Cyberpunk 2077 has a date! 4-16-2020

So much sooner that I expected, this is one I have been most eagerly awaiting, and has been on top since the Borderlands 3 Epic store BS. Less than a year away.

It also has some guy who was in a couple movies in the 80’s

I just pre-ordered from GoG after seeing the new footage. It sucks that it is still a year away but man, does it look good.

This is a movie game right, not an open game? I mean, there’s a script and you play the main character in it, right?

I’m not exactly sure what distinction you’re making. It’s a single player game with a main plot that you’re the hero of, and there will most likely be several cinematic setpiece-type missions. But it’s also an open world game where you can explore the city and do side quests or just mess around. Best guess, it’s about a 40 hour game if you just plow through the main quest or a multi-hundred-hour game if you explore every nook and cranny of the city.

And if it’s anything like its predecessors, your character’s decisions will end up impacting the story in major and minor ways.

If it’s anything like its predecessors it will end up being much longer than 40 hours when it is all said and done.

As someone with 573 hours (and counting) in* Witcher 3*, I’m not really one to complain.

I find that I dislike two kinds of games: hallway games (where you proceed on a narrow path, simply working your way thru levels) and movie games (where the “game” is actually a movie script and my button-mashing is just to help move the story along). IMO a movie game is actually the same thing as a hallway game, just dressed up nicer.

Would you call modern Western RPGs (Witcher, Mass Effect, Elder Scrolls, Assassin’s Creed et al) “movie games”?

It’s from the people who made Fallout: New Vegas, a great game. Still my favorite Fallout and the true Fallout 4.

I never played Fallout 4. I STILL don’t have a computer that can run it.

Keanu Reeves is Johnny Silverhand… If you’d told that to me and my RPG buddies in 1999 when we played Cyberpunk… we woud have laughed at you I think.

No it’s not.

New Vegas was made by Obsidian (published by Bethesda). Obsidian grew out of the guys at Interplay who created Fallout 2.

Cyberpunk 2077 is CD Projekt Red (published by CD Projekt).

While the people who make video games frequently jump studios, or will sometimes contract with another studio while being a direct employee of a different one, this game has very little to do with the guys who made New Vegas.

So the guys who made the Witcher games.

Witcher 3 is one of my favorite games of all time so I’m going to follow this one closely. :slight_smile:

Would you? The Matrix came out in '99. And Johnny Mnemonic came out in ‘95. Reeves’ “cyberpunk cred” was pretty established even by then.

Cyberpunk 2077 definitely won’t be a button-masher or be loaded down with quick-time-events. Most likely, the main plot will be moderately linear, but it can be played or ignored at will in favor of sidequests. As Alessan notes, it is a Western RPG in the vein of The Witcher or Fallout.

Thanks folks. I have The Witcher: Enhanced Edition and Assassin’s Creed 2 but haven’t played either, really. I’ve started AC2 several times but I get bored within minutes. Witcher I bought based on good word of mouth, but I’ve never been interested enough to even dwnoad it.

I dislike games where I am playing someone else; I want to be the hero.

I’ve only played Elder Scrolls Online and that, to me, was like WoW or EQ in that you could follow the quest storylines, you could ignore quests and fight other players, etc. Quite a bit of freedom in choices and experiences.

The others mentioned are not games I’ve played, so I can’t comment.

In my crowd at least, Johnny Mnemonic provided approximately the same cyberpunk cred as starring in Mary Poppins.:wink:

Fair enough, but it’s not like Cyberpunk 2020 didn’t have plenty of cheese to start with, or really the entire cyberpunk genre for that matter. It’s all a bit silly. William Gibson basically invented the genre without knowing the first thing about actual computers, networks, or virtual reality (doesn’t make it not fun, obviously).

There’s going to be plenty of character customization in Cyberpunk 2077. Plenty of choice there in both appearance and gameplay. Though it’s first person, so you’ll only see yourself in cutscenes and the like.

I just played the first, oh, 3 minutes of The Witcher. If this is similar to Cyberpunk 2077, I’ll pass.

What I saw in Witcher was exactly what I don’t like: it’s a movie, and I’m just there to advance to the next cut scene. I’m not even involved for about half the time I played, maybe more: I keep having to watch my character (again: not me) do things in cut scenes while I sit and twiddle my thumbs. I don’t want to play a game for 5 minutes and then have to watch a 6 minute cut scene. And I don’t want to just proceed down a narrow hallway/play out a script that someone else has already determined how it will/should end.

If this was an open world with quests and ways to interact with other people, I’d be there. I’d love a futuristic RPG… but IMO this isn’t what is meant by the term RPG; this is play-acting.

Thank you all for helping me sort out what the gameplay here will be like; I look forward to the day when I can see an edit of the story on a perfect walk-thru or something, but I will prolly decline the opportunity to play thru it myself. It does look fantastic.

You couldn’t possibly be wronger about The Witcher. Like many RPG’s, it starts with some cutscenes and tutorial segments where you’re pretty much on rails, but once you get through that it’s wide open. The Witcher 3 is probably the best open world RPG that’s ever been made.