De-greasing fried chicken (and other fried foods,) how common is that?

With fried chicken, the way it works is that you wrap the fried chicken pieces in absorbent paper towels, then you microwave it and apply hand pressure after. This removes about 80 to 90% of the fried oil. The end result is 90% of the taste, with only 10% of the fat.

How common is this? Is this blasphemy? It works for short rib steaks which are very fattening.

I’ll have you know that I am reporting this thread to the moderation staff!
(Because I think it stands a better chance in another forum. :D)

I do that, when I microwave the stuff. It’s great eating when I first get it, but later the leftovers get this treatment. :cool:

While BBQ chicken is great, I think this is better suited to Cafe Society than the Pit, where it was posted.:wink:

Colibri

Who told you this and how certain are you that this is in fact what’s going on? Seems to me, there would be no way to tell by simply looking at the paper towel, what’s fat and what’s water.

I do that to pizza.

What the hell is “leftover fried chicken”? :confused:

What does barbecued chicken have to do with fried chicken?

They have as much to do with each other as a holiday’s crown roast of pork, slow-cooked spare ribs, and panfried po’k chops.

Also, MY panfried chicken is NEVER greasy.

Mail six box tops and two quarters to Ukulele Ike, care of this website, for my secrets!

If it’s greasy, are you sure the oil temperature isn’t too low, or that you’re not overcrowding the pan, or overcooking the chicken?

Microwaving fried chicken tends to remove all of the crispiness, in my experience, because the steam loosens the coating and makes it soggy.

That was my first question.

Then I realized they don’t know how to make fried chicken.

Wait a few hours after blotting. The water will evaporate while the oil remains. It will probably wick and spread so the difference in weight of the napkin before and after should give the a figure for the residual fat. I’d guess it’s negligible, well under a few grams.

Unless you have some weird definition for greasy, your chicken is covered in oil. Leave a piece on a piece of newspaper or, if you really feel confident, one of your dress shirts. A thing fried in fat has fat on it.

Winner winner, chicken…

Well, you get it.

I tend to overbuy when I do buy it. An entire Colonel Sander’s bucket is a bit much for me to finish in one sitting.

My fried chicken is not covered in oil. Some small amount is absorbed in the breading. Some small amount remains on the surface and when I put it down on paper towels that gets absorbed there.

Pro tip: Forget the microwave. To reheat something meant to be crispy (like fried chicken), pop it in an air-fryer on high for a couple minutes. The crispiness returns like it was just fried.

Reheating cold fried chicken? Who does that?

Yes, it should be reasonably dry when it comes out of the cooking oil, unless your cooking oil wasn’t hot enough. I put it over a wire rack, let whatever residual oil there is drip, but it doesn’t come out in any way what I would call “covered in oil” and not something that requires blotting with a paper towel, for sure.

The rack works very well in a warm oven so any remaining grease will stay fluid and drip off. And of course you’ll shake off excess as you remove pieces from the pan also.

Set a piece of fried chicken, drained any way you like, on your finest white dress shirt. I mean, don’t really do that because it’s certain to leave an oily stain. It leaves the stain because chicken fried in oil is covered in oil. Perhaps not dripping but covered.