Prompted by this recent article from Cracked, I’ve decided to post a thread dedicated to all the surprisingly dark and twisted cartoons from the Classic Era (1920’s to about 1960).
For the record, the cartoons mentioned and linked in the Cracked article are:
- “Swing, You Singers!” featuring Bimbo (Fleischer/Paramount)
- “Balloon Land” (Ub Iwerks)
- “Blue Cat Blues” featuring Tom & Jerry (MGM)
- “The Little Pest” featuring Scrappy (Charles Mintz/Columbia)
- “Bimbo’s Initiation” featuring Bimbo and Betty Boop (Fleischer/Paramount).
Of these, I’d seen three before (“Balloon Land”, “Blue Cat Blues”, and “Bimbo’s Initiation”). I was really surprised at “Swing, You Singers!” It made “Bimbo’s Iniation” look sane and sober in comparison.
Anyway, let’s discuss. What are your favorite wacked-out, surely-under-the-influence-of-controlled-substances cartoons from this era?