Dating: boys more likely to be victims of violence than girls

So sayeth a recent study by the University of British Columbia reported here.

Wow. I would never have guessed that.

Makes sense to me, if you presume that the larger percentage of people who date aren’t horrific assholes. Violence by women against men, if you define it such that a slap counts, is considered to be nowhere near as bad as men smacking women around. It’s not as bad when women do it, so they do it more often because not only can they get away with it, there’s not the impression that they shouldn’t be doing it.

Same as how the average person is more likely to have sped than to have killed somebody.

It is just as illegal and subject to civil or criminal action for a woman to slap a man as it is for a man to slap a woman. That does not mean the amount of damage and severity of violence by women committed against men is equivalent to the violence against women committed by men. The solution is to stop all of it.

From your quote, it doesn’t seem like they measured the severity of the assaults or the frequency. A young woman who reports 10 serious assaults would be counted the same aa a young man reporting one slap So, interesting perhaps, but not a real measure of all of the issues.

The fact that being “pushed” is counted as dating violence makes me question this - specifically, how much of a push does it have to be to have been counted. I’m a big huge male guy who could probably physically impose upon a woman without even realizing she was standing there. It wouldn’t surprise me if some women felt physically imposed upon by a guy who was trying to romance them and pushed him away - meeting a perceived physical imposition with a physical response.

Note that the report says “boys more likely to report being victims” not “boys more likely to be victims.” Part of the message being brought to light with the “Me Too” movement is that victims of sexual abuse (male and female) are often often scared to report abuse or don’t even realize what they experience is abuse. So unless abuse is reported there is no way to measure who is actually being victimized more.

That being said, nobody deserves to be abused by anyone, especially if they are in a relationship. And it’s very unfortunate that it happens at such young ages. It is nice to see that the numbers are trending down, at least - but once again that is still for REPORTED infractions.

A really important point when looking at formal and non-anonymous reporting methods like police reports. This was based on anonymous survey. That is generally the way researchers try to avoid underreporting problems on issues like sexual assault and domestic violence.

So a guy grabs a girl’s ass, she spins around and slaps him and the guy is a victim of violence?

And then there’sthis:

Shoving someone who persists in, say, trying to cop a feel after a loud, clear, “NO!” is much different than punching someone in order to gain control. Seems like an oddly vague study to me.

Sorry, but while I recognise the difference, I discount it. As the saying goes, if it’s not written down, it didn’t happen. We, the outside observer, can only go on the actual data presented.

That I would call self-defence. And the person shoved would in no way be a victim.

This report still has the problem that it quantifies dating violence instead of qualifying it. The number of incidents is going to be high for all gender mixes but we already know the most severe cases will be dominated by men as the aggressor.

I disagree. Before you can qualify something you have to quantify it.

Come on–you’re not going to get very far as a researcher if you don’t know the difference between data gathering and HR policy.

You can discount all you like, but so far, all this data says is that 1.6 % more boys self-report. With such a small number, your are, in fact, obligated to do a qualitative study to see if the difference is significant.

When the instances vary so greatly in quality then you have to qualify. Quantification alone is worthless, and in this case misleading.

Do you have any actual evidence for either statement?

Arguably, they both are. I would call it justified violence, but it might still get counted as violence.

Seems to me that if, when she turns around, he’s still there and she still considers him a threat, the slap is perfectly justified as self defense. She’s making sure he doesn’t do it again.

This is not a reasonable position.

Believe it or not, things actually happen whether or not someone records it.

No, first you have to qualify it in order to know what to quantify.

But if they’re not recorded we’ll never know if they happened or not.