Deadwood 3/20

So – how much better is 21st century medicine than 19th? Yikes.

Gotta tell you, I’d take the bundling board out of the bed for Timothy Olyphant. Yes, indeed.

HOLY CRAP!!! I actually felt sorry for Al. :eek: :eek: :eek:

I’ll second rolandgunslinger, though I do have to say I was laughing as Al’s screams mesmerized the camp.

I loved the conversation between Trixie and Jane.

Wasn’t that great? Jane looking at Trixie like she’s a loudmouthed drunk. :slight_smile:

Many chuckles and some guffaws this week. It was kinda like a breather. We all needed that.

Is the gist of the Mr. W. thing that he’s there to spread a rumor so that his co-conspirators can get others to sell out their claims?

I wasn’t 100% clear on that either. Anyone?

Speaking of Mr. W, I started another thread on him and the actor who plays him, but maybe it’d be better discussed in this one. Let me know, 'cause I am curious.

I still haven’t uncrossed my legs. Poor Doc looked almost as miserable as Al did. It was a tough job being a physician without modern anasthetics.

As usual, the episode was filled with great dialogue. I loved EB’s speech in reaction to finding out who “Mr. W.” worked for. He didn’t miss a beat shifting from smug to obsequious.

Speaking of Mr. W- he seems even creepier than Cy, which is no easy feat. Al is a kindly old patriarch compared to these guys.

And speaking of Al, I think it was intriguing to see the way the camp reacted to his illness and illustrates the love-hate relationship he has with the people of Deadwood. Badass though he may be, he’s also a strange kind of father figure and no one can imagine the town without him. Their concern for him seemed genuine (Dan and Trixie especially) and it was clear that a lot of the town would be lost without him.

The exchange between Jane and Trixie was great and Jane was a little more sober and sane this episode.

I thought the exchange between Sol and Trixie was revealing. Trixie’s offer to pay Sol in sex for teaching her accounting seemed to me to be her way of asking for a relationship and she saw his refusal as a personal rejection.

What got up Alama’s skirt…actually, I guess the problem is what’s not getting up her skirt anymore, namely the sheriff.

Seth had a low key presense this episode but some nice moments of attempted bonding with his adopted wife and son.

One more thing…can someone explain to me exactly what the hell Maddie and Joanie are scheming to do with Walcott. I must be dense or something because I couldn’t seem to follow it.

Al’s screams will haunt my dreams tonight.

I dunno what they’re planning, but Wolcott definitely seems like a sociopath. What’s with the non-touching thing?

And was it my imagination or did the air kind of sizzle when Alma and Seth exchanged glances? Wowza.

Looks like it. Milch said in the Making Deadwood Season 2 special that the placer mining (scooping it out of the creeks) was pretty much over with by this time, and that Hearst’s representative was coming to town for just that purpose – to buy up claims.

Guess he doesn’t care about spoilers, does he? :stuck_out_tongue:

As for Dillahunt/McCall/Wolcott, Milch worked on Hill Street Blues when Dennis Franz played two different characters. Maybe Dillahunt impressed him so much, Milch just wanted to give him some more work.

Milch talked about this too, in the Making of Deadwood 2 special that was on last week. He said women don’t always “survive Wolcott’s affection.”

My guess – and even though it’s speculation, I guess I should spoiler box it is Maddie knows that the special whore will end up dead, and she’ll blackmail Wolcott

Man, that Maddie is one cold bitch. The way she casually suggested that whore might end up in a pine box, without any feeling at all, was spooky. I can’t imagine Joanie would allow that to happen, though. She is not the sociopath that some of the others are.

A Maddie-Joanie showdown would be great.

I have a feeling that Milch has things planned that will make last season’s Miles and Flora bloodfest look tame.

Chuckled at part of E.B. and (someone’s) conversation. One of them said something like “We’d be up shit creek” and E.B. says “Did they really talk like that?” Is that an inside joke or what? :smiley:

Looking forward to the second, third, fourth viewing, and the transcript from TurtleGirl.

While EB was still trying to scam Wolcott he said something to the effect of “The ancient Italians had a saying for this, only I can’t recollect what it is.”

Wolcott: “Does it mean I’m shit out of luck?”

EB: “Did they talk like that back then?”

And, yeah, I think it was totally self-referential. :smiley:

I have to say that I feel pretty well vindicated in claiming, as I did in last week’s thread, that Trixie was (at least possibly) aiming at Bullock in the final (non) confrontation with Swearingen. She’s clearly not Sol’s girlfriend in any ordinary sense. In fact, Sol seemed to say that it took his getting shot to get her to see him again. And it was also pretty obvious that 1) she still has deep feelings for Al and B) that if she’s not simply spying on Seth for Al (which I also suggested in the other thread) that at the very least she’s acting as a double agent.

