Damn prudish parents

Thanks, Sapphire Wolf, that clears things up.

I don’t understand what moral ground they have for not allowing a married couple to have sex in their house. I mean, unless they never had sex in the house either, and want it to be a “sex free zone”—I don’t get it.

I could understand them asking you to keep quiet and be private with your hot monkey sex, as to not incite the curiosity of the 12 year old brother (who might be wondering about what all the thump-thumping, whip lashing sounds and cowboy yipees :wink: were about, and ask embarrassing questions later), but to forbid it altogether? That’s odd.

You should have told him you were gonna stay up and play Parcheezi!!

Actually, the whole experience of my stepfather (Mr I-Know-Pagans-Worship-Satan-and-I’m-Against-Premarital-Sex-But-I-Want-Grandchildren-Immediately) asking about wedding night sex plans was too surreal for me to be my usual charming self.

I went to a Christian school. People who sent their kids there ranged from the mildly to the maniacally religious.

Once, two little kids, aged around eight, were caught kissing in the library. Not wild, passionate, Frenching, but just a sweet little peck on the lips. The parents were called, the kids given detention.

The little girl was, unfortunatley, somewhat of an ugly ducking. Her only beauty was her gorgeous, long, blond hair. She came to school the next day with a military-regulation “buzz cut.” Her parents, she said, had cut it all off to “advertise her shame.”

Freaking out about your kids and the opposite sex is cross-cultural, indeed.

Wow, all this makes me even more amazed about my MIL. One night back when Subgirl and I had just started dating (but had already been intimate), her mom insisted that I stay overnight because the weather was too bad for me to bike home. She set out a futon for me in the spare room, and then proceeded to take Subgirl’s futon from her room and put it next to mine!

We were both rather surprised, but took it as a sign of parental approval.

Don’t worry, yosemitebabe.

I don’t think they do.

My parents sleep in completely separate rooms. They had to have gotten together long enough to beget the twelve year old, but after that?

I don’t think so.

Staying at my mum’s house (in the country) for the first time with my new boyfriend (she’d met him only once before) was a bit of a shock to me. Not only did she automatically assume that we would be sharing a bed, she brought us in breakfast on a tray the next morning. I was prepared to be a bit more circumspect in our behaviour, but obviously it was unneccessary.

Oh, and that was over 20 years ago now. :smiley:

My girl and I talked about this. We are thinking of visiting her bio-dad in Pennsylvania.

We realized with a shock that he would probably tell us to go have sex, so at least someone in his house would be getting some.
He’s an odd duck. But I like him.

jeevmon, is your SO’s ethnicity something other than Indian? That may be what your parents are really objecting to.

jeevmon, I feel your pain (sort of). We’re Indian too. When I left for college (a whopping three hour’s drive away, since my parents wouldnn’t let me go all the way to NYC), I was informed, before having set foot on campus, that if I was to become preggers, I had to drop out and marry the guy.

I’m 2/3 of the way through my third year and I’ve yet to have a date. Score one for “effective” ethnic parenting, no? (Ahh, paranoia.)

Thanks for all the support, fellow Dopers. For reference, jeevgurl is Sicilian on her father’s side, and so doesn’t tend to let slights go easily. :smiley: (her words, not mine!)

So, I sent jeevmum and jeevdad an email after composing my thoughts as follows:

(In defense of email, it was the best way of coherently presenting my thoughts without constant interruption).

That seemed to have gotten a response, though mostly along the lines of “you misunderstood what we said” and “no, we really don’t think any less of jeevgurl.” Not “we’re sorry we disrespected you and your friends”, but hey, it would be too much to hope for that Indian parents might apologize to their children. :rolleyes:

Ah, the differences between different parental styles …

One fine summer evening when I was seventeen, my parents came back early from a street fair downtown. Seeing my girlfriend’s car parked in front of our house, they pondered for a moment, then …

Knocked.

On their own front door.

My girlfriend told me later that she was offended-“What did they think we were doing?” I gently pointed out that they probably thought we were doing something like what we’d been doing about twenty minutes before, at which time she would have been eternally grateful that they knocked and didn’t just come in. :smiley:

Still, they did have different expectations in the realm of public behavior. I got in trouble once for kissing her in the stands at a high-school basketball game. Go figure.

I thought that was the default response? :wink:

If you think you are pissed off now, just wait until your younger siblings are making wild monkey love on the table with their SO’s and your parents do nothing. You are the trailblazer. It is your duty to piss your parents off a bit. It’s an ebb and flo kind of battle. I blazed the trail for my family, you must now blaze the trail for yours.

My parents PAID for my brother and his SO to have their own hotel room on a family trip we took. My wife and I had to stay in a condo WITH THEM!

jeevmon, changing the discussion from your specific issue to a general issue, I have to wonder the reason for this prudishness in Indian culture. You would think that a country with a population of 1.1 billion (!!) wouldn’t be prudish. Looking at the ithihasas like the Mahabharata or Ramayana as well, from where the mass of Indians derive their attitudes of sanskar, we have the characters of Krishna, a “womaniser”, the character of Draupadi, who had to be “shared” by the five Pandavas and the element most familiar to Westerners, the Kama Sutra.

I would think that this prudishness is more-or-less a direct result of British Victorian rule in India. Since, India’s rid of the British, shouldn’t we be rid of their (prior)attitudes as well ?

Tell that to Sushma Swaraj and Asha Parekh.

Gyan9, when I was in Khajuraho, the guide made it a point to draw our attention to the style of clothing in the sculptures of the women… in particular, that the saris were worn draped lower on their hips, showing their navels. He then went on to say that once the Moghuls arrived, the Muslim attitudes about proper dress became dominant, and it was no longer considered decent to let one’s navel be in full view (among other things, I guess; at any rate, saris sure aren’t meant to show belly button piercings these days :stuck_out_tongue: ). Now, I don’t know offhand how historically accurate that is, but maybe some of the prudishness goes back further than the British?

Regardless of whose fault that prudishness is, though… jeevmon, be glad you’re not the daughter of conservative parents. Any “transgression” is so many times worse if done by a girl… yes, the old double standard is alive and well. :frowning:

The former Kristen309 and I were at her place one night watching a video. We were making out and… well, one thing led to another.

We forgot there was a vent that went up to her parents’ room, so they could basically hear everything.

Her parents came downstairs together, just narrowly avoiding catching me with my pants down (as it were). They acted like it was no big deal, but summoned Kristen into the kitchen. A few moments later, she came out very flushed, they each had a glass of water, and went to bed.

We continued silently. Her father is one of my favourite ex-girlfriend dads ever.

This has been Ace309, with the token “Y’all Be Trippin” post.

My parents were uncomfortable with my SO and I holding hands or kissing (and by kissing, I’m talking about a peck on the cheek, a granny kiss, not full-on tonsil-hockey) when we had been living together and been engaged for two years. We refrained from doing it, but over the years, it’s crept back in. We’ve now been married almost two years and I understand why my parents were uncomfortable with it. It highlighted their loveless marriage.

Assure your parents that you are not having sex with Jeevgurl. Vow that your relationship is pure and chest. Then, mention that you sate your libido by paying hijras. Ask ma and pa for a loan as you’re feeling especially randy this week. Ask if they know of a good attorney as your solicitation of hijras has gotten you in trouble with the cops.

Ah, the possibilities of teasing you for that. But I shall womanfully refrain.

Now, if anyone else…? :slight_smile: