGO games that you could shake a controller at
Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance
Metal Gear Solid: Ground Zeroes
Middle Earth: Shadow of Mordor
Prototype 2
Resident Evil 6
Saints Row: Gat out of Hell
Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic
A million Warhammer 40k games

My oldest backlogged game is Bioshock 2 purchased July 2, 2011.

Oh, geez, I think I may actually spend more time buying games than playing them. My daily internet routine includes a trip to the gamedeals reddit and I’m quite bad at passing up cheap deals, even when I know in my heart I’ll never get around to playing them. So, a partial list of the games I ought to boot up:

Untouched:
Assassin’s Creed 1, 2, Brotherhood
Dead Space 1, 2, 3
Batman: Arkham Origin
Brutal Legend
LA Noire
Hate Plus
The Walking Dead
Dishonored DLC
VVVVVV
The Witcher 1, 2
Alan Wake
Crysis
Red Faction: Armageddon
Blood Bowl
King’s Bounty, like, five of them
Men of War, like, another five of them
Amnesia
Brothers- A Tale of Two Sons
Cargo Commander
Crusader Kings 2
Deadly Premonition
Dustforce
Eldritch
Euro Truck Simulator 2
FEZ
Planetary Annihilation
Prison Architect
Sang-Froid

Started, put aside, should go back to:
Legend of Grimrock 1 & 2
Pillars of Eternity
Rayman Origins
Space Rangers HD
Vampire the Masquerade: Bloodlines
Divinity: Original Sin
Guacamelee
The Secret World
STALKER, all of them
Ironclad Tactics
PAYDAY 2
Wasteland 2
Lara Croft and the Guardian of Light
Avadon 1, 2 + Avernum
Dragon Age: Inquisition
Risen
Blackguards

Between Steam/Humble and GOG, at this point it might be easier to list games played.

Steam Summer Sale is June 11-20 this year (according to some leaked info) so we can all revisit the thread in a couple weeks and expand upon our answers.

I have a bunch, mostly flight sims or strategy sims that I just haven’t had the time or focus to sink into.

Can I ask you all what these games are designed to play on?

Laptop/desktop, iphone, or ipad? Or all of them?

Just for reference, I am not a gamer, and I only have a few games on my iPad. My iPhone is much too small for me to be able to play anything, either because my fingers are too big, the screen is to small, or both.

Sorry for the basic level question. But I am an old guy trying to keep up.

PC, I’d imagine for most people. There’s often cheap deals on smaller titles (like $3.99 for 8 or 10 games bundled together) and regular seasonal sales where more mainstream games can be 66-75% or more off.

Steam is a PC (Windows/Mac/Linux, though more Windows than the others) client.

Notables from my list (I’m not going to count Humble Bundle stuff that wasn’t my intent in buying)

Age of Wonders 3
Cities XL
Kingdoms of Amalur
Overload 1 and 2
Roller Coaster Tycoon 3
Sid Meier’s Pirates
Tropico 4
Vampyres the Masquerade: Bloodlines

Rome 2: Total War and
Pillars of Eternity

have small amounts of playtime, though I keep meaning to play the latter.

Five items currently had caught my eye enough to put on my wishlist in anticipation of upcoming sales, of them I’m pretty sure I’d play Saints Row: Gat out of Hell, the other 4 (Medieval Engineers, Tabletop Simulator, Windward and Qvadriga) stand a good chance of being on future not played/played much list.
XCom: Enemy Unknown

I found always been more a game collector than player. Oh the money I have spent.

In Steam right now I have all of the following sitting unplayed or even undownloaded in some cases:

Batman Arkham Origins (I also have an unplayed Arkham City on a disk)
Dishonored
Gone Home
Kingdoms of Amalur
LA Noire
Remember Me
Shadowrun Returns
The Swapper
XCom Enemy unknown

These are just the ones I have literally never played. The list would be twice as long if I added games I played for an hour or less and never picked back up.

