Damn Horny Woodpeckers

I’m sitting outside with a cup of coffee, the Sunday paper and the Dope as the sun rises. There’s a woodpecker who has discovered that the metal flashing on a chimney 20 feet away from me (the downward slope puts its about level with me) is much louder than a wood tree.

So I have a Delta Blues Woodpecker, who’s transitioned from a wooden tree to a metal resonator tree :wink:

A quick Google suggests that this is mating behavior, and loudness is the big male show for woodpeckers. I suppose no different that a teenager driving by with a boomin’ system. Oy. Get off my chimney.

Ouch. One aspect of life in Los Angeles that I don’t much miss is having kids regularly drive past with gigawatt subwoofers that can be heard from the other side of the valley. Doing so at 4 am probably only enhances their self-perceived prestige. What these kids - like your big-beaked friend - really need is a little paternal guidance in the form of a gently-administered precision RPG strike. “I’m sorry, son, but this is for your own good.”

You can apply his attractive stripy feathers as festive ornaments on your new chimney.

I know this is a joke, but FYI, woodpeckers of all species are protected by the Migratory Bird Act, and harming them is prohibited.

Some suggested (legal) deterrents are listed here.

OP, woodpeckers are great subjects for photography! Now you know where he’ll be hanging out, get close and get clicking!

Check out the last posts in this thread. Located down a bit in this forum.

http://boards.straightdope.com/sdmb/showpost.php?p=20025718&postcount=456

:wink: :cool: :smiley:

Slap a stamp on his butt and send him over here! I love woodpeckers - even the ones who hammer on the gutters. And as araminty says, they’re lots of fun to photograph.

Damned gubmint always bannin’ us from a killin’ anything that’s good eatin’…