Dating tips for short guys?

Huh, I"m 4’2" and pump my own gas. And while I don’t have achondroplasia, I have seen people who did do so. I’m happy for the people that surgery works out for, but it is EXTREMELY controversial. (I have something nobody’s ever heard of, but my proportions are sort of opposite – my torso’s short, my arms and legs are longer.)

My mom was several inches taller than my dad – she’s 5’9", he was 5’5" or so. It is entirely possible for a woman to be attracted to a man shorter than she is or I wouldn’t be here.

I can’t say I’ve dated anybody shorter than me but I wouldn’t have a problem with it as long as I liked them. It’s just that I haven’t had much contact with men who are.

I was dating a guy shorter than me by a few inches when I was in high school; I was about 5’8" at the time. I was attracted to him because he was sweet, funny, smart, and had a great singing voice - these are qualities that I’d like in any guy. I had crushes on other shorter guys as well.

My opinion for what it’s worth is - be an interesting person who isn’t wrapped up in their height being a “problem” to be overcome.

Are you serious? At 5’4", in your 20s, you’d seriously consider two full years of excruciating pain so you could get more dates? Wouldn’t you rather be spending those two years… I dunno, getting dates, or something?

If absolutely no one will go on a date with you right now, it’s not your height that’s the problem. Trust me. You’re fixating on a quantifiable thing about yourself, but 100% guaranteed or your money back, it’s various *qualitative * things that are your problem, like maybe lacks of self-esteem and confidence.

Dress well (make sure you are wearing clothes that fit, not baggy clothes you are drowning in).

Take care of yourself physically, eat right, and stay healthy.

Cultivate interests that make you interesting to be around.

Stop focusing on your height, or any other insecurity you might have and just enjoy yourself when you are around people you’d like to date.

So basically, just be yourself. There are plenty of women (like myself) who actually prefer short guys. :wink:

I’m quite short (5’7’’) and very skinny. I have generally ended up with women who liked short skinny guys. They do exist, and although my wife is around the same height as me, many of my previous girlfriends were taller.

Best one-night date I had was with a girl who was about 6’2’’. I was kind of at breast height. See where I’m going with this? :smiley:

I’m going to chime in that I’m another woman who likes men about my height or shorter (I’m 5’6").

Some of the advantages:

Partners close in height are easier to dance with (both upright and horizontal :D)
I don’t have to adjust my computer chair or car seat after my sweetie has sat there.
Everyday things that I use aren’t usually placed out of my reach.
I don’t get a crick in my neck from looking up when holding a conversation with him.
Lastly, there’s just something about a man who has to look up to kiss me. :smiley:

Girls do like taller guys IMO, but you’re not screwed. Like others have said here, get more self-confidence, bulk up a bit, be yourself, and get out there. Don’t become bitter or fixate on your height.

The hottest guy I ever knew was 5’4". I’m 5’3".

His height wasn’t the problem. The fact that he was batshit crazy was the problem. Well, that and the fact that my best friend pointed out that he bore a striking resemblance to Bob’s Big Boy. That wasn’t too cool, but dammit! She was right!

Try not to look the women in the breasts. I know that’s hard, especially if they’re level with your eyes. :wink:

Yes, they do. You can talk to Ethan Hawke about it. Not only did he start scoring the babes, but it eventually got him into freaking space. Think about that one for awhile.

Wanna know what’s really sexy on a short guy?

Confidence.

I’d rather be with a short guy with spunk, a sense of humor, intelligence, respect for others, etc., etc. than a tall asshole.

Oh, that’s right, I married a short guy with spunk, a sense of humor, intelligence, respect for others, etc., etc. I didn’t specifically seek him out because of his height, but that’s just the package he came in. (He’s always thought he’d end up with a petite blonde for some reason, and he didn’t get that either.)

I’m 5’7" (so somewhat tall for a female) and he’s 5’6". One or the other of us might be “taller” at any given time depending on shoes, slouching, etc. But my arms are longer, so I’m the one who gets stuff off high shelves. On the other hand, sometimes his face isn’t too far away from the boobies. :smiley: I also like not having to crane my neck up to give him a smooch or to dance, and everything lines up just right for sex. (So what if my feet are hanging off the bed when I snuggle my head against his shoulder in the afterglow . . .) He’s not particularly muscular, in fact he’s fairly skinny . . . but he’s strong enough to have built most of our house with his own two hands.

