Czarcasm - why are you still a mod?

I don’t know if the moratorium on using the phrase Usual Suspects is over, but it’s my totally subjective impression that a lot of the noise is coming from a relatively small number of posters. In particular, there was one minor disagreement that spawned several, I don’t know, knicker-knotted revenge threads that give the appearance of a larger issue/problem with decisions.

Yeah, I agree with Rhythmdvl. There was one probably-bad moderating decision that led to a shitstrom (not a typo; that’s a shit-filled maelstrom) of spin-off threads.

How much overlap has there been? I’m honestly curious. These new threads were all started by posters–who as far as I can tell–were not at all involved with the “shitstorm.”

“The Usual Suspects” implies a history of similar behavior. I personally hadn’t publicly expressed by displeasure before a week or so ago. Are there posters involved now that have a history of complaining about Czarcasm’s actions?

Strom.

Close enough :stuck_out_tongue:

Actually, while Czarcasm has apparently apologized for two of the calls he made in that thread, i don’t even think anyone has mentioned (what i think was) the worst moderating post he made in that thread.

To wit:

I think this is a bullshit instruction.

Firstly, chiroptera broke no rules. There was no personal insult; nothing that would warrant sending that post to the Pit.

Second, i think that jamiemcgarry’s history of posting threads about handicapped parking space issues is completely relevant to that thread.

Like it or not, some people post a lot on single issues, and their obsessions often affect the way that other people perceive their posts. In his time here, jamiemcgarry has posted enough about disabled parking that it is one of the things that he’s known for. Also, in those threads, he has drawn quite a bit of attention for (what many perceive as) his unreasonable attitude to some aspects of disabled persons’ issues.

I think all of that is relevant information in a thread, started by jamiemcgarry, about a dispute over a disabled parking space.

I can’t speak for Czarcasm here, but WTF? Some of you are setting the bar for moderator mistakes really low these days. As I read this, he’s not admonishing anyone, but clarifying the point that it’s perfectly fine for jamie to have opened his thread in IMHO. Possibly MPSIMS would have been even more appropriate, but there’s usually a good deal of crossover between the forums, particularly since we’ve enabled polls nearly everywhere.

It was chiroptera who questioned the placement of his thread, and Czarcasm was responding to that. There’s no warning or admonition anywhere in here, at least not the post referred to here.

Are you fucking kidding me?

Czarcasm admonished chiroptera for bringing up jamiemcgarry’s posting history, and suggested that if chiroptera wanted to “castigate” jamiemcgarry for anything related to this issue, he should take it to the Pit.

Still, i shouldn’t have expected anything more from one of the few mods around here who is worse at his job than Czarcasm.

Freudian slip?

I’ve never complained about a moderator here, or even been bothered by a mod decision before so I don’t think I’m a usual suspect. Also to the best of my recollection, I’ve never been admonished by a mod here.

Also, I made my post in ATMB before I even read this one.

If I was “questioning the placement of the thread” that’s news to me. I was asking jaime what he expected to accomplish by posting yet another story about him v a hostile world, when every other one of them has gone predictably downhill. I thought my question was fairly transparent; apparently not. I didn’t intend any hidden meanings or implications.

I want to make it clear that I’m not trying to be a shrill harpy here, calling for Czarcasm’s head on a stake. It’s bumming me out that the same moderator has been taken to the mat so many times in the last couple of weeks; for the most part moderation on this board is fair… there are times when I don’t agree, but at least I feel respected. I don’t get the same vibe from Czarcasm’s moderation lately.

Yes, the moderators have a tough job, but if Czarcasm can’t handle the duties of IMHO, switch to a fluffier forum, like Cafe Society of the Game Room. It’s not cool that he’s making admonishments left and right, often a little quick to the draw. Moderating should be about making sure people have discussions and share their stories in a respectful manner, not about nitpicking the minutia of each specific sentence.

And asking that question out in the open makes it an insult, and would very likely derail the thread into yet another “Let’s bash the disabled guy for daring to say his life sucks,” thread. Before Czarcasm got back, this is how every thread pileon started.

I don’t like Czarcasm’s moderation very much. But he’s not wrong here. If you’d really wanted to know, you’d have PMed him.

Oh bullshit. A “pile-on” is just a whiner’s phrase to say “Waaah…a whole bunch of people independently didn’t like what I had to say and are telling me so”. Unless you have evidence of behind-the-scenes collusion where people coordinate their responses, a “pile-on” is the natural response to a stupid OP.

I understand that a certain contingent of people are upset when others share their opinions and try to stifle people sharing their opinions by labeling it a “pile-on”, but everyone knows that’s total and complete crap. Or would you prefer a quota–so there could only be say, 3 dissenting posts the OP? Because anything else is a “pile-on”.

And the “Discuss board issues in private, via PM” thing is even worse. Board issues should be discussed in the open. Board complaints even moreso. It was an absolutely idiotic idea when Czarcasm demanded that any comments/questions about his mod decisions be PM’d to him and was quickly squashed. I’d like to say that I’m surprised that you’re in favor of such a stupid idea, but I’m not.

and Grapefruit: Good heavens; don’t suggest Czarcasm be moved to Cafe Society. I like that forum and don’t want to see a whole run of threads where he decides that saying stuff like "I hated the fucking movie of “Starship Troopers” or “You like home-fries more than tater tots?? Are you crazy??! ;)” is somehow a personal insult and then warns you and demands you take it to the Pit.

You wouldn’t mind linking to a few examples of this, would you? Just one or two, at least. I must have missed some key threads, because I can’t remember a single one where jamiemcgarry complained about his life sucking and was then bashed for saying so.

I do remember several where he described confronting strangers in which he was criticized for his behavior, and a recent one where he had run out of meds and was depressed, in which he received a lot of sympathy and constructive advice. What you describe sure sounds cruel, by contrast. Cites please?

**Czarcasm **has two problems as a mod. He sometimes makes questionable or simply wrong decisions, and some of his modding posts tend to be curt and abrasive. This type of tone can inflame situations. It would be better to follow the example of his colleagues, and be more conciliatory.

O noes! We’re piling on. You criticized BigT’s idiotic post and so did I. :rolleyes: (PS–I agree–his comment is delusional.)

My 2 cents:

I’ve spent most of my time on this board in GQ - I would rate the moderating in there as a 10 on a scale of 1 to 10, zero complaints.

In the last year or two I’ve been over in IMHO more often - I’m not going to assign a numerical rating to the moderating because I am trying to be more positive - I will just say I think it would be a vast improvement if there was WAY less moderator actions in that forum. The level of attempted influence in that forum is orders of magnitude more than is required for an “opinion” forum and I think detracts from the enjoyment of even going into that forum.

GQ, where I mod, is a breeze to mod. I’d rate it a 1 out of 10 as to ease of modding. IMHO, would be a 5 out of 10 to Mod. Great Debates would be a 9/10. I have sympathy for those guys.

Why do you think that is? I was kind of analyzing that as I was writing my post and trying to determine if GQ was more self-moderating and possibly it is due to the nature of the topics and participants.

But, it seems to me, IMHO threads should be allowed a lot of lee-way because, unlike GD or GQ, it’s more of a relaxed social conversation. Unless someone is being a real jerk, why try to steer and constrain the conversation the way it seems to be today?

Oh, right… I didn’t think about that. Okay, let’s go with Czarcasm’s head on a stake then!

Seriously, though, I think what irks me is that while Czarcasm issues individual apologies, he never really sees that it’s a general pattern that needs to be changed. As NineToTheSky pointed out, it’s the general abrasiveness that is part of the problem, and that’s what needs to be changed.