Death, Aspergers Syndrome, Microwave Ovens.

I was wondering now is there any moving images that I can see! and where? and how would the smell be describes as?

I dont know how to get into the ask you a question page, I can see asked questions and your answers.

Another question, how can a person be cured of Asperger’s Syndrome, known as Autism Spectrum Dissorder. ASD

And what would happen if a microwave Oven could be operated with the door open, and ow far would the effect be?

Andrew Mckenna.

Not to be a jackass, but it helps to be coherent when you post.
As far as I know, you can’t “cure” ASD. It can be treated to minimize its effects (if it is bad enough to cause problems.)
As for the microwave oven: You can operate one with the door open. It isn’t hard. I wouldn’t do it, though. Think of the way stuff gets heated in there, and imagine that same thing happening to you or to whoever or whatever is nearby. I don’t know how far the effect would reach. The answer depends on too many things. Most likely it would reach far enough that the microwaves would be stopped and either absorbed or reflected by the walls of the room. I just really have no desire to test the effects of high amounts of microwave radiation under household condtions.

Welcome to the Straight Dope - and work on the coherency a little.

Can we stop with the criticizing of newbies for their posting style, already?

Yeesh.

Some of us who are less critical (or who have already had their coffee this morning) can perceive questions here, even if you can’t.

There is no “Ask Cecil a question” page–you have to send him an e-mail, although that’s no guarantee that he’ll answer your question.

His e-mail address is cecil {at} chicagoreader dot com. (addy munged to protect it from web spiders)

There is apparently no cure for Asperger’s Syndrome.
http://www.udel.edu/bkirby/asperger/
http://users.wpi.edu/~trek/aspergers.html

Yo, Mort, he’s not asking whether you can operate a microwave with the door open, or whether we think he ought to experiment to find out–he’s asking how far the microwaves would reach out into the room with the door open. Which is a good question, IMO.

I have no idea, but I expect that someone else will be along in a minute who does.

You cannot cure asperger’s, or any other disorder on the autism spectrum. My oldest son is autistic (another disorder “on the spectrum”), and we’ve had much success with intensive speech, occupational and behavioral therapy. Massive intervention at an early age seems to be the key. Asperger’s is increasingly covering a pretty broad range of disorders, ranging from “autism-light” to merely not being very sociable. Therapy needs to be tailored to the severety of the symptoms displayed. Many Asperger’s sufferers, though having a rough time in school, lead very productive and happy lives. It is often undiagnosed, and many sufferers aren’t… (i.e. they don’t actually suffer) because they don’t even know they have it - or that there’s anything wrong. I’ve been told I have Aspergers - and couldn’t care less.
Are you talking about a child here?

>> Can we stop with the criticizing of newbies for their posting style, already?

Ummmmm. . . . let me think. . . . No! I can’t.

If anyone, newbie or not, wants to communicate a question or other information, I would rather they be coherent and know how to communicate. there are other, better, boards for people who prefer to communicate like

Also, it is only polite to check how things work here before posting. At any rate, I have no idea where one can find moving images as Einstein has not invented cinamatography yet. Or is it Balboa?

cinematography, from kines, movement, (as in kinetic) and graphos, writing or image. = moving pictures

Microwaves aren’t especially attenuated by air, so the microwaves will travel until they meet something they can’t penetrate - the walls and occupants of the room. The intensity of the microwave radiation will fall of with the square of the distance. Everyone and everything in line-of-sight of the open microwave door will get hit with microwaves, but unless you’re right up against the microwave, it probably won’t be any more damaging than a strong heat-lamp.

The microwaves will travel indefinitely from the oven, which functions as a not terribly efficient antenna. The antenna will probably be highly directional, transmitting most of the radiation in the direction of the door opening. In the absence of material to absorb or reflect the microwaves, the radiation intensity will fall off roughly as 1/r^2 where r is the distance from the oven. There are radio transmitters that use radiation over the same bands used by microwave ovens, although the radiation levels are typically lower and the antennas are better designed.

