I have a woodpecker pounding on my aluminum siding, what do I do?

I have a woodpecker pounding on my aluminum siding, what do I do? I don’t even own a BB gun.

Just ignore it. He’s drumming to attract a mate, and should quit pretty soon now.
I remember the first time a woodpecker drummed on my Evap cooler - I thought someone was up on my roof firing a machine gun!

LOL I got a picture of Woody Woodpecker having a headache

Sorry this is funny

:slight_smile:

You sure it’s a woodpecker and not an aluminumpecker?

The latter sounds like some sort of prosthetic device Bender would use.

We have a concretepecker here. I just don’t know what that pecker is made of. :eek:

Oh, bite my shiny, metal :eek:
-RZ

OK, it finally stopped once darkness fell.

It better not come back tomorrow. (OK, if it does, I still don’t know how to get rid of it.)

LOL!! It’s ok Khadaji - it’s not going to peck it’s way into the house and steal your bits. Don’t worry. Put out some suet and that’ll keep him busy whilst attracting a mate, hell his mate would probably show up to the feeder.

It’s most likely one of Downey’s. Looking at your location, it’s more than likely a downy or a Northern Flicker. Have you seen either at your house?

If it’s damage to the aluminium you’re concerned about, it might be possible to set up a sounding post - maybe some kind of artificial hollow tree trunk - that he would prefer.

Ours like the aluminum spark arrrestor on top of the chimney. He gets to be the highest thing in the neighborhood & make LOTS of noise. Then he laughs & does it again.

Suunds like happy Nature to me.

Yet another example of the irrational things guys will do when they’re horny. . . .

Best idea I can come up with for depeckering your abode is to snag a neighborhood cat and rub it vigorusly over the spot where Woody likes to peck. Maybe the scent will coax the little pecker to find greener (and more cellulose) pastures. Note: the cat may not approve of this scheme.

Might be related to this guy.

Vandal with foot long pecker terrorizes small town!

First thing that popped into my head after reading this: Steely Dan (a dildo in Naked Lunch.)

In the mornings, there is a what I assume to be some kind of woodpecker who drums on the, er, large metal cylinder on top of the power pole thingee by my house. I was very proud of myself for figuring out that a) it had to be a woodpecker of some sorts, and b) he/she knew that no bugs were going to emerge, so it was probably trying to communicate. I was very please to hear a fainter drumming from farther away in response. Google advises me that it could be a Hairy Woodpecker or a Pileated Woodpecker.

I’m so glad you mentioned them, Phlosphr.

We have both outside our den these days.

The downeys are with us year round and are always a welcome sight.

The first time (years ago) we saw a northern flicker at the suet holder we got sooooooooo excited! Honest.

It’s such a beautiful, heart warming creature, and we hoped against hope that he and his mate would stay. But of course they didn’t. On the bright side, however, they keep coming back every year.

Every year about this time, we hear the rat-a-tats of flickers sitting on and hammering the tops of the street lights. The locals gather on the sidewalks, point, and chuckle. I always shrug and say, “Hey, it’s spring, that’s what they do, what do you expect?” And the looky-loos shake their heads, laughing with condescension at the stupid animals, slaves to their seasonal programming; then they climb into their convertibles, slip on their sunglasses, prop their elbows on the windowsill, and cruise off with their stereos thumping. :smiley:

I have a blue jay who thinks he’s a woodpecker. He is drilling a hole in the wooden part of an overhang on my house.

Yes, I’m sure it’s a blue jay. I didn’t know they did that.

The guy at the hardware store suggested putting a piece of reflective tape in or around the drilling area on the theory that the bird won’t like the reflection or be repelled by ti. Considering I had a cardinal last year who did attack his reflection in the window constantly, I’m not sure that will work.

I can not make my brain stop trying to find a way to read this as innuendo.

Stop it, brain, stop it. It won’t work this time.

-FrL-

Well he did not return today, which is a blessing. The noise was quite loud and reverberated through the house.