But clearest of all is that she’s one fucked up woman.

I’m assuming he was thinking of caveat emptor, right?

Just what sort of post-prostitution job opportunities were there for a woman like Trixie in the 1870s?
I can’t imagine that her learning how to do accounts would improve her lot much in life.

Alma is definitely upset at Seth. I felt sorry for Mrs. Isringhausen. She has to travel from Chicago to the middle of nowhere to get fired for just trying to speak her mind.
Hope she doesn’t end up working at The Gem.

Mr. Wolcott is a great character. And his plan to get people to sell their claims is pretty shrewd.

But I kept thinking that we’re going to see a young Charles Foster Kane walk by.

I’ve heard people say that a kidney stone is about the most painful thing you can go through. And that’s today, with sedatives, ultrasonic destruction of stones in situ, and all the other fancy techniques we’ve got. I can’t imagine what it must have been like back then. Yeesh.

Al’s definitely a complex guy. He showed genuine compassion for Jewel, he has shown compassion for Trixie and the Reverend. Yet he was ready to kill the little girl. I guess he’s one of those ‘business is business’ guys, like Tony Soprano - another guy people have a love-hate relationship with.

A little more than that… Offering to pay was one thing, and Sol was ready to accept payment if it made her comfortable, but then she had to play the whore… I think she’s just uncomfortable being anything but a whore, so offering her services that way helped her keep her emotional distance.

I think she’s going to turn into a pain in the ass for the camp. She strikes me as a woman out to get revenge. Revenge for her husband, revenge for Farnum being the snake he is, revenge for losing Bullock. I wonder if she’s going to go up against Al? That would not be in her best interests, and would put Seth in a hell of a position.

That’s a puzzler, isn’t it? At first, I thought I understood - very rich man coming to town, and he likes to beat on whores. Sometimes kills them. But he pays huge sums for the privilege, so Maddie is willing to sacrifice a whore to him for the payoff, and split it with Joannie.

But when Joannie went in with the gun, Maddie said, “If she kills him, I’m going to have to work for the rest of my life.” So the payoff must be gigantic - certainly more than what he’d pay for a night with a whore, even if he did kill her. So it’s got to be a scam of some sort, but like you I didn’t catch it if it was. Looks like a second viewing is in order.

You and me both. I think Mr. Happy retracted up to about my liver just from some vestigial sense of self protection.

I meant to mention a couple of things that struck me as false notes in this episode, having to do with modern practices that would be anachronisms in the 1870s.

The most obvious was Cy’s offer of two weeks’ severance to anyone who wanted to leave. I’m no expert, but it seems to me that that is a convention of employment that only became common in the twentieth century. Even if it was practiced earlier, it strikes me as highly unlikely that in as rough and tumble a place as a gambling hall and whore house in Deadwood, the boss would feel obliged to offer the help severance pay.

The other was a little more subtle. In speaking with his nephew/stepson, Bullock said that “after work” they’d fish for that trout. The notion of going off to “work” and a “working day,” strike me, like severance pay, as conventions of the twentieth century, and out of place in Deadwood. I don’t know how firmly I’d insist on this, but I just don’t think a sheriff in a frontier camp would speak about going to work, or coming back from work.

Finally, I miss Ricky Jay. He seemed a natural for Deadwood, and it’s a shame he’s gone.

Apparently in the months between Season 1 and Season 2, the workers of the Bella Union organized and are now represented by the International Union of Whores, Faro Dealers, and Bartenders.

They were an unsung force in bringing order to the Old West.

Here’s my impression. Maddie said she deliberately held up the girl W contracted to be brought to Deadwood. When he arrived at Chez Ami, they went out of their way to antagonize him. I figured the idea was to get him riled up, causing him to beat the daylights out of a whore (but hopefully not kill her), and then to appeal to his employer for compensation. Joanie was unwilling to risk a girl’s life, so she volunteered, and planned on shooting him if it went too far.

But maybe there is a prior relationship between Hearst and Maddie, that makes the possible payoff, and the risk if W is killed, more significant, based on her comment.

I liked that W was impressed and mollified by Joanie’s precautions.

Anyway, I’m glad I hung in there long enough to start liking this show. I went from feeling bad for Al to snickering and back again during his procedure. Loved the interchange with Jane and Trixie. Also loved the contrasting levels of subtlety displayed by Cy and Farnum.

Man, I thought this too. And for some reason I thought Mr. W was going to turn out to be Jack the Ripper. (Yeah, I know the timelines probably aren’t right, but I also see a carved up whore in the future.)