Yeah, we joke about it. We’re constantly complaining about adjusting the car seat (my legs are long like my arms); he bitches that Wilt the Stilt was driving, and I bitch likewise about Dorf. All in good fun. One time we were walking back to the car and he decided to try playing keep-away with the keys by holding them up over his head. I just reached up and took them—and then we both laughed our asses off.

We took ballroom dancing lessons once, but it didn’t work; for that it really does work better if the guy is significantly taller. Oh well, we’re both klutzes anyway. I do sometimes wish he were wearing a tall hat in stores so I could pick him out among the shelves . . . but I can usually find him by the sound of his sneeze.

He’s pretty sure that other girls passed him over because he didn’t tower over them properly. Too bad for them, all right for me. They have no idea what a prince they passed over. (One of our good buds is even shorter, probably about 5’2" and very skinny, but he’s also a very cool and smart guy. His wife is about his size and they’re a great couple, very happy and fun.)

Mr. S called, BTW, while I was writing this, and he agreed 100%. If a girl’s interest in you is predicated on your height, you don’t want her.

QFT. I had a date with a guy I met on LavaLife a few years back. LL profile, he was 6’. In IM conversation, he said “5’10”. IRL, he was 5’6.

Be honest, and be secure in who you are.

I’m 5’8" ish (5’9" if I’m standing up really straight) and I’ve dated lots of guys around 5’4" or 5’5".

They were all quite lean - not huge and muscle bound - I hate that look. They were just hot and kind of wiry and without fail had big packages. I have no idea if I just met 10 guys under 5’6" with 8" wangs. Anyhow - really quite hot.

Be yourself, have a good sense of humour and don’t be afraid to approach women taller than you are. There are lots of tallish women who like a shorter guy - I used to be VERY thin and the shortness was sort of a nice fit - I don’t like to be intimidated by a man’s size. I’ve never been particularly into HUGE men (like 6’6", 300 lbs) - they’re just a touch scary. My SO is pretty tall, but in the past I’ve dated guys a foot shorter than him and been totally into them.

So, don’t sweat the height thing - there are lots of women who probably think you’re their dream date - just find them.

I’m going to buck the trend and say that I prefer guys taller than me. It’s not something conscious…I just do. Have I dated guys shorter than me? Yes. You can overcome that preference if I think you are otherwise awesome. I also like guys with facial hair, but it’s not a deal breaker.

Chemistry happens or it doesn’t. There’s nothing you can do to change that, so just move on.

I also vote that surgery is just vaguely creepy. And seems to indicate a fundamental lack of comfort with yourself. And that is never attractive.

Damn, you sound like someone I’d love to go out with, if I weren’t already partnered (and assuming that you’d go out with a 63-y.o. gay man). Believe me, my taste in men isn’t unique; you will find someone who’s attracted to you exactly the way you are.

Depends on what you’re doing. Of course, most dances are invented to work with a lead who’s five or six inches taller, but for some it’s a bigger problem than others. For swing or salsa it makes a big difference because you’re turning the girl under your arm and you (as the lead) don’t have to work so hard to get your hand higher than her head. On the other hand, something like waltz or tango can work better if the partners are closer in height. If the man has significantly longer legs, he can take long forward steps that his smaller partner may have trouble matching when she’s stepping backwards. If they’re closer in height, it can be a big help.

All that aside, it’s still not an insurmountable impediment even if the woman is taller. You just have to adjust your style.

Do I want to know why his sneezing is a common occurrence in a store? And how it differs from other people’s sneezes?

Other people don’t sneeze below her. :wink:

OK, I totally love this multi-quote thingy!!

I guess we just didn’t get that far in the class. :slight_smile:

He has allergies, so it’s not uncommon for him to sneeze in public. And after 20 years, you get to know the sound of a person’s sneeze, you know?

RNATB: :smiley: Actually, when I was telling him about this thread earlier and talking about how I just “stumbled” across him, he said, “Or tripped over.” :D:D:D

I’m almost 5’9" and my favorite ex-boyfriend is 5’5". He never behaved as if it mattered and encouraged me to be as visable as possible when we’d go out—high-heels and shorts skirts. It made me feel like he was proud to be seen with me. I’ll always love him for that and I never disregard shorter men as potential dates.