Dead skunk in the middle of the road! I one it.

Not sure which forum this belongs in, so . . . here it is.

Has anyone else heard this kid’s joke, for lack of a better word?

First child says “Dead skunk in the middle of the road! I one it.”
Second child says “I two it.”
First child says “I three it.”
Second child says, surprisingly, “I four it.”
First child says, in-inexplicably, “I five it.”
Second child says, predictably, “I six it.”
First child, setting the second child up, says “I seven it.”
The second child then says “I eight it.” And many groans are had.

As an alternative, the second child may say “I jumped over it, and you eight it.”

My wife, who grew up in Florida, had heard this. I grew up in Wyoming, and my brother and I would say it ad nauseum.

Anyone else ever heard this little ditty?

Yep. For kids in more urbanized areas there’s also a variant involving a sandbox.

I never heard it before 2 years ago, that’s when my kids started saying it in the car.

I thought it was cute.

I remember hearing it when I was a kid, in the 80’s.

I heard it as a kid in the 70s in Southwest Arkansas.

I think I remember Bert & Ernie doing that on Sesame Street, back in the early 80’s.

I’m pretty sure Bert ended up eating the sandbox, given the way their exchanges usually went. :slight_smile:

How’s that one go?

It’s even older than that. I grew up in the '70s and heard it when I was a wee skywatcher.

Yep, Bert always fell for that one as well as 10-Q.

Absolutely - did this all the time (growing up early 80s). Went into absolute fits of giggles getting people to eat various and sundry items. Sometimes, I’d feel nice, and I’d 1 a sandwich. Annoyed my bro and sis after a while.

I remember it from Bert and Ernie, too.

Still curious, what is the sandbox variant? Do you 1 a sandbox?

Sometimes, when my brother would start this, I would decide that “I one it” sounded enough like “I want it” to allow him to have the dead skunk. “Go ahead,” I’d say. “You can have it.” And there was much shoulder-punching.

Ope, had thought this was a mispelled title (one = own.) There is a song titled, Dead Skunk in the Middle of the Road. Fun fun.

Goes back at least 40 years, I remember it. Some variations were to have something good like a bowl of ice cream as the subject, then let the other kid start off, leaving I eight it for yourself.

And let us not forget Loudon Wainwright III’s “Dead Skunk”. Eh, maybe we should forget it.