Death At Disney

A child collapses in the Mission:Space ride. He later dies.

http://www.cnn.com/2005/US/06/14/disney.death.ap/index.html

First they add warnings, then motion-sickness bags, then this.
Bad plan?

Just because a child is tall enough to go on a ride like that does not mean he should. His body can’t handle the force.
I’m sure a lawsuit will follow that we won’t hear anything about.

There have been a few deaths at the various parks over the years. Disney is pretty good at defending itself.

Obligatory Snopes link. Actually I suggest you check out all their stuff on Disney, fascinating reads.

Am I the only one who thinks, “it’s probably a lame-o ride if it doesn’t kill someone from time to time?”

I actually rode this ride last year with the fam. My 5 yr old nephew wanted to ride it over and over.

For the record, very few of the guests that have died at Disneyland / World was the fault of Disney’s.

Some may recall the story of a small girl who died about 15 years ago on Body Wars (a simulator ride), but the death was found to have been unrelated to the ride. We still dont know whether that’s the case here or not.

Regardless, you’re still safer at any Disney theme park than on the car ride there.

Um, tragic as this is, how can you expect us to form any opinions at all about the ride or the child? We have no autopsy, no idea about pre-existing conditions – we don’t even know whether or not the kid was sucking on a jawbreaker at the time.

Well said.

That poor kid. :frowning:

Am I the only one who thinks this will be the next media-manufactured “event” to fill the airwaves with? Now that Michael Jackson has been acquitted and there aren’t any runaway brides to fill the air time with, I mean.

I don’t know if it will be, but I truely wouldn’t be surprised.

What if a bride ran away from Michael Jackson to DisneyLand, where she died in a freak jawbreaker accident?

I sincerely hope so.

It doesn’t have legs.

There’s no scandal. No celebrity. It’s happened before. No multiple deaths. Not much to it. And Disney controls a sizeable chunk of media.

However, the timing of it is nice. . .right before the summer amusement park season. It’s kind of like a good shark attack on Memorial Day weekend.

Be patient. The media hordes will glom onto something else pretty soon. Some dude has to be strangling his pretty white wife somewhere.

scr4 has to stay on the twirling teacups.

I’m an awful person, because this made me giggle.

But what was the parent thinking, taking a 4 year old on a ride with that many warnings? I don’t know about you, but the last thing I’d want on a trip to Disney is a screaming, puking toddler.

(Note to Readers: My parents took me to Disneyworld when I was four years old and very ill. I have a firsthand account of what it’s like to deal with aforementioned screaming, puking toddler in a theme park. :wink: )

Not yet, anyway. If it turns out the parent was covering the kid’s mouth or otherwise asphyxiating them so they could blame the death on the ride, watch out.

You’re not. If the ride has killed someone, then you know it’s a good ride.

I hadn’t heard about this before now, but I can see how something like this could happen. I rode Mission: Space on my last trip to Epcot. I’m in good health and it took a lot out of me.

Then again, I did get suckered into riding it twice with only about 5 minutes in between rides. The group I was with had all gotten FastPasses, and a couple of people in the group decided they didn’t want theirs after I rode it, so I got another trip.

Test Track was better, though. Mission: Space is technically amazing, but the actual ride lacks the excitement of the better rides at Walt Disney World.

Eisner, you scamp! Get outta here!