Dammit, Tip Your Pizza Delivery Person Good !!!!!!!

Oh, what is the norm? Minimum wage is $8 per hour and has been for years. My daughter will have to pay around 10 times that much per hour to get her car fixed when the next issue comes up.

The norm for slaves was $0 per hour. No reason to be outraged there?

The outrage in this thread is not about hourly rate. It’s about the very dependance on tips to cover significant vehicular expenses that are not covered by the employer. Pizza delivery people NEED tips to cover their expenses. If you don’t tip them they’ve just subsidized your meal right out of their wallets. And that would be like stealing candy from a baby. Its just as easy.

What the fuck? Why would you compare this situation to slaves? In a tipping thread, that’s almost as pathetic an argument as invoking the Nazis.

Pardon me for not knowing that your state has a minimum wage of $8. But since you don’t have a location listed for your name, how the fuck was I supposed to know?

Secondly, pizza delivery people don’t have to be paid minimum wage. The fact that your daughter is a bonus in the pizza business, not a reason to complain. If she (not you) is pissed about what she’s paid, she should find a new job.

I tip $2 for pizza delivery but I don’t really get all that much pizza delivered to my place. It’s weird that I live so close to a college campus but my choices of delivery are pretty much limited to Pizza Hut.

Marc

Then add the price of that service to the cost and pay your staff better. I’d much rather that than the whole fuzzy tips bollocks.

First, tell your daughter to be sure to let her boss know if she is asked to go to an area that makes her uncomfortable and second to be sure to make her money drops regularly. Avoid going into anyones house and keep her back to the door if she does. Also if any of the customers makes her uncomfortable, don’t hesitate to tell the manager. I had almost no problems at all, my purse was stolen from under the seat of my car while I was inside to get another delviery and a security guard was 10 feet away. Everything else was just an annoyance.

I delivered pizza for several years both part time and full time, it isn’t a real easy job. Some people have no idea they are supposed to tip and some are just jerks. I had people tell me “I can’t afford to tip you because I work for” the govenment, the school system, a college student etc. I always wanted to tell them that I couldn’t afford to have pizza delivered, that’s why I have this job. People tip like crap during rain but if it snows (at least here in the South) they are so greatful to just get the pizza they usually tip extra. I figure the rain is a problem becsue everybody calls when it is raining but they are annoyed at the delays, snow they are so greatful to get food they are generous. I was left standing in a downpour while the customer went to get the money because they didnt’ want me to drip on the new carpet and they didn’t have a porch. I also got stung by a wasp and the customer was like oh, sorry (and no tip)

I had women in slinky negligees who seemed quite disappointed that the pizza chick showed up and a couple of naked men as well. One guy told me every Sunday for years that he expected the delviery person to be male as he stood there in underwear. I managed to switch him to the anyone but Adhemar delivers if possible list after a few years because i complained. Unfortunately I was often the only delviery person some shifts and we either had refuse his business or I took the order. I made them tell him that a female would be showing up with his pasta.

Businesses tip the worst and usually parties suck too.

On the positive side, my hours were flexible, I enjoyed looking at other people houses and I usually averaged enough to double the minimum wage I was making. Twice minimum wage is not too shabby so maybe she needs to work more hours if she is going to have to pony up for the insurance etc.

There is so much failed comprehension in your post.

Given that you hold the norm for a particular occupation as a basis for a fair wage, I thought I would use the most dramatic example of a normal wage to allow you to see your error.

Exactly ! So don’t go spouting off conclusions when you don’t know the facts. Like for example, I don’t live in a state, I live in a province.

They do in my province

I was not complaining about her wage. I was complaining about customers not tipping.

Like I said, No one here is pissed about what she’s paid.

Slightly on topic tale:

I have a friend (sort of) who is really, shall we say, “frugal.”

My wife and I were visiting at her house one day, and we all decided to order a pizza. She (the friend) was going to write a check, and I was to hand her cash to pay for our part. I did hand her cash. I counted it out in front of her, and I told her very specifically that the extra money was to be given to the delivery person as a tip. I made sure to make a point of telling her this, because I knew from past conversations that she made it a policy not to tip delivery drivers. I was making sure she understood that I did not want change, that I wanted the money given to the driver.

She took all the money I gave her. And later on, the delivery guy arrived, and she went to the door and wrote him a check. I happened to be near enough to be able to read the check as she wrote it.

I watched as she wrote a check for—exactly the amount of the pizza, and no more.

And I spent the rest of the night just completely bemused by the fact that she was not even making a motion to hand me the tip money back.

Nope. She kept it.

And I know exactly why. She just could not bring herself to give the delivery guy the tip money. He just didn’t deserve it in her view. Yet, on the other hand, she would have been completely embarrassed to actually tell me about this and give me my money back. So she kept it to herself.

Actually, knowing her, she probably kept it in a separate compartment in her little money purse and gave it to her church as a donation the next Sunday.

Holy crap this was hilarious. And I confess I told our mutual friends about this–and no one even suspected that maybe I had misunderstood what had happened. Because we all know this is just exactly the kind of thing she would do.

Weird thing is, we don’t hate her. We still hang out! We just don’t deal with money around her is all. We sort of think of her as just… disabled… when it comes to that kind of thing.

-Kris

You get charged extra for delivery vs. pickup. There is a “delivery fee” of which the delivery person gets a certain amount.

If they don’t like the percentage of the delivery fee that they’re getting, then they need to renegotiate that with their employer or find a different job. Tipping on top of a delivery charge is double dipping.

