Dark chocolate or milk chocolate?

For me, it has to be dark. Totally dark all the way.

Me too. Milk chocolate has grossed me out since the tragic Easter of '78. (Bad tummyache.)

Dark. I have a freezer full of dark Kit Kats.

Dark. Period. Don’t argue.

Preferably Lindt Extra Dark 70%, but of course any chocolate is good in a pinch.

Amateurs need milk.

Us professional chocoholics go dark.

It’s always cooler in the dark.

:smiley:

Yes or Villars 72%!

And how come you can’t get dark chocolate coconut cream Easter eggs on the West Coast?
Hershey’s Special Dark tastes like cardboard.

Well, someone’s gotta be the first…

Milk. I must be an amatuer.

And I even like (I’m bracing for an onslaught) white chocolate! Especially in cookies…mmmmm

Another amateur/milk chocolate dude coming through. Call me a wimp, but I don’t like dark nor do I like white.

Heh heh. Once you go dark, you’ll never go milk…or something like that.

:smiley:

Dark.

One thing I’ve observed, the less sugar there is in the chocolate, the more ‘chocolate’ taste there is. One of the things that bugs me about the chocolate in things like M&M’s or Kisses is that it tastes too ‘sugary’ for me. I can’t taste the chocolate because of all the damn sugar in it. Yes, stuff can be TOO sweet :eek:

That isn’t to say that I like baker’s chocolate. I found some of that in the freezer at home once, and got a nasty surprise after eating a square of it :eek: but the chocolate doesn’t have to be TOO sweet/milky.

White chocolate is frikkin wierd. Its like they added all the ingredients for chocolate minus the cocoa- there’s no substance to it when I taste it, just this empty creamy sweetness. Sorta like how a marshmallow (but not the same taste)

Dark.

Lindt on line has 85% chocolate dark.

Their mall stores evidently carry it as well. (I don’t do malls.)

White chocolate is not chocolate. It is OK for what it is, but it isn’t chocolate. Spousal equivalent refers to it as dried up floorwax.

Milk chocolate is Emergency Chocolate, for when dark cannot be found. Will prevent disaster, will not prevent continued search.

Dark.

Lindt on line has 85% chocolate dark.

Their mall stores evidently carry it as well. (I don’t do malls.)

White chocolate is not chocolate. It is OK for what it is, but it isn’t chocolate. Spousal equivalent refers to it as dried up floorwax.

Milk chocolate is Emergency Chocolate, for when dark cannot be found. Will prevent disaster, will not prevent continued search.

AAAACCCCKKK!!

The dreaded double-post…

Sorry

Wow, you Dopers impress me. Out of 13 votes so far, 11 for dark! I wasn’t expecting anywhere near that ratio. Maybe because milk chocolate is so ubiquitous it seems dark is shunned by everyone (except us angst-ridden arty types in black turtlenecks).*

I was in a Giant supermarket checkout line just now, waiting my turn, bored, idly scanning the candy. For years I had been used to seeing Dark Dove Bars alongside their Milk cousins, but now they were gone and only Milk Dove Bars remained. Because Americans are not supposed to like dark, you know? Only Siouxsie and the Banshees fans would eat Dark— not respectable citizens.**

Here all along I was the only Dark person I knew. You guys reassure me that I’m not alone.

Since I got this exclusive taste for Dark, I notice that Milk chocolate just doesn’t taste quite right. A bit rancid, actually. Dark has that totally crisp, sharp, clear taste of nothing but Chocolate.

Also I always drink my coffee black. A correlation there, do you suppose?

What Incubus said. Right on.

*Actually, I don’t own any black turtlenecks and I laugh at angst. It was just a jocular metaphor.

**I’m not a Siouxsie fan, it was a metaphor. I do dig Dead Can Dance, though.

I’m usually the one digging through the assortment for the Special Dark, but I can enjoy the entire chocolate rainbow. Just don’t put stupid stuff in it like rice or raisins.

White chocolate is not earwax, but neither is it “vanilla chips” or “confectionary bar”. Unfortunately, you can’t assume that something has cocoa butter in it just because it’s sold next to chocolate. The real stuff is good for an occasional treat. Dark chocolate is a meal.

Dark!!!

Dark all the way. I’ve been converted from milk to dark, seeing as dark has less sugar in it, and is supposedly very good for you as it contains iron. :slight_smile:

Now, if you want good dark chocolate - Green & Black’s organic is absolutely delicious. They do one called Mayan Gold, which is dark chocolate with orange oils and spices. Heaven. :drools::

The latest word is that dark is good for you because of its antioxidant properties. The same buzz that boosted green tea and blueberries.

Thanks for all the recommendations. I’m partial to ChocoLove 70% Cacao Dark. The only thing I haven’t successfully achieved yet is dark hot chocolate. To drink. If you can drink black coffee, why not black hot chocolate? I want to find out how to make the original Aztec recipe. With chili peppers (?) and everything.

Dark dark dark. 80 - 85% preferably, though I’ll do 70%.

A plug here for the best dark chocolate I’ve ever tasted - their 73% stuff is amazing.