Deer! Deer! Shit!

Hoooly shit. That’s a really bad day for a kid.

I was eating McDonald’s mystery meat when I read this, and I still cracked up. That’s a great story.

I was out in St. Louis once, at a state-run outdoor shooting range. There were very strict rules about what you could aim at (for obvious safety reasons). On the skeet range, where you were required to be aiming up at the clay “pigeons”, the deer were blithley munching the lawn not 100 feet away, constant gun noise notwithstanding. They cleverly avoided the rifle/handgun range, where you aim low and which was only another 200 feet away. They were taunting us.

mischievous

Don’t worry, I wasn’t seriously suggesting that her husband should’ve absconded with the carcass. I don’t know about other states but here in Ohio that is tantamount to poaching.
You can, however, get on a list. When the highway patrol gets a call on a dead deer, they go out, inspect, and if it’s fresh and salvagable they will call the next name on the list. Day or night. You have so much time to get to the scene and take the deer. I know the thought of this turns some stomachs but I try to think of this way; at least it’s not going to waste. A coworker’s son aquired a deer this way. A huge buck that was hit on a rural road. He gave some of the meat to some of the less fortunate families in his church and of course we got some here at work. :wink: Yum. Thank Og my 17 year stint as a vegetarian had ended.

Made me think of this call to 911 - bigducky.com - PREMIUM DOMAIN FOR SALE at DNDX.com

Aren’t you supposed to speed up when you’re going to hit a deer, to better send it up over the vehicle as opposed to through the windshield? OR is that a UL?

Sounds like a good experiment for the “Myth Busters”. :smiley: :eek: Don’t we have a Myth Buster consultant doper?

Send a bambalance! I love this one (if it’s the one I’m thinking of).

Now of course, driving around I see lots of deer, I’ve avoided them all so far. :smiley: When I’m in the woods looking for one to shoot (archery or firearm, in legal season), I’m not so lucky. :mad:

A large raccoon in the 13mile Woods in Northern NH, wasn’t so lucky.

One cat (dead), and a dog (which spun around 3 complete times, and ran away), closer to home, also have fallen victim to my bumper.

If I was to hit a deer though, it’d go directly to the back of my Subaru Baja, if able to drive away, or into the back of the Wife’s truck in an instant! :smiley: Venison good… Butler eats good tonight!

One fall, I hit three deer (not all at once). The last one totalled the car. The stupid thing was, it was the same road I took home every night, I went slow, etc. You just can’t see them sometimes.

On a trip to Ste Sault Marie, I did the sliding slalom through more deer than I was able to count. I do not believe that my sphincter has been the same since that awful clinching! I’m not a fabulous driver. I’m a good enough driver that I stay out of accidents (with humans), but not one that can slip and slide on ice and snow through a herd of deer with grace and skill. I did it was luck and fear. Ugh!

Here, I’ve had close calls with two kangaroos. They are scarier looking to hit than deer. Yikes!

Cheers,
G

Now that there is good advice…

I think where the deer goes has more to do with the shape of the car than the speed. Little sporty thing you end up with deer in your lap. Huge pick up or SUV deer ends up in the radiator.

I was headed to the airport a few days ago and the traffic report at about 7:00 AM mentioned avoiding a certain area of highway as it was still being cleaned up and was closed. At around 1:00 AM a tractor trailer carrying about 700 bales of hay (reports differed slightly) swerved to miss a deer and flipped. I thought, you’re a tractor trailer. Just go ahead and hit the deer! Better that than closing down a major highway for six hours.

I guess it’s just instinct to swerve though.

So did they let the deer keep the hay?

