Cyclists, beware!

Yea, but you’re supposed to. In most jurisdictions, the very same laws you follow for passing a stopped or slow car apply to you when passing bicyclists. As it happens, enforcement of this is lax in most places without strong bicyclist lobbies. The police see what’s going on, and as long as no one is in danger, they’re gonna look the other way when you zip around a cyclist.

Try pulling around a bicyclist in NoCal without signaling and you’ll find out where the liberal death penalty proponents live. OK, it’s not that extreme, but you know what I’m saying.

As it happens, that is the controlled response. It’s not like I chase the weasels down and shoot them after they’ve fallen. I’ve had the urge, but always controlled myself. :wink:

I’m with you there. Inconsiderate weasels. Sure you don’t want to borrow an umbrella? :wink:

Livin’ on Tums, Vitamin E and Rogaine

Bicyclists in Houston are not required to stop at stop signs or red lights.

Bicyclists can only ride about a foot away from the curb, because some tiny piece of junk YOU could drive over needs to be avoided.They could easily fall riding over a beer can. You also can’t ride on and off curbs unless you have fat tires(recommended for lots of potholes etc.)

What I don’t get is joggers who run in the street, in the dark, when there are side walks next to them.

Bicycles are legally (and logically) vehicles and, virtually everywhere in the USA, are supposed to be ridden on roads. In many locations it is actually illegal to ride them on sidewalks.

Bicycles are supposed to obey the same set of traffic laws that cars do, with only a few exceptions. (Many bicyclists ride in an unpredictable and unsafe manner, of course, but many automobiles are driven in a similar manner). That means bicycles should use the same turn lanes as cars, obey stop signs and stop lights, and so on.

For the most part, bicycles are not allowed on limited access highways with minimum speed limits. The exceptions to this tend to be where there is no practical alternative route.

When passing, the passing vehicle has the obligigation to pass in a safe manner, whether the vehicle being passed is a farm tractor or a bicycle.

I think that about sums it up.

peas on earth