Dammit, news editor, read the AP Stylebook before I throw it at your fucking forehead

Aren’t all the reasons someone likes something better than something else “personal” reasons?

That said, Anaamika is a total freak for liking ToD better than LC.

That goes double for GargoyleWB.

:smiley:

You might be interested in the letters to the editor that appeared in today’s edition of my university newscoughpaper.

The moral of the story: Don’t piss off the English majors.

Ah, if I had a nickel for every time I found a typo or some bad grammar in the Collegiate Times, I wouldn’t be going to a state school. And they were onerous. Mistakes in the headlines, for fuck’s sake.

Of course, they’re not nearly as amusing as the substance gaffs they make in the paper sometimes. One time in the staff-written editorial column, I saw the phrase “Like the condor rising from its ashes…”

I shit you not.

Yes, we English majors (past and present) have “deep-seeded prejudices” against those who use language sloppily. Of course, the antepenultimate paragraph in the opinion piece I linked is improved (at least comedically) by imagining Fred Willard asking “Wha’ happened?” in the style of his character in A Mighty Wind.

Great rant, Tracy. Hope you never “DISSAPEAR” from the **SDMB{/b]! :wink:

And he inserted the letter P into the word “hamster!” What a fucker!

I kid. Having someone above you screw up is a huge pain. At least you have the Editor in Chief on your side.

You know, two years ago I’d never heard of St. Cloud. All of a sudden, everybody’s there. :stuck_out_tongue:

I will fight you to the end of the Earth.

You’ll be fighting me too, for the reasons given by GargoyleWB.

Oh, and Mr. News Editor is a turd.

Even copyeditors mess up after thirty-six hours without sleep! :stuck_out_tongue: But I suppose it’s a corollary of Gaudere’s Law that any post mentioning proficiency in a field will contain errors in that field. :stuck_out_tongue:

Temple of Doom vs. Last Crusade is not up for debate. This is because if you prefer Temple of Doom, you are a whackadoodle, and I don’t debate with whackadoodles.

Could always make him go see Strunk and White The Musical

This reminds me of an interesting occurrence that happened during my junior year in college. Two seniors who were organizing an off-campus riverboat cruise/party (outside the college’s authority, as it was a dry campus) were mildly criticized by the school newspaper for some irregularities in their business practices. They fired off a one-page response that was filled with odd and incorrect usages, invented conjugations, and not a few grammatical cataclysms. The paper printed this without comment, and without corrections.

Some wag (not me, though I wish it was) marked up and commented on all of the mistakes (over 30!) and made many copies, which they posted on all of the bulletin boards around campus. The tagline:

In our modern American society, it is considered useful to have a working command of the English language.
ARE YOU GETTING THE SAME DIPLOMA THAT THE OTHER SENIORS ARE GETTING?

As an aside, not really. Enjoyment or preference does not necessarily imply quality. There are more than a handful of movies I know that are unadulterated caca, yet I prefer them to movies that I know are “better”. I also recognize that my preferences may well be defective. But I can live with that.

Is it the guy who dressed like Jayne? Whatever happened to him?

I’m sad to ehar abotu your college newspaper experience, but I’m even sadder to report that “real” life, to many degrees, is worse. Imagine that person getting paid more than you.

Holy friggin crap…anyone want to apply to be my copy editor?

I got newsboys for you, Tracy . . . I just finished up a gig of eight years as copy chief for a major national magazine . . . And all that stuff still goes on at that level.

I just applied for a copy editing job at the local newspaper.

I’m scared now.

I thought robots didn’t need sleep. :confused: You’re throwing my world into turmoil here.

Alas, Guy Dressed Like Jayne and I went our separate way when school started: he to Berkeley with a physics grant, I to Ashland with shelves full of Shakespeare. But our three-week-long love will live forever ensconced in my heart, because seriously, he was a good-looking geek guy dressed like Jayne.

Are they young and frisky?

This is why I could never be a copyeditor for anything more serious than fun and $60 an issue. I would punch someone in the face.

Now if you’ll excuse me, I’m going to go suck on an exhaust pipe.

So that’s why it’s gotten so crowded around here!

Sorry, Gaudere must be obeyed.