David Letterman 3/31 and the geography girl

Umm… maybe it is not nice for me to bring this up, but did anyone catch Letterman kind of leching after that little girl on the March 31st episode? At least, that was what seemed to me to be happening.

A cringeworthy moment, to say the least.

-DaHa

I noticed that too. When the little girl first came out, she was kind of nervous and, like most 4 year old’s on TV, wasn’t making for great conversation, so he had to do something. She is a cute little kid, which is all I think Letterman was saying, but I do think it came across as kind of creepy. Maybe some different word choices wouldn’t have seemed so bad. I think part of it might have been that he kind of complimented her twice, which is why you and I noticed it. When she came out he said something, then when the conversation wasn’t going anywhere he said something again. It just came across as weird, and I definitely don’t think it was intentional on Dave’s part.

So Dave has a thing for 4-year-old girls? Hardly! Dave goes for cute little puppy dogs with stupid tricks. :smiley:

I don’t think it was intentional either. But it was awfully wierd coming right after the “wanna see mine?” joke…

-FrL-

I didn’t see the show in question, but I’ve noticed that Dave doesn’t do well with kids - he always seems a little uncomfortable. He may have even mentioned that one time.

I would chalk any perceived wierdness up to that.

-mdf

Not good with kids seems to be on the mark. He’s like Picard on TNG.

I saw the show and he didn’t come off as creepy to me. Just not good with kids.
WYOMING!

Maybe his new experiences with young Master Harry will help overcome that discomfort.

I didn’t see the show in question, but I’ve been watching Letterman for almost 20 years now and I’ve always thought he was great with kids, particularly grammar school aged tykes.

Watched the tape this evening. I have no idea what people are complaining about. The kid just wasn’t “clicking” and so Dave was having a difficult time, but nothing weird that I could tell.

She shouldn’t have been on. An “X year old Y whiz kid” always tanks. Didn’t anyone see the Larry Sanders Show about this?

My complaint is that Dave never really tested her geography smarts. India and China? Come on! She was billed as having expert recall of world capitals and Dave never asked her any. He managed to insult the intelligence of a 4-year old.
Lesson: when you’re that pretty who cares what you know.

Didn’t catch that show, but I was under the impression that Dave is more comfortable with self-confident, outgoing, adult women like… Drew Barrymore and Courtney Love. :rolleyes:

Patrick Stewart noted in an interview that Picard, for someone who insists that he isn’t good with children, actually does quite well with them. And I can’t remember a time when Picard really did poorly with a child. It’s like the writers included this characterization in the pilot and then decided to forget all about it.