In addition to the obvious danger of having your innards baked, exposing yourself to microwaves carries a risk of cataract formation. If you want to transmit microwaves, get an amateur radio license and learn about the microwave bands. Don’t use your oven.

Chava

Didn’t you all think when you saw the title of the thread, “What could death, Asperger’s Syndrome, and microwave ovens possibly have in common?”? Could there be any three more incongruous subjects? How about the following for a title: “Asparagus, the Theory of Relativity, and Dan Quayle”?

Well, relatively speaking, Dan Quayle is like an asparagus in the sense that an enema is like an umbrella. If you know what I mean. :wink:

This–

–clearly relates to the word “death” in the thread title, (“Are there any movies of people actually dying that you can watch? If so, where are they? What do dead people smell like?”) but I thought it was better just to ignore it.

I think “clearly” is too much of a stretch. Even if s/he is asking for movies that show people dying, why would he or she ask about the smell of said movies?

Not the smell of the movies, but the smell of dead people. Well, I should probably add a “probably” in there somewhere, as I’m not 100% sure.

Well, see, this is where coherency comes in. If the question had been framed decently I could have given him an answer.
I you want to see videos of dead people, check into a video named “Faces of Death.” I understand that a good bit of it is fake, but supposedly some of the scenes are real.
As for the smell, I can only describe a two week old corpse for you. Sour, musty, somewhat like a freshly baked loaf of bread - only cold instead of warm.
I’m going tell the story here once again since our new member seems to have an interest in morbid stuff.
I once shared an apartment with an old guy. He was retired, and traveled a lot. I hardly ever saw him around. The ideal roommate - he paid his part of the rent but I had the place pretty much to myself. One Sunday afternoon, our paths crossed and he told me that he had spent the last week hunting up a French guy that he’d helped during the war. By the way - the old guy was German and this all happened here in Germany. He told me that he was going to go to France to visit the fellow and that he would be gone for a week or two. I didn’t see him after that and pretty much assumed that he went on his trip as planned. I was working a lot of overtime in those days, so I wasn’t home much - and when I was at home I was pretty likely to be asleep.
For a few days I had been smelling something at the door to the apartment as I came in. I at first thought one of my cats had pissed on the carpet in a corner (which they tended to do if weren’t spending enough time with them) so I cleaned all of the usual spots. One evening, I came home early, and decided to watch a movie before bed. Since I didn’t have a TV, I went to the movie theater around the corner, and watched “Army of Darkness.” When I came home, the nasty smell was much stronger than it had ever been, so I went around sniffing.
My nose led me to the old guy’s room (where I never went without an invitation.) The door was closed, but it seemed to be coming from in there. I thought maybe he had left some food sitting out - he liked to buy half a baked chicken and keep it in his room and eat on it for a couple of days. I decided to go in and clean up the mess. When I opened the door, the nasty smell became overpowering. The lights were out, and there wasn’t a light in the hallway, but I could see a person shaped shadow on the floor.
It seems the old guy had never left his room. The Monday after I had last talked to him was apparently his last day. It seems he had a heart attack and died while I was at work.
Nasty story, nasty smell. The only thing I’ve ever smelled to match it was some quince fruit that went bad in my boss’s office one time when he was away on a long trip. It lacked the smell of putrid meat, but the sour and musty part was there and damn near made me sick.

http://www.straightdope.com/classics/a5_258.html

http://www.snopes.com/horrors/madmen/snuff.htm

Scene-by-scene transcript here, with debunking.
http://www.urbanlegends.com/movies/faces_of_death_review.html

http://www.sptimes.com/News/102600/Weekend/Lifting_the_mask_from.shtml

I’ve only had exposure to these through file trading networks,and most of them are BADLY faked.

One however was well done,it was a man getting his throat cut.

