Dark and Deranged Classic Animation

The alcohol-induced Pink Elephants on Parade in Dumbo, and the psychedelic March of the Cards in Alice in Wonderland were supposedly inspired by chemical enhancements.

By the way, people who like this sort of thing might also be interested in The Twisted Tales of Felix the Cat, a 1990s update of the old cartoon character that tries to incorporate that old-fashioned weirdness… it sometimes has a sort of R. Crumb feel to it.

Oh, I forgot. I once found this classic Japanese cartoon. It’s dark, weird, and funny all at the same time.

Maybe someone who speaks Japanese can look in and tell me what they’re saying. There’s not much dialogue.

I’m freaked out by the fact the spider has only six legs. What did he do to lose the other two? :stuck_out_tongue:

I dunno, but thanks for putting it here. It’s like a dream. A dark, weird, funny dream. I love this stuff! These old cartoons were shown long ago in movie theaters before the main picture and not meant exclusively for children, at all. My mother says she remembers seeing an X-rated old cartoon at the movie theater looooong ago, a male character chasing a female character - and (mom whispered) “his you-know-what was stretched way out ahead of him trying to reach the girl!” :eek:

“Yes, it is true. I myself was addicted to Ex-lax and Feenamint.” [both Laxatives]

• Art Babbitt, Disney animator

Not very likely that drugs like LSD were on the menu then:

“EverReady’s Buried Treasure,” a mad little exercise put together by the Fleischer Studio just for fun. I saw it in an art theater in San Francisco, but it’s hard to believe it ever made it onto a mainstream theater screen! When and where did your mom see it?

It’s on YouTube: [noparse]- YouTube

There is an old Pluto cartoon where Pluto accidentally inhales a lot of insecticide and has a nightmare about going to hell (which is run by demon cats). It’s pretty messed up.

Does anyone remember one with some sort of anthropomorphic child dreaming of meeting a variety of horror-film characters? Just as they’re all about to coat him in wax (for some reason), he wakes up. I liked it at 5 or 6, though cartoon horror never actively frightened me.