Define "Politically Correct" + Give 2 examples in your life worth raging at

You can say this with equal panache whether you’re sitting in a fine upholstered Edwardian chair, smoking a pipe in front of your leatherbound books, or puffing a cigar in your Lazy-Boy with Fox News playing in the background. As long as you’ve no skin in the game, as long as you’ve never been on the ass end of the social imbalance, as long as you’re just commenting from on high about things that don’t affect you, the optics are just spiffy.

So educate me. How is PC saving the world?

PC isn’t saving the world, but calling people out when they’re being assholes is making the world a much better place for minorities.

So the solution to assholes is more assholes.

Got it

Calling out an asshole automatically makes one an asshole?

Got it.

I’m not the OP, but so far no one has actually done the second part of the title:

(emphasis mine)

Sadly, I have never been the victim of the PC police, from what I can recall. I’ve never lost my job for telling inappropriate jokes at work or being a racist asshole. It’s probably because I don’t tell those jokes at work or (I don’t think I) am a racist asshole.

I kind of feel left out. Reading posts by many conservatives here, as a straight white guy I should really feel under siege by the PC police, but no one has gone after me yet. I just sit here and live my upper middle class life in peace. Darn.

Well, you’ve certainly got “being an asshole” down, that’s for sure.

If one thinks women are being treated poorly than giving money, volunteering, and sitting on the board of a women’s shelter is helpful.

If one thinks disabled kids have it rough, than donating the materials and time to build fences at a Therapeutic Riding Center is helpful.

99% of PC activism is empty virtue signaling. Perhaps it’s even negative, as it allows PC warriors to:

1: feel good and superior to the other lesser folk they “call out.”

1. Excuse them from actually doing something meaningful.

Like I said, mildly annoying.

That’s so brave.

Pretty much. Seriously. Think it through. What is admirable about getting into a pissing contest with a skunk?

From a link in your own linked article about this story:

IOW, nobody was “forced” to close the pop-up burrito cart. They got negative publicity from people who didn’t like their business practices and became unpopular as a result. What’s your objection to people publicly criticizing business practices they disapprove of?

It’s not “getting into a pissing contest with a skunk”, it’s correctly identifying a skunk as a skunk. There’s nothing particularly admirable about correctly identifying a skunk, but there’s nothing assholish about it either.

As opposed to pretending the skunk doesn’t stink and that there is no malingering odor after it leaves?

It can also make it difficult and inadvisable for people to have frank and important conversations for fear of running afoul of whatever is currently the offends me flavor of the week, dampening actual communication, and increasing social rifts

More of that old “I am highly offended that you didn’t talk nice to me while I was spewing hate” bullshit?
Stuff it.

Opposing viewpoint:

You may find it annoying for people to discuss racism or other bigotry in public, but that doesn’t mean you’re right about its being “empty” or “negative”.

How? Do you have an actual specific example of this? Because I personally have not had any problem having frank and important conversations all the damn time, and I’m perplexed at why you think current mores are “dampening communication” and “increasing social rifts”.

They may be increasing your awareness of existing social rifts, but that’s a good thing, right? If a problem exists, you want to be aware of it, yeah?

Your first post was to call me an asshole. Pretty much proving my point.

You proved my point-I merely stated the obvious.

Ooh, that does sound bad! Got any examples?

:rolleyes:

In reality, “political correctness” exists solely as a buzzword. It’s a replacement for an argument, usually used by assholes. What does it mean? Well, it means whatever the asshole wants it to. You’d rather that people not make rape jokes? That’s “PC”. You’d like people to care about the wage gap? That’s “PC”. You want to talk about basically any social issue and how it relates to video games, particularly feminism or rape culture? That’s “PC” and you’re a “cuck”. (And you’d better hope your infosec is really good, because 4chan has entirely too much time on its collective hands.) If the term ever had meaning, that meaning is lost to overuse by the bullshit brigade.

And of course if you ask people about it in polls, they’re going to think negatively of it - it’s a snarl word. It’s like asking people what they think of “feminazis” or “social justice warriors” - the meaning is inherently negative because it’s designed to be. What it actually means, though? It’s such a broad, vague term (by design) that it could mean anything.