Death by Farts

Robert Frost asked if the world would end by fire or ice. I think he also wrote a poem that said: Not with a bang, but a whimper.

Well, it turns out it may be with a whimper. In Siberia, global warming is melting the permafrost, and the ground is emitting methane gas. The same stuff scientists were pointing their fingers at cows for a few years ago. The areas that have been dug up are shooting fire up into the sky. Apparently, if this gas gets circulated around the globe it’s going to decimate agriculture and we’re all going to die.

Death by Farts. Seems kind of apropos, huh.

Since I don’t see a question in the OP, let’s move this to MPSIMS.

Colibri
General Questions Moderator

Job 41
31 He maketh the deep to boil like a pot: he maketh the sea like a pot of ointment.

Revelation 11:18
The nations were angry; and your wrath has come.
The time has come for judging the dead,
and for rewarding your servants the prophets
and your saints and those who reverence your name,
both small and great—
and for destroying those who destroy the earth.

I don’t see a cite, either. Got one?

NBC Nightly News —> MSN | Outlook, Office, Skype, Bing, Breaking News, and Latest Videos

Also —> http://www.bing.com/videos/watch/video/as-siberian-permafrost-melts-methane-seeps-out/6jz3rer?cpkey=16772407-d35c-4214-a1a9-a2e0d55c6d83||||

It’s not like the human race deserves to live, all things considered.

No, that was The Hollow Men by TS Eliot.

The solution proposed seems absurd, but it apparently worked in the limited experiment.
Salvation from trampling herd animals.
Shheeeesh.

“The roar of the masses could be farts.”

Other than that, I got nuthin.

Thanks for the link Duckster, and thanks for the correct author Shakester. I wasn’t sure of the source.

From the news story, the situation seems to be dire enough to have drawn the attention of several scientists. When I saw this on the news I wondered how global warming can be questioned and how/why it seems to have become a political issue. And since methane gas stinks, it just seems ironic to me that the world seems to be trying to gas itself to death. Nothing dramatic or awe-inspiring—but smothering itself with “farts.”

I think the Revelation quote was Mr. Duality’s cite.

Actually, methane is colorless and odorless.

I told Ivan not to pull Siberia’s finger. Damn vodka soaked Russians.

Then why does it stink so bad?

Human farts smell due to a variety of sulfur compounds. (In fact, according to the Wikipedia article, human farts contain only a very small percentage of methane.)

Natural gas has butyl mercaptan added to it so people can detect the presence of gas by the smell.

He who smelt it, dealt it.

He who denied it, supplied it.

He who deduced it, produced it.

He who attributed it, distributed it.

He who detected it, projected it.

He who perceived it, conceived it.

He who expressed it, compressed it.

He who related it, deflated it.

He who protested it, foam-crested it.

And that’s all I’m gonna say about that.

From the thread title, I though you’d been to my house. I’m surrounded by a bunch of boys — and I am of course including my husband in that.

Man Ellen Cherry, I do know what you mean.

So if natural methane is odorless etc. how did that guy in Siberia track it down/understand what it is? I mean, who digs a hole and then lights a match to see if something will ignite. Or is a “man” thing, like what Ellen Cherry is talking about? :confused:

Actually, I was thinking of the huge methane plumes in the Arctic Ocean.
http://www.digitaljournal.com/article/316125

Large amounts of methane bubbling to the surface would indeed create the appearance of boiling from the deep.

Recent related thread.