Czarcasm, Giraffe, is this a new pit policy?

This is correct. I don’t know the details of Cartooniverse’s anti-Pit policy, but I do believe the guilt of having moved Cartooniverse’s thread to a forum he was sworn not to visit ate away at Czarcasm until he was near the brink of madness and despair. I’m pretty sure he cried, too.

Me, I closed Spongemom’s thread because I’m mean and don’t want anyone to have any fun. Instead, I taunted her myself on email for the rest of the day while dressing up in a variety of sexy, sexy outfits. I don’t know if she cried – I was too busy singing along with my Celine Dion album.

In general, there’s no policy by which threads are closed at the request of the OP. It’s all up to our notoriously fickle whims. Sometimes, we not only leave the thread open but change the OP’s username and reset their post count back to zero.

Sorry I took so long to respond, but work beckoned me.
Minty got it right on the nose. The thread was started in IMHO, and I felt tht it was more of a BBQ Pit-type thread, so I moved it. Cartooniverse e-mailed me and told me of his self-imposed exile from the Pit, and asked me to close the thread, which I did. As TVeblen said, I just didn’t know about this particular Pit situation.

BTW, I wasn’t crying-there was something in my eye.

I concur…let the OP receive a few kicks to the ass if warranted, but there’s no conceivable reason to leave it open long enough for every Doper under the sun to pitch in.

Well, that is certainly clearer, but is it wise to have an exception to board policy for just one individual? If the thread was pit worthy, than it was pit worthy. As it stands we have an 800lb gorilla in the room that not only is nobody addressing, we can’t even admit that it exists. Cartooniverse has levied some pretty heavy charges of pedophilia with no evidence against an organization that is (as far as anyone knows) innocent of those charges, and now there is no place to discuss them because he is disinclined to post in the pit??? Are you serious? Opening another thread to discuss the closed one would be against board rules as well. Tell me, if Cartooniverse were to say or do something that I found offensive, would any pit thread I started to deal with the situation be closed just because “oh, he doesn’t post in the pit”? What kind of bullshit double standard is that? Well, if that’s the way the game is played…

From here on out I am adopting a policy of not posting in response to any posts that insult to deride me or my positions. Since that policy makes me unable to respond to any criticism, I expect that any and all threads where I am criticized shall be closed forthwith by the moderators once I report them, as my new policy means that I am unable to respond to such insults and accusations. In fact, I might suggest a sticky thread be placed in the pit to give me a prominent forum for listing those threads that displease me, making it easier for the moderators to give me special treatment. Thank you for your prompt attention in this matter. :rolleyes:

Well, if you’re so hot on the topic, Weirddave, what’s stopping you from pitting Cartooniverse and discussing whether the Masons are pedophiles in there? Or even starting a GD thread on DeMolay?

A few points:

1. Go ahead and Pit Cartooniverse, if you want to. Sure, he won’t read it, but that can be true of any poster, as there is no rule that requires a poster to read and/or post in the Pit.

2. Czarcasm decided to close that thread because it seemed like the right thing to do in this specific situation. It’s not a new loophole in board policy. If this was part of a larger pattern of hit-and-run Pit threads by Cartooniverse, you might have a point. But there isn’t, so you don’t.

3. Stop being a melodramatic douchebag.

1. Why should I pit Cartooniverse? If I felt he did something pit worthy, I’ll pit him. I haven’t seen anything. Frankly, I wasn’t given a chance to decide if he was doing anything pit worthy because his thread was closed before more facts could develop

2. Fine, he made a decision. I realize that. I even pointed it out. I think it was a very poor decision, and that he didn’t think of the ramifications of what he was doing. All I would like is for you to admit that a: Making an exception to board policy was a mistake and it won’t happen again or b: Cartooniverse is now immune from responsibility for what he says, because anything he posts that is pit worthy will be closed instead of moved to the pit where it belongs. Which is fine, if that’s the policy you want to make, then make it but at least have the balls to own up to it instead of prevaricating all over the place.

3. Hyperbole is exaggeration for effect. Melodrama is a literary device. Please tell me what it is about my last paragraph that is substantially different from how you are treating Cartooniverse, hyperbole aside.

