Darn it! Gosh Dang it to Heck! Parental Poll.

I don’t swear a lot as it is, and I tried to tone things down even more when the kids were small. My husband was not nearly as diligent as I was, especially when he was angry, so they learned some choice words when they were pretty young.

When my son was about four I had to meet with the head of the day care about him saying “F****” on the playground (see, I still can’t even type it!). When asked where he learned it, he said he made it up :D. I didn’t really appreciate the language, but I thought his excuse was pretty cute.

These days, the kids have to watch their own language around me. I’ve heard both of them say things they’re not supposed to when they’re excited or angry, but at least I know they’re trying to control themselves. It’s a good thing to learn.

I swore around my kids when they were little with, as others have said, the understanding that these were adult words so not for them to use until older. Now they are adults, and if me and my daughters are sitting around the “bad” language flies. I swear around the grandbaby, too. I swear at work, I swear at home, I swear wherever I am*. If people take me for task for my profanity, I explain that I am rarely profane, but relish the opportunity to be vulgar.

My ex-FIL used to train all the grandkids to say “oh, shit!” and if possible he wanted it to be the first thing they said. Didn’t work with my girls, but not for lack of trying on his part.

*within limits–after all, I’m not going to drop the f bomb and your wedding or during a school conference. I am able to determine appropriate venues.

Originally from that bastion of clean language - NYC.

And it’s not like I live in Providence - I just fucking work here.

LOL!! :smiley:
Gotta Love it!

I try not to curse around my kids and I often fail. Especially while driving.

As I try not to curse, I often end up exclaiming, “Oh Fudge” or “Crap” when only around adults. This usually gets a question of, “Oh, you’ve got young kids?”

Nearly 20 years later, I am still overcoming 4 years in the Navy where every sentence had an F-bomb in it or at least a Jebus-H-C. It is a little sad that I slip as often as I do.

Jim