Decent propositions

Now that I’ve got your attention…

Tomorrow is election day in CA, with the attendant propositions (school taxes, environmental measures, NA gaming, etc.) This year, I’ve decided, from now on I’m going to vote based on the proposition as written. I’m no longer going to pay attention to propaganda that says, “Don’t vote in favor of the proposition that’s going to provide free vitamin C to schoolchildren, because the funds are going to be taken away from the old folks’ homes” and like that. It would take all my free time to know everything there is to know about the state budget, and who has their hand in whose pocket, so I’m going to make my decision based on the proposition, not the people who are backing it. I’m denying that there’s corruption in government, just that I’m not going to vote “no” on a good idea just because the funds might be juggled a certain way.

What do you all think?

I guess I’m just better off living with my inner tensions.
—Snoopy

What are you doing after the elections?

No, wait a minute, that’s not a decent proposition at all, is it?

Sorry, I’m a little out of practice . . .
Dr. Watson
“Government neither subsists nor arises because it is good or useful, but solely because it is inevitable.” – George Santayana

It is primary day here in Georgia tomorrow too. I’m not sure how your idea will work out. It would seem a challenge not to wonder at who is backing a particular measure, and why. I hope it works for you, but finding out the ‘why’s’ about the measures tells you a small part of who it will benefit and how much it will cost.

Any special reason you’ve decided on this particular course?? Or are you just tired of the rhetoric??

I’m tired of hearing the school board with the same tired ‘getting rid of the trailers’ and the measure gets passed, and there are
STILL more trailers. No one, it seems is ever held accountable for their promises. That can get pretty tiresome.

Judy

“It’s hard to avoid reading because ever wheres we go, reading is there.”

I’m get really uneasy wondering about how many people must not even read their voter pamphlets and vote based on the mud-slinging commercials (this goes for both propositions and candidates.) I’ve often seen commercials claiming the most sensational things and when I get around to reading my booklet I wonder what the hell they were talking about. I’m glad I had the internet to help weed through the mumbo-jumbo this year, too. I thought the Bradley vs. Gore on the issues comparison on Bill Bradley’s site was quite an eye-opener, as is the coverage on the Washington Post site.

“I don’t know…I don’t know.” – St. DooDah

That’s basically the only way I vote, Sandy. I hate all the propaganda, suggesting somehow I’m illiterate and need their explanation of what the proposition “really” means. Whatever.

BTW, I’m a registered Independent, mainly because I find both major political parties to be equally screwed up (as well as equally decent). The only thing that sucks about that is that now BOTH parties call my home trying to sway my opinion.

Thank God those phone calls stop today.

Teaching: The ultimate birth control method.

Poster You’d Most Like to Date–Female
Second Official SDMB Awards

Laura’s Stuff and Things

All I can say, Rilchiam, is that you’re braver than I. The thought of trying to decide what consequences those propositions have boggles my mind. But hey, what doesn’t kill you makes you stronger, right?

Usually, I read the pro/con arguments from the League of Women Voters, and also take guidance from the positions on those propositions taken by the political party closest to my views (peace and freedom party, or green party.)

But I applaud you for actually deciding on the text of the proposition. That seems eminently sensible on the face of it

Anti: What VV and Ruffian said.

Is California the only state that has pages of propositions on every ballot?

I guess I’m just better off living with my inner tensions.
—Snoopy