Last February my father bought my sister a 2002 Nissan Altima from a guy in the area. I went with him to pick it up, and on the way back I was following him in my Ranger when I see a deer run across the road…

Yup, my dad hit a deer in brand-new-to-us car. About 15 minutes after we first owned it. The deer did a kickass 720º, landed on his side in the median, got up, charged across the two southbound lanes and jumped an 8 foot fence into the woods. Fortunately it was a glancing blow so there was only a dent and some paint damage on the hood. :smiley:

Um, if you have time to “speed up”, you have time to slow down/swerve/pray to a higher deity/otherwise take action to actually avoid hitting said deer. My vote goes toward Urban Legend, or rural variant thereof.

Stranger

I had a friend that bought a brand new 1978 Camaro like the one in the link.
He boyfriend borrowed it the first night she had it to drive home in. He lived in the mountains. He came around a curve at 45mph (yeah, right) and found a herd of wild burros in the middle of the road.
He hit a burro. the shovel nose flipped the burro up and rotated it 270 degrees. One of the legs came in the windshield and broke the driver’s jaw. The rest of the body they drug the leg out leaving the roof in the shape of an A. Not much snow would collect on that roof. :smiley:

Baby sister and her husband, on their motorcycle, hit a deer one night in Iowa. Bad business. He was in a coma for a week and she was pretty banged up, broken bones, etc.

She still does not want to ride but he is talking about another bike.

When we were visiting Zee German Relations a couple years ago, we noticed mini deer skulls with antlers on the wall in one of the shirttale relations houses.

We asked what the heck was that?

Deer .

Deer with heads the size of a medium sized dog. Huh.

We were pretty sure that it wasn’t Our kinda deer, but whatever. No sense in crushing their self esteem bragging about our white tail.

So, out we are driving and in the middle of the road looked to be a pack of medium sized dogs…as we got closer we saw it was a herd of deer. We busted out laughing and Zee German relations didn’t understand why. We must have looked like we were insane the way we laughed over these knee sized creatures.

Fast forward to Zee German Relations visiting us in Hooterville. We are gamboling in our ancient 3/4 ton pickup down washboard, tree lined roads and out merrily jumps a deer before us. It’s head nearly over the hood of this big truck, flaunting its metal crushing and windshield damanging powers before us.

We hit the brakes and collectively say, " SHIT!"

Zee German Cousin said, " Vhut vus zhat?"

“THAT was a DEER!” we pointed at the retreating backside flipping us off with its white tail. " A real deer."

BMW, VW and Porsches kick Detroit’s ass, but we gots us some big ass deer here. Yeefuckinghaw!

Take that.

Freaky…after reading this thread toward the end of the workday yesterday, I was on my way home and I was still in town, with streetlights and everything, not out in the darkened country closer to my house, and here comes a deer across the road! It was going from the golf course to the driving range (both right in town), near the gas station. There was a lot of glare so I was lucky to see it. Needless to say I took my time and used my brights whenever possible for the rest of the ride.

Well, very few deer around here but a lot of kangaroos where we used to live in ACT. When my mother, my brother and I moved to Perth a few years ago, Dad was still in Canberra finishing off a contract.

Let me just preface this with the knowledge that earlier in the year, around the middle of January, Dad had bought a three-year old Jaguar Sovereign which was previously owned by the British Commissioner - it was his chaffeured car and hence in great nick.

In September of that year, Dad hits a kangaroo. His version of the story is as such:

“I was driving home along a main road and a kangaroo bounced out in front of me. I braked relatively hard but hit it on the front right hand side of the car. It spun past the car and was lying on the ground when I stopped and got out. I checked the front of the car - fat 'roo shaped dent in the headlight region. I looked at the 'roo. It had gotten to its feet gingerly, looked at me, gave me the finger and bounced off to give someone else the fright of their life and $800 worth of damage to their car.”

Professional driver here …

It’s not instinct, just plain common sense. When you’re driving down a road with 80,000+ lbs under your butt you soon learn this rule: if anything bigger than a large dog is in the highway, it can kill you.

(Don’t matter - cows, deer, moose, elk …

'cept for Yugos …

those you aim for …

jus’ like the rabbits

thump-thump-thump) :eek:

:smiley:

Lucy