Dating Sites.. Really???

I was involved in a discussion on Reddit about this very topic and that’s the exact pov that was expressed. One girl talked about how both she and her boyfriend had all kinds of outdoor activities listed on their profiles and now they spend most of their weekends together on the couch watching Netflix.

Sure there is.

Proof

Quite the devilish post there. (check your number of posts)

I’m 5’11" btw. I could lie about the one inch and say six foot, but why the hell would i?

I’m in favour of honesty and honest photos. But do you really need to call larger women “porkers”?

On match.com specifically, probably because their choices are stupid.

How I approach the choices:

Slender: Nope, I have never been described as slender.

About average: Ehhh… maybe. But then, as you say, the average person is overweight and nonathletic - which I am not.

Heavy set/A few extra pounds/Stocky: These three seperate choices are all synonyms for fat in my mind. Again, not me.

So I’m left with…

Athletic and toned: Yes, I’m athletic. I can do 10+ pull ups, run miles without stopping, and I play ice hockey multiple times each week. Am I toned in the sense you think of a Men’s Health cover model? No way.

So, I view my possible choices as skinny, fat, or athletic and toned. Athletic and toned is the closest option.

What happened to Greg’s dad?

All I know is I am having the time of my life online dating. I wish I had done this A LONG time ago. Fucking awesome. Yes, there are pitfalls but that’s why you do your homework.

I’m a porker, and I make sure that my profile pictures include several full-body views. I’ve always been honest about who I am/how I look, but these days at 43 I’m definitely too damn old to pretend to be something I’m not. No MySpace angles, etc. My main picture isn’t even the best one of me (as OKCupid loves to point out), but it’s the most recent and is definitely what I look like. If someone likes it enough to look at my profile, that’s a good start. I can’t stand the idea of someone meeting me without having a truthful idea of my size/shape. I even sometimes ask friends to look at my profile and tell me if they think the pictures are good representations.

The problem with the labels available on most sites is that curvy/heavyset/stocky/etc. all mean different things to different people. I haven’t looked at my OKC profile in a while but I’m pretty sure it says “overweight”: it’s both simple and true, and I’m glad that was an option. Whether I’m too overweight is left to the eye of the beholder.

You mean “…only become curvy…”

He got athletic and toned, took up para-sailing and ran off with his instructor. His wife was too much of a liar.

Apparently. That’s his schtick.

What’s most interesting is how they become a big, beautiful woman.

I thought that didn’t happen until after the divorce.

She has only herself to blame for that one. Don’t feel one bit bad for her.

Hey, I’m fat and 43 too! I don’t want to waste my time communicating with and then meeting someone who is definitely not going to be attracted to me when he finds out what I really look like. I have better things to do. If he looks at my full-body photo, thinks I’m too fat for his tastes, and moves on without messaging me, then great. I get the same result with absolutely zero effort on my part.

Exactly! I wonder if it’s mostly younger fat women who feel the need to lie/be coy about their appearance…?

Everything I write is a lie.