DC/MD/VA Dopers: Labor Day Weekend cookout at RT's!

Still working on my mother. I’m using the debating skills I learned here, and if nothing else I’m wearing her down:D

Here’s the problem: I am still too scared to drive on the Interstates at nights. I need someone sitting next to me and yelling out “Dont change lanes now!!” “You are overspeeding; slow down” etc. One of my friends in Hopkins has agreed to play that part. So, if you guys can handle two more guests, count us in.
Thanks.

I’m coming. (Lurkers post! Maybes change to a definite yes!) RT, e-mail me directions, wouldja?

That’s cool. I’ll see about that next time deal, RTF.

There’s one good thing I’ve negotiated out of this. I want to take my drivers test after Labour Day, so basically on the way back I get to drive home (starting from Bristol, VA up I-81 and I-66). I’ve been practicing on the freeways here for the past several weeks (and I’m still alive, praise the lord!) Dad’s probably doing this so we don’t have to take a long break in Knoxville as is on the way down, but driving is driving. (I’m gonna get my license!) As long as you don’t hear anything about a blue-green Saturn ('93) getting into a accident in Shenadoah, I’m OK.

Anyway, we should be leaving tonight, but the cable company has thrown some complications our way. Today they decided to upgrade our neighborhood for digital cable and internet. So in addition to packing and stuff, I have to negotiate with our cable company to pay for 20 channels we want, 200 we don’t and faster internet. We can trade the cable stuff today, but we have to get our computer prepped for cable.

Y’all have fun at RT’s place.

–Ster

Move me to the Yes column. I’ll see if Sqrl wants to come too.

Wow, this is really picking up steam! Guess I’d better buy more beer. :slight_smile:

And y’all be thinking about what side-dishes, etc. you want to bring.

iampunha - why don’t you just bring your mom along? phantomdiver would be most welcome. Tell her your host is in his late 40s, so it’s not like she’ll be hangin’ around with a bunch of youngsters. :slight_smile:

Dave and Sara - I’ll email you both directions tomorrow morning.

ramesh: sure - if your friends can stand weird online denizens, bring 'em along!

Besides those I already know about, I mean – PLD and Peta, and the OpalClan (and Montfort if he and Anniz are ambulatory by Monday :)).

Any of the rest of you eschew animal protein? I’m lousy at keeping track of such things, and I want to make sure I have enough veggie-burgers.

I’ve been trying to get her to a dopefest since last September. She doesn’t like large gatherings or parties. So then I try to explain to her that this is not your typical party.

She is SUCH a dork. And otherwise icky because if I don’t clean out the basement before I leave, I don’t get the car.

My parents are hiring professional cleaners to clean out the basement. Yeah. Guess how easy it’d be for me.

I do, however, have my bicycle. I’m actually decently fast on it, and Metro allows 'em on its cars. So I’ll probably (unless she changes her mind) need directions from whatever metro stop’s closest to your place.

Ten miles, FWIW, takes me about an hour, probably a bit less if it isn’t stop-and-go traffic with really annoying hills and lights.

Pat, if you need a ride, just give me a call.

RTFirefly writes:

> Tell her your host is in his late 40s, so it’s not like
> she’ll be hangin’ around with a bunch of youngsters.

In fact, aren’t RT and I older than iampunha’s mother?

> Any of the rest of you eschew animal protein? I’m lousy
> at keeping track of such things, and I want to make sure
> I have enough veggie-burgers.

I’m not a vegetarian, but I like veggie-burgers, so don’t feel bad about buying a few extra ones.

Patrick - You don’t want to ride out here. I’m 23 miles from the Beltway, and probably a few miles further from the nearest Metro stops (Suitland, Branch Ave). The direct route from that area to my house is what I would consider dangerous for bicycles. Please get a ride.

Updating the list again:

Labor Day Cookout at RT’s, 3pm - ? Monday 9/3

Definites:

RTFirefly and Mrs. F.
iampunha
PLD and Peta
Geobabe
the OpalDude clan
Spritle & family
Wendell Wagner
gobear
dcnewsman
ramesh and friend

Maybe’s:

Lucretia and Bluesman
ultress
Sofa King
Captain Amazing
SqrlCub
Nacho4Sara

All you maybes: the forecast is for beautiful weather - sunny and high of only 80. Should be a great day for a picnic!

Dave and Sara - I just now sent you directions. Anyone else coming (or thinking about it) that I haven’t sent 'em to? Gimme a holler!

So, you e-maild me directioons, but I didin’t make the list. What am I, a suprise guest? :wink:

Dat speeling wuz wurse dan yousal.

Huh? What? Did I leave someone off?

Labor Day Cookout at RT’s, 3pm - ? Monday 9/3

Definites:

RTFirefly and Mrs. F.
iampunha
PLD and Peta
Geobabe
the OpalDude clan
Spritle & family
Wendell Wagner
gobear
dcnewsman
ramesh and friend
Weirddave

Maybe’s:

Lucretia and Bluesman
ultress
Sofa King
Captain Amazing
SqrlCub
Nacho4Sara

Been outside lately? Tomorrow’s supposed to be a carbon copy of today. :slight_smile:

Paging (calling) Geobabe . . . Geobabe, please check your messages.

[sub]And email.[/sub]

23 miles, though doable, would not have been fun. Especially not when advised by a fellow biker not to bike.

Oh. Before I forget (again): RT, is there anything you wouldn’t mind guests bringing in the way of food or small farm animals (capybara, anyone?) or surprised dopers?[sub]Hehehe…[/sub]

Food of just about any sort is welcome - as long as it’s not squid flakes. (Long story; ask me tomorrow.)

Surprised Dopers…sure. (Gonna kidnap your mom? Cool! :slight_smile: (j/k, phantomdiver!))

Small farm animals are absolutely out, though, as we already have mani interesting furry animals, even if none of them is the majestic møøse. :wink:

Definites:

RTFirefly and Mrs. F.
iampunha
PLD and Peta
Geobabe
the OpalDude clan
Spritle & family
Wendell Wagner
gobear
dcnewsman
ramesh and friend
Weirddave

Maybe’s:

Lucretia and Bluesman
ultress
Sofa King
Captain Amazing
SqrlCub
Nacho4Sara
gobear’s SO
Mike Masterson

Though it grieves us muchly, we are not able to attend this soiree. Lucretia started school last week, and we were waiting to see what kind of homework load she would have this weekend, and it turns out she can’t in good conscience go out and cavort with dopers today.

We are looking forward to seeing all you reprobates at the Halloween dopefest, or sooner if another fest we can attend materializes before then. Have fun!!

No Lucretia! No Bluesman! :(! I guess somebody else will have to grope me. Any volunteers?

[sup]I will not post to this thread I will not post to this thread I will not post to this thread[/sup]

I can think of several dopers near your age (and several not) who would be more than willing to take the place of Bluesman and/or Lucretia in that respect.