I was addressing your comment here:

This read to me that you were worried the precedent set by this thread closing made Cartooniverse immune from criticism because we are also planning to close any future Pit threads about him. It doesn’t. You can Pit him, just like any other poster.

What policy? There is no policy. If an OP asks to have a thread closed, we might close it. Or we might not. It completely depends on the situation. That’s why we get paid the big bucks: to make these high stakes calls.

I gotta go with Weirddave on this one - was the thread closed because it was time to close it, or simply because Cartooniverse has a particular tic? If the former, no problem. If the latter, that indicates favouritism for no particular good reason.

This brings up another question - if there is favouritism on these Boards, does it really matter? Why?

Cartooniverse chose to start a thread accusing an entire organization of horrid, immoral, and damn near evil activity. I do not see it as being part of your responsibility to rescue him from the consequences of that action. If it injures his sensibilities to be in the Pit, then he should not start a Pit thread in another forum.

Melodramatic douchebag or not, Weirddave has an excellent point. Please see above.

He didn’t start a pit thread in another forum. Czarcasm thought it was more pitworthy and the responses might turn that way, so he moved it. Cartooniverse didn’t post the thread where he did as some sort of dodge. If he had a pattern of this sort of thing, there would be a point here. Since he doesn’t, there isn’t.

Weirddave can start his own pit thread about any sort of pittable behavior on cartooniverses part and noone will close it down. As such, he has no legs to stand on. The mods haven’t even laced up the jackboots on this one. They made a judgement call. Life goes on.

ISTM the closing of a thread has always been left to the moderator’s discretion. Since it’s always been ad hoc there’s no reason to think this is a policy change. You just have to get lucky with who gets your cowardly close request.

He does have one leg to stand on: people will give Weirddave grief for Pitting someone he knows “can’t” fight back. Don’t you think?

It was a pit thread. How can you possibly read that thread and not see the pitworthiness of it? You’re right in that Cartooniverse has not made a habit of that. I’ll send my ire back to the barracks, and hope that if Cartooniverse wishes to stay out of the pit, he will not start any further threads that deserve the pit.

Paranoia is premature. It’s being tossed around in the mod e-mail loop even as we speak. Type. Squint at the monitor and cuss.

This all evolved very simply. We’ve warned/advised posters before that they should avoid certain forums if they keep getting into trouble in them. It’s used to help salvage posters if their problems are localized, so to speak.

It all happened quite a while ago, there weren’t any more problems and so it was pretty much water over the dam. Don’t bet the rent check on my memory, but I think this is the first time an avoid-forum was used for the Pit. The crucial difference was the forum, not the poster. It’s a different wrinkle with the Pit, so give us a little time to iron it out.

And just FTR, I do not have balls, have never regretted the lack but do not burst out sobbing like, oh, Czarcasm. ‘Something in his eye’, phooey. He hasn’t recoverd composure since Old Yeller got iced.

Veb

I can’t wait for my new glasses! Eight more days.

[/MPSIMS]

I just have a few things to say.

1. My cats don’t go outside anymore. They’re miserable, but they’re alive. Drop it and find something productive to do.

2. My neighbors are not completely innocent here: They have a new puppy now. Their Rott has mauled the puppy several times, once almost ripping its leg off. They still leave the puppy and the Rott in the backyard alone together.

3. Whoever said it, you’re damn right that attack hurt. But for some reason, I’m breaking my vow to never return here just to make this post.

4. Whoever invaded my forum today and posted all over the place calling me a “cat murderer” and saying I got my cats killed on purpose, your posts are deleted, your IP and email address are banned, so stop. You’re only wasting your time.

I try not to think. It makes my head hurt. Also gets me into all kinds of trouble. :wink:

Yeah, people will give weirddave some stick for pitting someone who won’t post back, but if it’s deserving than it won’t amount to too much, will it?

TYM, I could go either way on that thread. He seemed to be asking a poll type question (asking about other peoples experiences either fer or agin.) The accusation is also pit material. Flip a coin I guess.

This is NOT the thread to dredge up your old grievances, Spongemom. If you don’t want any more attention called to your situation, then stop posting about it.
Whatever happened on your site, do not drag it back in here.

Veb

You could say the same about a thread called, “Is Harborwolf an asshole?” It’s still clearly pit material, even if phrased as a poll.

[sub]I’d vote “no,” btw.[/sub]