I made a batch of chili on Saturday from my tried and true recipe, with a few minor variations. 2 days later it has fully developed and might just be the best I’ve ever made. If you want to try some, here is exactly what I did:
~1.5 lbs beef chuck shoulder cut into cubes
~1 lb boneless pork shoulder, cut into cubes
1 medium white onion, diced
6 cloves garlic, minced
Spice mix:
1 tbsp cumin
3 tbsp chile powder
1 tsp cayenne
Blend spices in a bowl and add a couple generous pinches to a bowl of flour for dredging the meat cubes. Reserve the rest of the flour/spice mix for thickening after cooking.
Dredge the meat in the flour mix and add to a skillet with the onion and garlic. When well browned, add to a slow cooker.
Mix remaining spice mix with warm water to a medium consistency (thinner than a paste, thicker than a slurry)
Add spice mix to slow cooker along with the following:
Fresh oregano, chopped finely (finely chopped cilantro is optional - it tastes like soap to me so I don’t use it)
Fresh scallions, chopped
1 small can chipotle peppers (including liquid)
1 large sweet pepper, diced
2 1.25 lb cans diced tomatoes, strained
Mix all ingredients well and set slow cooker on lowest setting
Mix 3 tbsp dark cocoa powder with warm water and stir in to slow cooker when fully dissolved.
Cook on lowest setting for several hours, stirring periodically. Add a few pinches of flour/spice mixture to thicken as needed.
Now I’m from Texas originally, so I have moral objections to putting beans in chili. But if you want beans I suggest heating a large can of pinto beans separately and combining in a bowl when serving. Mixing beans with the chili keeps the flavor from developing, and chili is always better after it has sat for a couple days.
This recipe will get you a mild to medium chili, with just a bit of after burn. It’s good for the normies. I like a bit more heat, so I mix in a splash of ghost pepper mango sauce at the bottom of my bowl. My ghost pepper sauce is also home made, but I will never do that again because it turned my kitchen into a hazmat site for a couple days. Luckily the jar I have in the fridge should last a while.