Others have already directly answered this question (the answer being quite simply, there is no cure).

Let me help with your terminological confusion.

It’s not strictly correct to say Asperger’s syndrome is “known as” Autism Spectrum Disorder (ASD). Rather, Aspergers’s is an autistic spectrum disorder. There are many disorders “on the autistic spectrum”. Technically, these disorders are known in medicine as “pervasive developmental delays” in the DSM-IV (the manual which gives diagnostic classification criteria). They include Asperger’s syndrome, autism, Rett’s syndrome, childhood disintegrative disorder, and “pervasive developmental delay not otherwise specified” or PDD-NOS, sometimes called simply PDD or “atypical autism”. All of the above are “Autistic spectrum disorders.” Occasionally you will see other things like ADD/ADHD, dysgraphia, etc. lumped in to the autistic spectrum but this is not correct.

The above is based on US usage. I understand that in the UK the term “ASD” is often used to mean “PDD-NOS”.

There is no cure for any of the above. There are symptomatic treatments and therapies which in many but not all cases can improve the quality of life and/or suffering, sometimes dramatically, sometimes not. Contrary to one poster above, Asperger’s is not simply “autism lite” - it is just different than autism, and can certainly cause “suffering” in those who have it. I will agree that many people with Asperger’s and indeed many people with autism can lead happy, productive lives.

We do not know with any certainty what causes any of the above, either, except for the known genetic component of Rett’s syndrome.

-mok

I work with a guy who we’ve ‘diagnosed’ with Asperger’s based on the purported symptoms, although no one has been rude enough to ask him if he knows he has it. Seems to be a textbook case, though. He’s received positively when it comes strictly to work, but he turns people off on every other level. His behavior does not seem to have ‘evolved’ in his 28 or so years, in that unsuccesful tendencies have not lost out in favor of more socially acceptable ones. I wonder if a person like this can ever hope to engage in meaningful social relationships. Otherwise I envision the condition just closing in on itself and getting worse. I might feel sorry for the guy if I was willing to get to know him better, but on the surface he appears to feel justified in the choices he makes.

One of the more disturbing things I have ever read was the description of a woman who commited suicide using a microwave oven. Granted, it was fiction. It was still quite graphic and the range of effect was about what I would expect. In addition to roasting her head and toasting her brains and burting her eyballs, there was also mention of the effect it had on her breast implants - I really don’t want to think about what that would look like.
So, as for range, the closer you are the more energy you will absorb and the worse you will be burned. If you have a 1000 watt microwave oven, then at the door you will have something like (pulling a number out of my ass) seven or eight hundred watts per square foot. Let’s say that the microwave emitter is one foot back from there and then calculate:
At 1 foot from the door (2 feet from the emitter) you would have 200 watts per square foot.
At 3 feet from the door (4 feet from the emitter) you have 50 watts per square foot.
At 7 feet from the door (8 feet from the emitter) you have 10 watts per square foot.
At 15 feet from the door (16 feet from the emitter) you have 2.5 watts per square foot.
Looks to me like you wouldn’t get far enough away to avoid pain (if not serious injury) within the dimensions of a normal kitchen.
These are probably worst case numbers, but I seriously do not want to find out. It should also be noted that the distribution won’t be even due to reflection within the oven cavity. There will be hot spots and safer spots distributed all over. You could conceivably stand in one spot and only get warmed while someone a foot away could get his gonads toasted.
BTW:
Second only to the microwave suicide for sheer frightfulness was the description of a microwave oven being used as a torture device. Shudder

**Mok, **
I didnot mean to imply Aspergers is merely “Autism-light”, just that it is increasingly used to describe symptoms ranging from those similar to less severe autism all the way to “not very sociable”. Treatment needs to be very much tailored to the individual. And the Asperger’s diagnosis in my opinion is not all that descriptive: it seems to have become the Spectrum equivalent to what the ADD label is for kids.
:rolleyes: