Dead Island Trailer

I honestly know very, very little about this game. According to Wikipedia it’s a 1st person, RPGish, sandbox game with zombies.

What I do know is I was entertained by its trailer.

wow!

This is a terrible trailer. Decent short film though.

Sweet! Looking forward to playing this!
Great job on the trailer.

For games there are usually two trailers: the theatrical one and the gameplay one. I expect the gameplay trailer to be released shortly.

I think the trailer is poorly made, shamelessly manipulative, transparently superficial, and completely meaningless. I am ashamed for the people who are falling for this embarrassing joke.

er…
I just thought I’d wait to see actual gameplay before coming to a conclusion. But whatever works for you.

And what meaning were you hoping to get from a zombie game trailer? If you’re looking for depth from a 3 minute video game trailer on youtube you’re looking in the wrong place.

Personally I enjoyed it. Didn’t really make me want to buy the game though.

But many in the gaming community have been praising the trailer for its “depth” and moving imagery. Frankly, I’m tired of games pretending their movies in their trailers. They are not, at all, indicative of gameplay. And in this case, using the death of a young girl to make an emotional bond with a product is rather disgusting.

With all that said, I do like the trailer itself, I just hate what it represents and the context in which its placed.

(Also, I think the trailer has some missed potential. The child should have looked like she was sleeping instead of clearly dead, with her fate not being revealed until the rewind. In addition, I would have played up the scene where she is holding onto her father’s back. It should appear she’s having a good time getting a piggyback ride until the true terror is revealed when the camera pans to the zombies. But what do I know?)

I don’t want meaning. I want people to enjoy things that have artistic integrity, and dismiss things that have none. I am annoyed people are falling for something that I can see is clearly junk.

They haven’t put any more thought into this trailer than to say “Lets cut the trailer in half, play one half forward, the other half backward and in slow motion, and then splice them together randomly.” That’s mechanical trite nonsense.

The shots don’t match together in any meaningful way, the cuts don’t fit the music, the need to reverse it does nothing to improve or enlighten the story (what there is of it), it probably doesn’t reflect gameplay, and they used the death of a child for shameless manipulation. It’s horribly done, very deliberately, to make shallow people get excited; it saddens me that it has worked when most consumers ought to be above that.

And worse, this may be the future of advertising. :frowning:

I’m probably overstating things. I’ve just seen this same behaviour too often lately (people enjoying things they should have the intelligence to recognise are woeful) and it’s really getting under my skin.

As an official shallow consumer, count me excited. I loves me some zombie children action! Hadn’t heard of this game yet, and Dead Rising 2 is quickly getting old.

I wouldn’t gush about this thing, but I think it’s well done for a cgi sequence with a zombie theme.. I mean, think about visual works themed around zombies, esp. short cgi based ones, and this one is fairly high up there in several ways.

The “rewind” effect isn’t arbitrary. Think of the way that it ends–with a hopeful look on the dad and daughter’s faces as they reach for each other. That was actually the beginning of a horrific episode, but as portrayed it partakes of the imagery of a happy ending; which is exactly what we’re supposed to understand the pair were hoping they were experiencing at the time. Putting the beginning at the end like this is a pretty decent way to pull off that kind of empathy in the viewer, IMO.

As for forming an emotional bond with the product, I agree it would be silly to do that. I do think it’s odd to think “I like this trailer, it made me feel something, therefore I shall buy the game.” And I can’t deny I’ve seen people say explicitly that. I agree that’s odd, and maybe a little unthinking. But I’ve been in the habit for a long time of regarding pieces like this as works in their own right. The purpose of the piece can’t be ignored, but I don’t have to assume that by relating to the piece, I thereby relate in the same way to its corporate creator.

I have no intention of buying the game, for example. Not my kind of game.

I think the music did match up (though I disagree that it needed to!). As the girl is flying through the glass, the music swells in a way that seems to evoke the same happiness the dad and daughter seem for a moment to be experiencing–it looks, for a moment, like they’re having fun. This may seem odd considering what you’ve just seen a moment before, but since it’s clear the story is being told backward (again, the backward telling serves a purpose!) you’re prepared to accept it–just for a moment, though, til you realize your hopes are dashed–just as the characters’ hopes have been dashed.

Like the game Braid, the manipulation of time isn’t just a gimmick–it’s a way to manipulate and betray our empathetic hopes through a treacherously backward portrayal of the characters’ hopes. I won’t call the effect “devestating”–the thing’s not that good by a long shot–but it goes some significant distance in that directio.

If I were in marketing, and somebody suggested that we let the audience not know the little girl’s fate until the end, I would have grabbed a hard, blunt, object and begun beating that fool the death. Yes, it’s a gruesome genre. But were trying to sell people on the game, not horrify them so badly that they immediately burn down our studios.

Are you saying it would have been a mistake to make a video like that, or are you saying the video is like that?

I assume the former, but I’m not certain for some reason.

I guess that depends if you watch the backwards or forwards version of it. :wink:

:confused: The former,of course. I was responding to the suggestion thatr it would have been more powerful or moving or just “better” had they left it ambiguous until the end. IN a sense, that’s right: it would have been a big “punch”.

I was saying it’s too much. This is a damn ugly (in the artistic sense) trailer as it is, and it already waaaaay pushes the bounds of what’s respectable. We humans have a big inborn sense to protect the young, and in this culture little girls are automatically seen as “more pure” than little boys.

So my comment goes as far as saying the suggestion was overboard. The point is to interest people in “avenging the dead and ending the horrors of… Dead Island!”, not to make them walk away in disgust. Hell, I’d be pissed if it even went into a movie: Red Barchetta would turn out a very artsy but groddily unpleasant flick.

Well, it’d be a trailer, not a flick. I don’t think it would be any “uglier”–I don’t feel opening with a dead girl is any better.

Wow, what an unpleasant, cynical, mean-spirited post. Did someone shit in your cornflakes the day you typed that?

I loved the trailer and am looking forward to more.

It’s part of the “grumpy old man” phase I’m currently going through.

Fair enough.

Personally speaking, I enjoyed it. I’m sure it will have little to nothing to do with actual gameplay and represents no portion of the finished product. That said, I still really liked it. The concept was interesting if not original for a zombie video game. It had an actual story and elements of tragedy. Compared to nearly every other video games commerical approach of "WOOO LOOK AT THAT STUFF BLOW UP!! YOU LIKE GUNS? CAUSE WE GOTS LOTS OF GUNS! LOOK AT THE EXPLOSIONS WOOOOO!!! that is the present of video game advertising, I’ll take this any day of the week.

Is the game any good? Who knows? I personally think that this game will be somewhere in between Dead Rising/ Left 4 Dead in approach and probably lesser in quality. Happens all the time.

That said, the company actually did something a bit more cinematic in the commerical and I liked it. If that makes me shallow or less intelligent, I can live with that.