Now if there was no extra fee for delivery, I’d be all in agreeance with tipping the delivery person.

Most chains do not give any of the delivery charge to the driver. Of the exceptions, most only give the driver a nominal amount.

Further, your argument that it would be “double dipping” to tip if a portion of the fee goes to the driver doesn’t work unless the portion of the fee that goes to the driver is as large as or larger than the amount you would tip.

Finally, the advice to “just get another job” often rings hollow. Circumstances differ, of course, but in many circumstances, changing jobs brings considerable expenses. These expenses may be worth undergoing in the long run, and yet at the same time, be practically impossible to afford in the short run.

-FrL-

Okay, so I’m his daughter, I just read this whole post… I’d just kind of like to say a few things.

1. I dont think it’s very dangerous because I don’t go into their house, and they don’t know it’s going to be a girl delivering their pizza, so it’s not like they’re targetting me.

2. An office job would suck, are you kidding me? You have to answer phones and sit on your ass all day, no fun.

3. I know how to defend myself, I have been in kickboxing for 4 years, and I carry a cell phone on me at all times, and when I need to I can scream bloody murder.

4. You can get kidnapped/raped/murdered walking down the road, should I not walk down the road because of the chance that might happen?

OH! here’s a trick, I carry my keys in my right hand with the biggest one pointed between my knuckes, if I have any trouble, someones losing an eye… haha

Thanks for all the input! I just wanted to say all that:)

Ya, it’s his daughter again, you’re cheap:) if you don’t want to tip, pick up your pizza!:open_mouth: The delivery charge is practically nothing its not $3.00 like my dad said its actually $2.50, and if I delivered your pizza I probably spent more then that on gas alone to get to your house, and you ask for exact change back? you’re an ass hole! I mean that in the nicest way possible:)

AND you try negotiating a different wage at a minimum wage job where the employer can find someone else to fill your spot in a week.

So basically, your father is bitching about something that doesn’t register with you in the slightest (as you didn’t even mention the subject of tipping)?

And to The Flying Dutchman: Dude, you are out of line. While I agree that appropriate tipping is important, you’re definitely freaking out over something that is not a big deal in the long run. Trying to convince people that tipping is mandoratory will get you no where (as it should).

And also, it is bad form to berate for not being clued in to things you have never mentioned. Everything I said was correct for the US and if I had known your location, I wouldn’t have said any of it. So do not get all high and mighty when you are in the wrong.

I’m with you on this. i don’t order in often, but when I do I tip very generously I think: 30%, 40% or so. I mean come on, you have someone who is willing to work, doing a job that can be shitty, helping put food in your mouth without you leaving your house. I actually admire these people. At least they’re out busting there ass rather than sitting on their asses whining and looking for handouts. Good for them.

On preview, I too think it is dangerous for a girl to do. You have some self-defense skills, great. Just don’t over estimate them.

Good luck and be careful.

I delivered pizza for several years in New England before emigrating, and while I obviously can’t speak for all pizza places, the institution of a delivery charge about a year or so before I left (circa 2004) was extremely unpopular with the drivers because many customers apparently held views similar to yours.

When I started working there, delivery was “free” (no delivery charge), and if you came in to pick up your pizza, you got a discount (approx. 10%). Then, in 2004, the carryout price became the “normal” price, and the delivery charge was introduced. The price differential remained approximately the same. When pressed by drivers to explain the change, the owner revealed her unscrupulous nature - the delivery charge was not subject to the 8% state meals tax, so the whole thing went in her pocket. :rolleyes:

In Bangkok, if I tip the Pizza-delivery guy more than 10 baht (about 30 US cents), the wife complains that I’m tipping too much. Really.

This isn’t an issue for us. The closest pizza place, all of maybe 7 miles away, won’t deliver here. Are delivery zones really that small? So I just place an on-line order and go there myself. Since the place is next to my grocery store, I can grab dessert or another critical item during the same trip.

But if I did get delivery, I’d tip well. Especially in light of gas prices.

Two jobs I’d never do are food delivery and gas station. They are the target of too many violent robberies in my opinion.

Don’t forget cab drivers…

Your daughter is learning an important lesson in running a business and her life: income must exceed the expenditure. She needs to do the maths precisely then go to her boss and give him or her an ultimatum: more delivery money, or deliveries to an area which tips vastly better, or she walks. And she should be prepared to walk.

Hmm, I though I posted to this thread earlier, but my post is not to be seen. Oh well.

Agreed. $8/hour is good money. That’s ~$27k/yr at 70h/week for 48 weeks/yr. Not bad. Not something I’d want to do forever, especially on a job that isn’t providing marketable skills for better pay in the future (unlike, say, I grad school stipend, which is about the same pay or a bit less.)
But there are costs involved in having any job. When adding up the costs of gas, insurance premium, irregular pay, car maintenance, and job danger, do they outweigh the benefits of pay and “not a boring office job”? If no, renegotiate or leave. The job is either worth it or it’s not. If others are lining up to fill your vacancy, then they’re either idiots or the costs impact them differently. It has no bearing on you.

Now I agree that people should tip. I certainly do (less for the place across the street that won’t let me carry out after certain hours than for the place a mile away), but it’s certainly not required. Many people will tip poorly or not at all. As noted, they’re already paying a service charge to have the pizza delivered. If this causes a de facto pay of less than $8/hour, then there are plenty of other jobs available that will pay the stated minimum wage of $8/hour. Maybe even a job that will provide skills or help with entrance to college!

The jobs is either worth it or it’s not.