Dark chocolate or milk chocolate?

Dark. I eat four squares of Hershey’s Special Dark every day to wash down my lunch.

Dark. Though Cadbury Dairy Milk comes close (though this has lost its luster since Cadbury added a dark).

Dark, dark, dark!!!

No question. Dark and of good quality–Ghirardelli, Lindt, or even Dove (even though that’s a very different kind of chocolate.)

That’s not to say that milk chocolate, and even cheap milk chocolate, or chocolate-like objects (CLOs–think of sixlets) don’t have their place, or aren’t tasty at times. But I’ll take good dark chocolate any day.

Crud. Now I’m hungry.

Cadbury added a dark? We’ve had Bournville (Cadbury’s dark chocolate, not the area of Birmingham in which the Cadbury’s factory and Cadbury Land is situated) for as long as I can remember (20+years).

DARK!!!

Big fan of Dark Chocolate.

Kinda both, but if I had to choose, I would take the dark.

I like both Dark and Milk Chocolate. If I am going to eat chocolate by itself I prefer dark chocolate. If I eat it in a candy bar, depending on what it is, I prefer milk chocolate. White chocolate is the devil’s sperm. Blech. It’s vomity delicious.

It’s official!

As of January 1, 2004, white chocolate is not chocolate under an FDA ruling.

It is defined as a “semiplastic food …”
:smiley:

Angua, here in the U.S. Cadbury’s dark is new, and not very good, I’m afraid - but everyone I know who’s had Cadbury’s of any kind in both the UK and the US says the US version is vastly inferior. Doesn’t seem to matter which bar, they’re all worse - probably because they’re actually made by Hershey’s under license.

Anyway, I also prefer dark - old, el-cheapo Hershey’s Special is a favorite, and consistently tests well in Cook’s Illustrated. Valhrona is exquisit, wonderful berry hints. But a good milk chocolate is also nice, from time to time.

I likes it dark, but will eat milk chocolate. White is good for about two bites, then it gets too cloying. I must admit though, I’ve never had expensive chocolate of any kind, in case that matters.

Oddly enough, I like my coffee and tea with massive, coma-inducing amounts of sugar. Don’t like the pink bag stuff though–too saccharine.

Dark. Oh please God DARK!

Milk chocolate is only meant to be a carrier for peanut butter or nuts or some-such. A totally different craving.

And here in Montgomery, most chocolate is banned until mid-october on accout of heat. And now Ima gonna find me some dark chocolate syrup! (I didn’t know it existed!)

White “chocolate” is merely sweetened cocoa butter. blech

I’m not sure that you’ll get anywhere with the savoury/dark-sweet/milk connection. I go for savoury scents and flavors, but I prefer milk chocolate. I like dark as well, but often find it too bitter for me–I’m particularly sensitive to bitter flavors in all foods, not just chocolate, so perhaps that’s the reason.

Jomo Mojo, I found a couple of recipes for Aztec hot chocolate. The first seems closest to authentic, but rather unpalatable.

Recipe 1:

1 ounce unsweetened baking chocolate
1 teaspoon vanilla
2/3 cup boiling water
ground pepper or chilis to taste

Grate the chocolate into a bowl and cover it with a little of the boiling water. Mash the mixture into a paste. Add the remaining water and the vanilla and beat until frothy. Add a dash of ground chili pepper (be careful, the stuff can be potent when added to such a small volume). The chocolate won’t dissolve completely, so the resulting drink will be somewhat gritty.

Recipe 2 (This sounds rather better.):

2 cups boiling water
1 chili pepper
5 cups light cream or whole milk
1 vanilla bean
8 ounces bittersweet chocolate (in 1/4" pieces)
2 tablespoons honey

Split the chili pepper in half and remove the seeds (use gloves and don’t touch your face). Add pepper to boiling water over medium-high heat. Boil until only half the water (1 cup) remains. Remove the pepper, then strain the water and set it aside.

Split the vanilla bean and add it to the cream in a medium sauce pan. Cook over medium heat until bubbles begin to appear. Reduce heat to low and add chocolate and honey. Whisk occasionally until chocolate is melted. Turn off heat and remove vanilla bean. Add the pepper infusion a little at a time, to taste. Additional honey may be added to taste.

I suppose you could subtitute water for the cream if you were really adamant about not having dairy products in your chocolate. :slight_smile:

Ah. That explains a lot. I had Hershey’s once, and almost threw up.

Now, if you’d tried real Cadbury’s dark, then you’d be in 6th heaven. 7th heaven is attained only by Green and Back’s organic dark chocolate. :slight_smile:

I like milk chocolate much more than dark, but I will eat both. I love chocolate, hehe.

Riiight! Promises. That’s what they’re called. I can never remember, so I call them Bites, because they’re bite-size.

I don’t mind any of those inclusions, but I like to know about them in advance. I don’t like surprises in my chocolate. And, personally, I consider Kit Kat’s a cookie, not a candy bar, although I know I’m in a very small minority on this one. But, the Milky Way Dark/Midnight is surprisingly good.

Wow! Another non-coffee drinker, who doesn’t like white chocolate! If you hadn’t mentioned a boyfriend, I’d have asked you to marry me. :wink:

dark!

love dove dark… and there’s this evil coffee-dark truffley chocolate bar made by ritter sport. yummmmm

but, even though i don’t really like milk chocolate, i do admit to loving kinderbueno, which uses milk chocolate. but it’s just because it has hazelnutty goo!

hazelnutty goo mmmm…

Thanks for the recipes, Balance! I was hoping that modern technology would somehow come up with a way for us Darkistas to enjoy black hot chocolate, some way for the chocolate to be dissolved in nondairy liquid and also taste good. Still waiting, still hoping…

Samuel Pepys wrote in his diary, November 1664:

Was it milked up in those days? Probably it was; the milk fat allowed for better dissolution of the cacao. Doesn’t “Jocolatte” sound like some silly barista’s idea of a new trendy drink?

I googled around and found this:

Share this recipe with a friend
The Recipe Exchange
October 26, 2000
Aztec Hot Chocolate

2 cups water 
  1 tablespoon sugar 
  1 tablespoon honey 
  Pinch of ground ginger 
  2 whole cloves or dash of ground cloves 
  Few grains of red pepper or crushed red pepper (optional) 
  1/4 cup unsweetened cocoa 
  1 teaspoon vanilla extract 

In a small saucepan, combine water, sugar, honey, ginger, cloves and red pepper. Heat to boiling over medium-high heat. Reduce to medium and simmer 3 minutes. Remove from heat. With wire whisk, stir in cocoa and vanilla. Stir briskly until frothy. Strain into warm cups. Makes 2 to 3 servings. 
  Per serving: 70 calories; 1 g fat (0.5 g saturated fat; 12 percent calories from fat); 17 g carbohydrates; 0 mg cholesterol; 102 mg sodium; 66 mg calcium; 3 g fiber.

I’m gonna try it. Yum-yum.

Milk!

Sorry, dark is just too bitter and nasty tasting - I’m not even really tempted by dark chocolate. (Even if I’m on an eat anything binge, I have to think about it (sometimes it gets eaten). But usually, it kind of sits.)

I used to love the Hershey’s Symphony that had double the milk… it was creamy and delicious and wonderful (especially the kind with caramel… bliss).