Thanks, all!

Follow-up question… Do you have these games actually loaded onto your pc, or are they sitting somewhere on a CD?

I would think you would want to keep as much space on your hard drive free as possible, and I can’t imagine these games have small disk space requirements.

The games are in the cloud. When you want to play one, you download it to your PC via the online service (Steam), and then it is installed to your hard drive. When you’re done, you uninstall them. If you want to play the same game later, you just download it again.

Yeah, lots here as well.

Aliens: Colonial Marines
Assassin’s Creed (I, II, III, IV)
The Bard’s Tale
Beyond Divinity
Borderlands (I did load this at one point but only played an hour or two)
CastleStorm (same here)
Chinvalry: Medieval Warfare
Crysis 2 Maximum Edition
Dead Island
Dishonored (it’s loaded and I plan to play this one, someday…)
Divinity: Original Sin
Dota 2
Dungeon Defenders II
Endless Space
Farcry (I, 2 and 3)
FORCED (I don’t even know what this one is or where it came from :smack:_
Fractured Space
FTL: Faster Than Light (loaded, played an hour)
Guantlet (bought because of fond memories of the old arcade game…loaded, played, abandoned)
Guns of Icarus
Pillars of Eternity (loaded and played 2 hours)
Metro: Last Light
Mount&Blade
Portal
Project Zomboid
RAGE
RIFT
The Settlers 7
Sid Meier’s Starships (loaded, played an hour, abandoned)
Space Hulk (loaded, played 20 minutes, abandoned)
Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic (loaded and played a bit)
Stronghold 3 (loaded, played a few hours then ran screaming away)
Sword of the Stars Complete Collection (couldn’t figure this one out…too stupid I guess)
Theater of War (never could get it to load)
Torchlight II
Wasteland 2 (still plan to play through this one day)
The Witcher (1 and 2…plan to play still one day)
X3: Terran Conflict (again…couldn’t figure it out, too stupid)

And this is just on Steam. :stuck_out_tongue:

I am really, really fond of Tabletop Simulator. Looking at it as someone without any local board gaming friends, the potential there is just incredible. Once it reaches full release on June 5th, I may feel compelled to begin evangelizing it to others in earnest.

Games with no hours on record. There’s easily 30 more with less than an hour playtime, but I didn’t bother.

World of Goo
War of the Roses
Warlock - Master of the Arcane
TRAUMA
Skyrim (I played in on PS4 and just picked it up in a bundle when it was on sale. Need a better machine to really load up the graphical mods and go nuts).
The Ball
Supreme Commander/SC: Forged Alliance
Stacking
Spore
SpellForce 2
Shadowgrounds: Survivor
Samorost 2
Red Srochestra 2
Red Faction Series
Realms of Ancient War
Penumbra: Overture
Painkiller
Nihilumbra
Multiwinia
Mirror’s Edge
Medal of Honor
Max Payne 3
Lugaru HD
Limbo
IL-2 Sturmovik: 1946
Far Cry
Escape Rosecliff Island
DUNGEONS - The Dark Lord
Dungeonland
Dead Space
Crysis 2 Maximum Edition
Confrontation
Command and Conquer: Red Alert 3
Cogs
Cities XL Platinum
Bioshock 2
Beyond Good & Evil
ArcaniA
Amensia: The Dark Descent
Arma 2
The Guild II
Super Hexagon
Eets Munchies
Darwinia
Feeding Frenzy 2

Yeah, my issues are twofold–the people I would be wanting to play with are still at the “Steam? I think I’ve heard that name somewhere” stage, and I’m not sure how game will actually play out once they get past the “Wild West” Napster-like stage.

For example, they’ve announced Superfight as an official “paid” game (or DLC, whatever you want to call it), but unlike an actual tabletop game where one person brings the game and all can play, they are making it more like traditional computer DLC where everyone has to buy the game to be able to play it. Not sure how well that will actually work, long-term.

Try having some self discipline.